Tethering

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Will there be a native tethering app/settings/toggle built into this, without paying for the extra tethering plan?

I know that with Froyo (or was it Gingerbread?) there was an option in settings that allowed a user to do this.

I know 'we won't know until it's released', but i was seeing if anybody got to play with a device, and/or would know the answer.

Stock, non-rooted. Although, I will probably root anyways.

artisan

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Infuse has it on Froyo, so I'd be willing to bet that it's also there in the S2.

One caveat - on my Infuse's stock ROM it had a warning that using the Mobile AP required a tethering plan, so I'm also willing to bet that the S2 will have some way to track usage so AT&T can automatically add tethering to your account.

A different ROM may help with this, though there's no way to be sure. I had a Captivate and used that extensively on a Custom ROM but only with mobile devices, never with a laptop or something that would use excessive data.

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, AT&T doesn't actually do anything. They're all talk. With Android devices.

iPhones are different, they change your plan.

litesout

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
They warn you first, then from what I've read they just charge you for the data. They don't add the tethering, just charge you the data overage rate. There's an app called Tether that gets around this. I've been using it for almost a year on my Blackberry on the old unlimited data plan and they haven't caught me or charged me for it.

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, AT&T doesn't actually do anything. They're all talk. With Android devices.

iPhones are different, they change your plan.

I've been lucky with tethering on my jailbroken iPhone 4 not to get a warning or switched off of my unlimited plan. I usually don't go over 2GB when I am tethering, though. When it comes to Android and Apple, I don't think AT&T is targeting the lower data users.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The Android tethering feature will be there but it won't work unless you have tethering plan on your account.

You will need to root your phone (not an easy task to do on S2) in order to remove that account checking module.

Since Google plugged most of the Android exploits that was used for rooting, rooting S2 (or any new GingerBread phones) will require flashing a custom kernel.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
^^ source?

And if true....awesome..../sarcasm.

That's how it works today on Samsung Captivate (with Froyo or later firmware) and Infuse. Instructions on how to root your phone is on XDA site. And since there is no US carrier versions of S2 released yet, you can search for how to remove the TetheringManager module on Captivate forum on XDA.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty