Unroot my phone, pleeeeez!

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
So, I rooted yesterday after I picked up my phone. Restored from TB and my phone is majorly messed up. I thought, okay, I read the unroot info about flashing to ODIN, but it seems like there are, oh I don't know, maybe a thousand different scenarios where it won't work if I used this file or that or if I did something with the stock kernal or if I messed up when I rooted, or... Then, I can download any one of, oh, I don't know, maybe a thousand different versions of the same files where some say they work, others say they don't. I'm trying to make sense of this but, the more I read, the more confused I become.

Can't I just boot to recovery mode and factory reset my phone that way? Anyway, Kies doesn't seem to recognize my phone anymore, so I don't know where to go with that...

I should have never tried to root since I'm so new at Android. It's odd but, rooting the Infuse was a breeze and I didn't have even one issue. SuperOneClick and I was done. The S2 may be too much phone for me.

kenmitch

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So, I rooted yesterday after I picked up my phone. Restored from TB and my phone is majorly messed up. I thought, okay, I read the unroot info about flashing to ODIN, but it seems like there are, oh I don't know, maybe a thousand different scenarios where it won't work if I used this file or that or if I did something with the stock kernal or if I messed up when I rooted, or... Then, I can download any one of, oh, I don't know, maybe a thousand different versions of the same files where some say they work, others say they don't. I'm trying to make sense of this but, the more I read, the more confused I become.

Can't I just boot to recovery mode and factory reset my phone that way? Anyway, Kies doesn't seem to recognize my phone anymore, so I don't know where to go with that...

I should have never tried to root since I'm so new at Android. It's odd but, rooting the Infuse was a breeze and I didn't have even one issue. SuperOneClick and I was done. The S2 may be too much phone for me.

When you rooted you removed the factory recovery and replaced it with CWM most likely. You could try booting into CWM and do a factory reset/wipe and see if it helps or not.

Power off your phone.

With the phone powered off, hold both volume buttons and the power button for about 10 seconds and then release all three when you see the Galaxy S II logo disappear and reappear. This should boot you into CWM.

Select "wipe data/factory reset".

To navigate the menu if you don't know already you use volume + - to move HOME to select/apply power to go up a level I believe

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I did that and the triangle is still on the splash screen. I did use CWM, whatever that is.:-[ When I downloaded the files it said I needed, one of them had the stock kernal in it, I guess for restoring back to the stock ROM, whatever that means...lol But, when I run ODIN, I don't know what to select to flash back to that stock kernal. I tried selecting PDA and the file SGH-I777_ClockworkMod-Recovery_5.0.2.3.tar, because that was one of the files it said to download when I was trying to root. So now I'm in download mode, sitting here in front of ODIN without a clue as to what to do next.

<edit> so now I'm downloading another file and following this [Heimdall][Odin][Stock][Root]UCKH7 Return/Unbrick to Stock (or Root) over at xda. It's a monster file so, it's taking forever, but I'll follow the instructions and hope for the best. I unrooted my phone, so I'm downloading the unrooted file. I'm just praying that I don't destroy my phone. I sure wish I could get this phone rooted and have everything work. My backup is through TB, so I guess I'll have to try rooting again if I want all my stuff back. The thought of it is giving me a headache lol

Last edited:

kenmitch

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I did that and the triangle is still on the splash screen. I did use CWM, whatever that is.:-[ When I downloaded the files it said I needed, one of them had the stock kernal in it, I guess for restoring back to the stock ROM, whatever that means...lol But, when I run ODIN, I don't know what to select to flash back to that stock kernal. I tried selecting PDA and the file SGH-I777_ClockworkMod-Recovery_5.0.2.3.tar, because that was one of the files it said to download when I was trying to root. So now I'm in download mode, sitting here in front of ODIN without a clue as to what to do next.

That file is kinda just to root or bring back a semi-bricked phone I believe. It's not the stock kernal.

The files in the following link look to be what you'd want to go back to stock or stock/rooted

[Heimdall][Odin][Stock][Root]UCKH7 Return/Unbrick to Stock (or Root) - xda-developers

As for Odin the following guide with pictures might get you going. Looks like step 10-18 is what you wanna look at....Only use this for the pictures of Odin and don't follow the instuction part on how to get your phone in download mode etc.

Flashing Roms or Return to Stock with Odin BY PICTURE

Reactions: tunie

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That did it! I'm back to stock! So glad my phone didn't explode.:) Thank you. Now, I'm wondering if I really need TB. It restored my app data, but not all my email account data. In addition, I had force closing all over the place. Messaging, fc. Device mgmnt, fc. Handcent, fc. There were a lot more, but I can't remember them all. Why was that happening? Could I have inadvertently restored OS data from my Infuse to my S2? Would that cause this? Also, my wifi connectivity was terrible; nothing like it was on my Infuse.

kenmitch

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
TB = Titanium backup? If so I never really used it yet. Is the data stored local on the phone or is stored on the card? If on the card then I guess it's possible it could have used data stored from your other phone if using the same card.

Backup wise I just get my phone how I want it and then do a nandroid backup in CWM. Seems to work pretty good when I tested it. Of course I've only been playing around with the phone for a couple of days or so.

moopile

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
That did it! I'm back to stock! So glad my phone didn't explode.:) Thank you. Now, I'm wondering if I really need TB. It restored my app data, but not all my email account data. In addition, I had force closing all over the place. Messaging, fc. Device mgmnt, fc. Handcent, fc. There were a lot more, but I can't remember them all. Why was that happening? Could I have inadvertently restored OS data from my Infuse to my S2? Would that cause this? Also, my wifi connectivity was terrible; nothing like it was on my Infuse.

More than likely your didn't do a proper restore. You needed to do a Batch "Restore Missing Apps with Data" and only select the apps you actually wanted.

TB won't restore your mail accounts unless you are restoring over the exact same ROM you backed up and it is the exact same mail program. But this is still risky.

Going from one ROM / Device to another you have to be careful to never restore any system data.

I'm by no means a TB expert, just giving the little bit of advice I've picked up along the way.

Reactions: tunie

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
TB = Titanium backup? If so I never really used it yet. Is the data stored local on the phone or is stored on the card? If on the card then I guess it's possible it could have used data stored from your other phone if using the same card.

Backup wise I just get my phone how I want it and then do a nandroid backup in CWM. Seems to work pretty good when I tested it. Of course I've only been playing around with the phone for a couple of days or so.

Well, after I got my phone back to stock, I tried rooting again. In the process, I realized I'd done something I always tell my clients not to do; clicking on things they know nothing about, and/or haven't thoroughly read and understood. How embarrassing. So, this time around, my phone is rooted beautifully and apps /data all restored. Hated having to set up all my email accts again, but it's done. I'm fairly certain I didn't restore in Titanium Backup correctly the first time. Should have paid closer attention. I don't know enough about ROM's yet to tackle it, but I'll get there. In the mean time, I'll just use TB. Thank you for being so generous with your time in helping me:) I got a bit cranky and you just ignored it. Perfect!:)

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
More than likely your didn't do a proper restore. You needed to do a Batch "Restore Missing Apps with Data" and only select the apps you actually wanted.

TB won't restore your mail accounts unless you are restoring over the exact same ROM you backed up and it is the exact same mail program. But this is still risky.

Going from one ROM / Device to another you have to be careful to never restore any system data.

I'm by no means a TB expert, just giving the little bit of advice I've picked up along the way.

Yep, that's just what I did. I guess I don't multitask as well as I think I do:) I restored Infuse system files to my S2! I'm lucky I didn't brick the phone. Starting all over from scratch and -not- multitasking, did the trick. My phone is humming right along and no glitches, but for wifi. I have to explore that issue a bit. I don't know if the wifi issue was there before I rooted because I rooted as soon as I got the phone. The signal is really weak; far worse than it was on the Infuse. Outside of that, everything works well. I also noticed this phone has nfc. I didn't think they included that on the phone, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Thank you for your help.:) You're far more an expert than I am but, thanks to this forum, I'm getting there:)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana