Ordered Galaxy Note Thursday

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I ordered a GNote and am anxious to try it out. I currently own a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon but am considering switching carriers and selling it. I never thought I would sell the Nexus but, here I am. I guess I'll be hanging out here now.

If any of you who have or have had the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, how does it compare to the Note? I've watched the comparison vids on youtube but, it always nice to here form people on here also.

I like the Nexus but, one of my issues is not being able to use LTE in my home and, the lack of OEM accessories, like a nicer car dock and desk dock ( that utilize the pogo pins). Also I'm just a spoiled Geek and want to try the GNote LOL!

I like how the GNote has LTE and Hspa+ both of which works in my city. At&t works well in my home also and I've never had issues with them.

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a GNote and am anxious to try it out. I currently own a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon but am considering switching carriers and selling it.
I switched from Verizon to at&t just for the Note. I was tired of Verizon not having a "worthy" phone for me to use an upgrade on. I do not regret a thing.

If any of you who have or have had the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, how does it compare to the Note?
I had the GNexus and LG Spectrum since December and returned them both. I think it is obvious why I returned the Spectrum. I returned the GNexus because of almost "every reason people HATE Samsung phones."

It had a buggy radio... cheap plastic... poor camera... slow-locking GPS... poor battery life... and there was no Verizon LTE in my area (and won't be, if ever).

I can honestly say that the Note is the exact opposite of everything I found wrong in the GNexus. It is a terrific phone. Great reception, quality build, one of the best cameras, fastest GPS locking, wonderful battery life, and at&t's HSPA network is faster than Verizon's 3G on the Nexus.

I am totally thrilled with my decision to leave Verizon and purchase the Note.

Also I'm just a spoiled Geek and want to try the GNote LOL!
You are in good company I think. Geeks love the Note.

I like how the GNote has LTE and Hspa+ both of which works in my city. At&t works well in my home also and I've never had issues with them.
Me too. at&t works better in my area than Verizon. at&t has 8 towers in my region, Verizon has one and uses at&t's to operate their network from. When LTE comes to my area, it will be at&t first and Verizon will play catch-up.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I switched from Verizon to at&t just for the Note. I was tired of Verizon not having a "worthy" phone for me to use an upgrade on. I do not regret a thing.

I can honestly say that the Note is the exact opposite of everything I found wrong in the GNexus. It is a terrific phone. Great reception, quality build, one of the best cameras, fastest GPS locking, wonderful battery life, and at&t's HSPA network is faster than Verizon's 3G on the Nexus.

I am totally thrilled with my decision to leave Verizon and purchase the Note.

You are in good company I think. Geeks love the Note.

Me too. at&t works better in my area than Verizon. at&t has 8 towers in my region, Verizon has one and uses at&t's to operate their network from. When LTE comes to my area, it will be at&t first and Verizon will play catch-up.

That's really good to here. It makes me more excited about getting the gnote. I've already ordered some cases for it and the desk & car docks.

I agree, the battery life on the gnex is really bad, even after I manually updated to ICS 4.04. That update didn't help the 4g reception either. It shows I have more bars but, as soon as a try to browse, it slows down and reverts back to 3G, which is very very slow.

I have two other VZW devices so, if something ever comes up in the future that I like I can use those upgrades on it. I don't care for the selection they have now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I need to stop reading this forum....
I have the tbolt and can't upgrade til november and my contract is next march.
By my calculations that's $200 early termination fee and $300 to grab the note on ATT
I think in my area (Austin,Tx) the difference in LTE wouldn't matter between the two carriers. I was on ATT years ago before getting into smartphones.
I'm really not hearing anything bad about the Note....unfortunateluy :)
It would be nice to know if VZW will get one or if HTC will come up with something. It would suck to wait til november and still not have a nice 5.3" option on VZW. It's the only way I'll upgrade.

Reactions: leshaw

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Just some food for thought: some at&t stores are allowing discounts of up to $150 on the Note to match online pricing through a promotion that ran a few weeks ago. I paid $150 for my Note and got the Microcell for an additional $150. I got a really great deal.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I need to stop reading this forum....
I have the tbolt and can't upgrade til november and my contract is next march.
By my calculations that's $200 early termination fee and $300 to grab the note on ATT
I think in my area (Austin,Tx) the difference in LTE wouldn't matter between the two carriers. I was on ATT years ago before getting into smartphones.
I'm really not hearing anything bad about the Note....unfortunateluy :)
It would be nice to know if VZW will get one or if HTC will come up with something. It would suck to wait til november and still not have a nice 5.3" option on VZW. It's the only way I'll upgrade.

I'll be paying about a $250.00 early termination fee. It doesn't bother me because I will sell my Gnex with the cases on Ebay to offset the cost and probably come out on the plus side. I get a pretty decent deal through my job so this makes the switch easier also.

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes that helps that you have the nexus to sell. I don't think I'd get much for my tbolt......I went and played with the note again today at best buy. I really need to stop doing that foolishness.....

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on Friday. It was with a heavy heart that I switched from t-mobile. I hope my experience with this phone will improve my attitude about At&t.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes that helps that you have the nexus to sell. I don't think I'd get much for my tbolt......I went and played with the note again today at best buy. I really need to stop doing that foolishness.....

LOL! I've been wanting to do the same thing. The BB in my area has them all turned off so, I may try the At&t store.

I got mine on Friday. It was with a heavy heart that I switched from t-mobile. I hope my experience with this phone will improve my attitude about At&t.

I hear you, T-mobile is the best of all of them as far as customer service. If they had the Note and LTE, I would have definitely went with them. Heck, if they had the Gnote with just their HSPA+ (which is very fast in my city) I would still consider it.

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
does att do anything to try and steal customers away from vzw?
I know in the cable market they would give debit bonus cards if you dropped the other cable provider and went over to their uverse. I think it was like $300. Not sure if that's still going on but I sure wish they would do that in the wireless world. Pay off the early termination charge (up to certain amount) to get your business for a two year contract and the profit on the phone. Sure seems like they would come out ahead....

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I know in the cable market they would give debit bonus cards if you dropped the other cable provider and went over to their uverse. I think it was like $300. Not sure if that's still going on but I sure wish they would do that in the wireless world. Pay off the early termination charge (up to certain amount) to get your business for a two year contract and the profit on the phone. Sure seems like they would come out ahead....

I don't think they do? I wanted at&t to wave the $36 fee they charge customers to change their mobile number and was told by a Manager that it wasn't possible?

I was actually porting my number from Sprint to at&t so I could keep the same phone number on my Note.

When I purchased the Note I was given a temporary number to use during the 30 day return period before making my final decision to keep the Note. Since I did decide to keep the Note, afterall I just couldn't go back to the smaller form factor, and at&t was gaining an account from Sprint, they still didn't want to budge. I paid the $36 to change from the temporary number to my old Sprint number, but to me it seems like it would have been a small price to pay to gain additional market share.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I don't think they do either. It would be nice if they did. When I went to the At&t store to play with the Gnote, they had the wireless data turned off on all phones. I don't know if they were trying to save bandwidth or what but that seems pretty stupid. When you go to a Verizon store LTE is enabled on all devices that have it.

It kind of has me worried that LTE coverage is not good in my area but, the map shows otherwise. I can't see any reason why they would have it turned off. Maybe they just don't want potential customers using up too much data but, that still doesn't make sense if the network is solid.

I guess I will find out when I get the phone. I have 30 days to try it.

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Yea it does seem like they would be a bit more cutthroat to steal users. Even in commercials they don't seem to go after each other as much. As I recall verizon was hitting att pretty hard. Maybe the CEOs got together at a bbq and said lets just keep screwing em over with data plans and we will all be rich :cool:
I just looked at craigslist and it looks like the thunderbolt is selling for $200-$250 which was higher than I suspected....hmmmm
So $200 early termination...and where was this $150 online deal for the Note? ahhh nevermind I really need to stop this foolishness...

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
You folks bring up a great point.. I don't know about VZN but ATT will offer NOTHING to existing customers to say with them where incentives are concerned. They just remind you about the rollover minutes and the fact that ALL devices on the network are simultaneous voice/data. In their defense though, about 4 months or so ago, the gave me 1000 rollover minutes for free as a bonus which is nice. That's worth about $100 or so I guess.

Is EVERYONE here that owns a Note happy with it and did anyone switch from an iPhone? I really want to make the switch to something much faster than my iPhone 3G (which won't take much, LOL), but am really on the fence which direction to go.

Thanks. :)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
You folks bring up a great point.. I don't know about VZN but ATT will offer NOTHING to existing customers to say with them where incentives are concerned. They just remind you about the rollover minutes and the fact that ALL devices on the network are simultaneous voice/data. In their defense though, about 4 months or so ago, the gave me 1000 rollover minutes for free as a bonus which is nice. That's worth about $100 or so I guess.

Is EVERYONE here that owns a Note happy with it and did anyone switch from an iPhone? I really want to make the switch to something much faster than my iPhone 3G (which won't take much, LOL), but am really on the fence which direction to go.

Thanks. :)

I got my first Iphone (Iphone 4) the last year it was exclusively on At&t. I really like the rollover minutes.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So I am on day 5 with the Note and so far everything is good. Size is definitely a factor. The screen resolution is mesmerizing. A co-worker bought the Razor Maxx and we put the two side by side. The Note looks just amazing. On the negative, I have found myself getting tired holding it. I use Flext T9 keyboard which has swype on it. It's almost impossible for me to swype with one hand. My major concern so far is the reception I am not getting while at work. I work in sought of remote location and AT&T service sucks here. With T-Mobile I was getting decent downloads speeds. I am hoping if I keep this phone AT&T will improve the network here. I am bending over backwards for this phone. T-mobile is like a girl that you really like but just doesn?t bring the magic in the bedroom. AT&T brings the magic but has issues. Unbelievable!

schrochem

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
On vzw I have the 5 friends thing but really minutes aren't a concern. I think I use 45 or so a month because no Ike to mobile don't count so its just landlines. Does att not have that?