Trying to root is driving me crazy

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready to just forget it. I can't boot into download mode. It simply won't do it. I've read the sticky, almost all the postings in that thread and all I want to do is forget it and go out for dinner. One post says, "do this". Another post says, "No, do this:" I'm new to Android (2.5 mos) and don't have the lingo down yet but, when it says to hold volume down and press the power key, that's pretty simple. Still, nothing happens. My phone just boots up as usual.

Can anyone make this a simpler process for someone with an Android single digit IQ? :)

Sooo frustrated...

kenmitch

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Power off the phone and then plug USB cord into phone(only the phone) hold the power + - buttons down and plug the USB cable into the computer.

Just noticed he changed his guide in the above posters link.

Reactions: tunie

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Power off the phone and then plug USB cord into phone(only the phone) hold the power + - buttons down and plug the USB cable into the computer.

Just noticed he changed his guide in the above posters link.
It worked! It worked! Good grief. I searched everywhere trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, but couldn't find anything. 100 thank you's for you, oh Android guru <---bowing at feet> :)

One more thing. One post says to use ODIN 1.8, another says to use 1.7. I can't find 1.8, so I plan to use 1.7. Is that okay?

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This is the guide I followed and it worked for me:
[How To] Easily Root your SGS2 - xda-developers

I'm "new" to android (my first android phone) but I've done some manual updating for my GF's G2 and this guide was pretty easy to follow for me. Feel free to ask me any questions before you start.

Thanks. I did read that and there they said to use ODIN 1.8, which I can't find anywhere. I also still couldn't boot my phone into download mode. I did what kenmitch suggested and it worked. Sooo, now on to rooting, I hope. I hate when I read someone did this in less than 5 minutes when I've been at it for over an hour and still, no root. I may pop back in, especially if I brick my phone, which is entirely possible :)

Thank you so much!

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to go for it. My phone shows the Android icon and says "Downloading...Do not turn off target!!" I ran Odin, but the directions say to choose the recovery download I did before. That's Clockwork mod recovery 5.0.2.3. I extracted the rar so, when I try to select something in that folder under PDA in ODIN, there isn't anything there. I selected the original rar file. Odin runs in less than a second and says, <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0/failed0). In other words, nothing happens. The zImage file in the Clockworks folder isn't appearing when I try to add it to PDA in ODIN. I'm on XP. Is that a problem?

I'm so at a loss and I'm afraid to do anything because I don't want to brick my phone.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I did some more reading...have mercy:confused:...and found ODIN 1.82. It recognized my phone and voila PASS! Ran SuperOneClick and hurray! I'm rooted! Now I can restore from TB...finally.

I don't know why the sticky direction to press vol down and power didn't work, but I can't thank you enough for getting me through that part.

Thanks to both of you for helping me. :)

brendonlee

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Rooting will make google videos not work, right? Thats the only thing that has been keeping me from rooting - I love being able rent a movie on the go...

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII

Emcee

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Rooting will make google videos not work, right? Thats the only thing that has been keeping me from rooting - I love being able rent a movie on the go...

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII

I've never heard that, but I haven't tried either.

Emcee

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I did some more reading...have mercy:confused:...and found ODIN 1.82. It recognized my phone and voila PASS! Ran SuperOneClick and hurray! I'm rooted! Now I can restore from TB...finally.

I don't know why the sticky direction to press vol down and power didn't work, but I can't thank you enough for getting me through that part.

Thanks to both of you for helping me. :)

That same issue bothered me when I first tried. I believe the download mode method is different on the international model, which is where those instructions were taken from.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, you could have fooled me :) Now that I'm rooted, I keep getting an error and fc on sys device management. It hasn't happened for a bit now and I can't figure out what caused it. I did have some quirks using apps I restored that were on my Infuse, so I downloaded them again and haven't seen the issue since. Hopefully it's fixed.

TB didn't restore my gmail settings so I have to manually do that I guess. I have 8 accounts...what a pain. TB also didn't restore my folders containing my custom ringtones and notifications. I'll have to do that on my pc, I guess. Not so thrilled with Titanium right now...

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, my phone is now possessed by demons. Everything is force closing. I get sms, but the text is missing, and the app fc's all the time. App mngmnt fc. Messaging, fc. On top of that, my phone now says i9000 or something like that instead of I 997 for att. I'm going to undo root and just stick with stock. Typing is even a problem. Everything is squirrely. I don't know how anyone else has rooted, but I must have done something wrong. My phone is totally messed up.:-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress