question about wifi n 4g

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
so as soon as i got my phone i tested the web
it almost didnt even load and it was so slow, i have 1-3 bars of reception at home but none of my phones ever had good reception

i used wifi, and it was fast, and in the top part of my phone i saw that only the wifi symbol existed, if i turn off wifi i see either an H or a E

is it bad taht my phone is always saying h or e? it never says 3g like my old phone did

i dont want my phone battery to be worse because its constnatly trying to use 4g or something because i have no reception, but even though i have 1 bar shouldnt 4g be fast? it is slow as hell at my house

i just checked my battery status and 6 hours in im in yellow battery life, i dont know what is classified as heavy use but i downlaoded 10+ apps, tested youtube, mediahub, facebook, 3 minutes of gps

lot of browsing looking for apps

does this sound normal? my phone was turned on at store, came home plugged it in, and used it at the same time. i heard you have to charge it while turned off..i hope this is not the problem

im having frustrations with android OS right now because im not even sure if things i turn off are actually off, i turned off gps but in running apps its still there? so is a buncha things i dont use, so i "stopped" them

im gona turn wifi off when i sleep but wouldnt that force my phone to try hard to regain signal str and use 4g/kill battery/ etc

Last edited:

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The H is the same as the 3G, Just another name for it. The problem is you are having the same problem many have on AT&T's very slow HSPA+ Network. You obviously are in a area without the reverse back haul set up. I refuse to use such a great phone without the proper Network behind it. I refused to extend my AT&T contract for that reason, they wont even tell you where they are currently set up with the reverse back haul working. I could only get 100 killabits DL speeds in Boston, that is pathetic. I checked out T-Mobile and would you believe I am getting over 9 MB on the DL and over 3.5 MB upload. So to me AT&T better invest some of their surplus cash into their lousy Network.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
i am looking at pics of other users same phone and they have a 3g symbol on the top left
i have yet to see it
are you sure H is replacing 3g symbol?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the H+ symbol. The Infuse has the H+ (or 4G can't remember for sure LOL) symbol. The Inspire has H+. I haven't seen 3G symbol on any of the phones.

H+ is the same as "4G". H is the same as "3G".

Low signal will have a huge impact on battery, because the phone will be looking for a stronger signal. Also, if you are doing stuff on your phone the screen is on, and the screen is always the biggest battery user on a phone.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
ya basically my screen and wifi was on 95% of the 6 hours my battery was on

however why does this guy have 3g but than if he has the same phone
Support SG2 Battery dies in 10 hours? - Android Forums
scroll down
it might not be the att version but its still the same phone so am i over reacting by not seeing this 3g and only seeing H?

how come if i disable wifi and the 3g my web doesnt work but market place does T_T so confused with my first smart phone

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

scroll down
it might not be the att version but its still the same phone so am i over reacting by not seeing this 3g and only seeing H?

how come if i disable wifi and the 3g my web doesnt work but market place does T_T so confused with my first smart phone

He is likely out of the US.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

scroll down

Do you mean you're disabling wifi and turning mobile network connection off?

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
i turned off both to see what functions
i turned off the data packet thing
and the h symbol dissapeared

thanks i think maybe he was out of usa than that makes sense

can any one on here confirm that they never seen 3g ?

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
i turned off both to see what functions
i turned off the data packet thing
and the h symbol dissapeared

thanks i think maybe he was out of usa than that makes sense

can any one on here confirm that they never seen 3g ?

Never seen 3G.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
GPS won't use any power unless it's being accessed by an app. I've ran tests and haven't noticed any kind of difference in battery life with it on versus off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez