AT&T Galaxy S3 First Impressions/Reviews

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My impression is wow. That's all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Just wait a week. Then it will be Wow Wow Wow. One week since I started this thread and I'm happy to report that this is one Bad Son of a Mother phone. IMHO, the GS3 is clearly in its own league.

This hardware with ICS and Nova Prime as my launcher makes for a nearly flawless device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: AT&T Galaxy S III First Impressions/Reviews

Just wait a week. Then it will be Wow Wow Wow. One week since I started this thread and I'm happy to report that this is one Bad Son of a Mother phone. IMHO, the GS3 is clearly in its own league.

This hardware with ICS and Nova Prime as my launcher makes for a nearly flawless device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Glad you are enjoying your GS3. Take a look at the thread in the SG3 forum on this site about two easy steps to speed your device up.

trooperoutlaw

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Anyone leave iPhone (having used iPhone exclusively until now)? What's your impressions? Miss anything with the iPhone?

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

jcp006.. there's a thread here on how to speed UP the device? Where is it?

Am getting my GS3 in about a week I believe, so need to bone up on Andriod and all the cool things you peeps are doing with yours.. Maybe someone has done a thread on the whole thing from set up to customization with launchers, apps and everything else? There seem to be TONS of iOS converts that have the GS3 and all seem to be happy. I can hardly wait!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I just got mine up and running! Got it Monday but had no time to activvate the phone until today. The good news? I got tonight off an I will be setting up! So far I love the device.

Display is clearly not as good as my old HOX but its not a deal break! Still very nice IMO. Speeds seem fast! After turning off the double tap home button it became less annoying. I have yet yo have it long enough to give any opinion on the battery but the HOX was pretty good. i am hoping for the same life is not maybe a little bit better! Network speeds are even awesome!

More to come later tonight when I get it home and set it up! Awaiting the Otterbox Defender still...Other than that I got a Screen protector from ATT for like $20 and that will do until the case comes in!

Excited I am!

Cheers

PS. White looks awesome!

Reactions: Mad_Oz

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Anyone leave iPhone (having used iPhone exclusively until now)? What's your impressions? Miss anything with the iPhone?

I just left the Iphone 4 to get the S3. Initial impressions at first was a bit of panic. When I got the phone, I truly realized that I had left a world of comfort and into a world where I wasn't so comfortable. The first thing I tried to do was to sync my contacts on my iphone to my GMAIL account. Well that took me 2 days because itunes refused to sync with Gmail. I had to get an app called contact sendr on the iPhone to do that. I haven't tried to add in music yet as I am waiting for my sd card. But my biggest frustration was the lack of USB Mass Storage on the phone. Your iPhone easily connects to other devices through USB and can play audio over USB with no problem. Your GS3 cannot (atleast, not yet. However, Devs are promising a fix).

However, the phone itself is magnificent. It is truly a work of art. It's not too big, it is very fast and responsive. The touch screen is very sensitive and the UI is smooooth. The menu button takes a bit of getting used to but after a while, its functionality just makes SENSE. Don't let the haters taint your mind about Android. It's intuitive as long as you know how to friggin THINK. I love the drop down menu (which puts iOS5 to shame). I love the freedom to customize the homescreens. The battery life is AWESOME compared to your iPhone. You shouldn't have any problems getting through a day unless you literally live on your phone and have NO life whatsoever.

Flat out EXCELLENT product.

Reactions: trooperoutlaw

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

jcp006.. there's a thread here on how to speed UP the device? Where is it?

Am getting my GS3 in about a week I believe, so need to bone up on Andriod and all the cool things you peeps are doing with yours.. Maybe someone has done a thread on the whole thing from set up to customization with launchers, apps and everything else? There seem to be TONS of iOS converts that have the GS3 and all seem to be happy. I can hardly wait!

It is in the main GS3 forum on this site. "Speed Up your Galaxy S3. In two easy steps".

jc86

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

My aging iPhone 3GS is now my back up phone. I was quite hesitant to change to an Android phone but wanted to try something new. I feel the same way Eaglemaniac does about leaving my comfort zone. The iPhone seemed so easy to use right out of the box. But I guess depending on what point of view you're looking at, it could also mean it is restrictive.

I like being able to customize almost anything and absolutely love the widgets... it's the little things. It's fast, snappy, and feels more fun to play around with the features. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice but for now, I'm enjoying learning about everything the phone has to offer.

Edit: I don't think it worked but I meant to quote 'Trooperoutlaw' and 'Eaglemaniac'

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I came from iPhone 4s & I absolutely love the phone. Luckily I had bought the Samsung galaxy tab 2 7" a couple of months ago so I've had some practice with ICS. I did a lot of reading up & just trying to learn the system. So when I got my phone on Tues I was pretty much ready to go. It even downloaded my apps when I signed into my google account. Now I didn't switch because I suddenly hated apple, but I switched because I wanted a bigger phone. I grew tired of waiting for apple to release a bigger phone, & while they may this fall I don't think it would be significant enough that I would have still purchased it. I still have an iPad & I still love iOS. I'm one of the few that regularly use both. I can honestly say they are essentially the same. Open an app & use it, period. Biggest difference is obviously the customization. The only thing i've done is add widget locker. That's probably as far as I'll go with doing customization. I like to spend my time in using an app. Not staring at a wallpaper, even a live one. I think the screen of the sgs3 is beautiful & easily rivals the iPhone 4s. Plus I like having the bigger size screen.

nitestorm

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Display is clearly not as good as my old HOX but its not a deal break! Still very nice IMO. Speeds seem fast! After turning off the double tap home button it became less annoying. I have yet yo have it long enough to give any opinion on the battery but the HOX was pretty good. i am hoping for the same life is not maybe a little bit better! Network speeds are even awesome!

How would you compare the display to the Galaxy Nexus? I was gonna get the gNex but compared to the display of LG Nitro/Spectrum, I end up getting the LG spectrum since I thought their display looks better than the gnex plus more room with no onscreen buttons.

hjmillre

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

So far I am really liking the phone. I've had the phone for 4 days, so these admittedly first impressions.

My former phone was NS4G, so I have also moved from Sprint to AT&T. Goodbye unlimited data, hello much faster data - at least for the time being. I am very much impressed by the 4G speeds in Phoenix. I have also just started playing with some of the built in tools for reducing data consumption, so hopefully I will stay under my 3G monthly allotment.

The phone looks and feels very refined, and well built. Previously I've never used cases, only screen protectors, but I am thinking of trying a case on this phone.

I am still getting accustomed to the physical home button. My previous phone had all capacitive keys, which I grew to like. I expect that this will disappear as an issue for me as I continue to use the phone, but my immediate reaction is that it is ever so slightly hard to push the home button.

I have no complaints about the screen. It is big, clear, and as bright as I need it so far. I have not used it outside much yet. I know some people have complained about the brightness outside. I can't say that I experienced the same "wow" that I did when I checked out the HOX in the store, but so far the screen has been fine for me.

So far my battery life seems good, although it is probably too soon to tell. Today I am off the charger for about 6 hours, and at 88%. But today is probably the first day that I haven't played with the phone endlessly. To me it seems that the phone does a better job of conserving power when I am not actively using it.

My wifi radio seems stronger than my previous NS4G, but I found the wifi on that phone to be very bad.

Regarding the built in apps, my one initial gripe is with the built in messaging program. The notification icon for a text message is an envelope - so that I see it and think it is an email notification. I have not found a way to change that. I have previously used Chomp for texting, and have installed it on the new phone, so this is not a big issue. I just find that icon a little odd and confusing.

I do miss the stock ICS folders, which are easier to create and, in my opinion, better looking, But this is a relatively minor issue.

Overall I have found the phone to be speedy and relatively lag free. I have disabled (or kept disabled) a few features that I don't particularly want or need, such as double tapping the home key to call up S-Voice. I've only played with S-Voice a very small amount, and so far haven't found it very useful or effective, but I expect to spend more time with it soon, so my initial opinion may change.

I think that Smart Stay is working for the most part, but its the sort of thing that you might not really notice. There have been a few times when the screen has dimmed while I have been looking at it, but I think much less than any other phone I've had. My guess is that this feature will prove to be very useful, and that it will also prove itself in how unobtrusive it is.

This weekend will be my first weekend with the phone, so I will have more time to continuing playing with it and getting it set up how I like it. Can't wait.

Reactions: iSCSI and Tippit1

viadroid

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

I'm not in love with the home button either

Very true, I absolutely hate the home button, for two reasons.

1) It reminds me of my iPhone (bleh)

2) It feels cheap, and even more bothersome, after having home button failures on iPhones, I'm truly hoping this one lasts.

After enjoying the touch sensitive buttons on my other Androids, I was so disappointed to see a mechanical home button on this version of the SGS3, I almost didn't buy one. Yikes !

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site

I really need to figure out how to get rid of the lame AT&T notification that is persistent in the notification bar. So annoying.

Other than that...the phone is pretty legit. I've had almost every android phone out and this one is clearly #1 or #2...I really cannot decide if I like it or my jelly beaned GNex better. It really is a toss up.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
It is the small things that annoy us isn't it :)

I really need to figure out how to get rid of the lame AT&T notification that is persistent in the notification bar. So annoying.

Other than that...the phone is pretty legit. I've had almost every android phone out and this one is clearly #1 or #2...I really cannot decide if I like it or my jelly beaned GNex better. It really is a toss up.

iambatman32

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

First Post here. I've had the GS3 for a few days now and am really impressed. I am coming over from a Sprint Galaxy S2

Pros:
1. Very smooth with no lag.
2. Better Signal. I think Samsung radios on the CDMA variants (Sprint, Verizon) seem to have been plagued with suboptimal signal problems (Original Sprint Galaxy, Verizon Galaxy Nexus,
and I had issues with my Sprint Galaxy S2). That being said, Samsung phones on GSM network seem to have better reception. I am very happy with my signal (both voice and data).
3. Nova running on SG3 has been overall very pleasing
4. ICS has been a great improvement over Gingerbread.
5. Removable battery and microSD are a nice carry over.
6. Smart Stay has been a welcome feature.
7. S-Memo has been a fun addition.

Cons:
1. Battery life has been decent. Not stellar, but not horrible either. I am in an LTE area, and I suspect that the LTE can take its toll on battery. I am getting about 11-12 hours. On the sprint galaxy S2, if I was in a place with good signal and wifi, I could get 16-18 hours no problem. However, if I was in a place with poor signal, I could expect 6 hours. So, the price of great signal is average battery life.
2. Wifi connection problems - wifi connects, but once connected, will be put in a power saving "sleep" mode. There's a work around for this, but everytime you reboot the phone you have to reenter it.
3. Can not get iSyncr to transfer my music from my mac to my phone which is a major problem. I have tried iSyncr's beta work around and everything and still can't get it to work. It used to work flawlessly on my Galaxy S2.

trooperoutlaw

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I came from iPhone 4s & I absolutely love the phone. Luckily I had bought the Samsung galaxy tab 2 7" a couple of months ago so I've had some practice with ICS. I did a lot of reading up & just trying to learn the system. So when I got my phone on Tues I was pretty much ready to go. It even downloaded my apps when I signed into my google account. Now I didn't switch because I suddenly hated apple, but I switched because I wanted a bigger phone. I grew tired of waiting for apple to release a bigger phone, & while they may this fall I don't think it would be significant enough that I would have still purchased it. I still have an iPad & I still love iOS. I'm one of the few that regularly use both. I can honestly say they are essentially the same. Open an app & use it, period. Biggest difference is obviously the customization. The only thing i've done is add widget locker. That's probably as far as I'll go with doing customization. I like to spend my time in using an app. Not staring at a wallpaper, even a live one. I think the screen of the sgs3 is beautiful & easily rivals the iPhone 4s. Plus I like having the bigger size screen.

This is the same boat I am in. I have the Tab 2 7" and really like it. It is my first Android device and I have to say I am impressed with ICS. I also have an iPad and an iPhone 4. I don't dislike Apple but I want a bigger phone. All the "rumors" point toward a 4" iPhone 5 and I'm not sure 1/2" is going to be big enough of a bump. I also think Jelly Bean is very impressive compared to what little we saw of iOS6 in June. My son just got a GS3 this week and will be home this weekend. I will definitely be playing with the S3 for a while to see what I think. I'll probably be bitten lol.

Ssnycshoot

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site

everything is great except the battery life. Took it off the charger at 9am. by 2pm. the battery bar turns red. Returned it only for that reason.

Eaglemaniac

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

everything is great except the battery life. Took it off the charger at 9am. by 2pm. the battery bar turns red. Returned it only for that reason.

No offense but what the HECK do you do on your phone? I have to TRY very hard to get my battery down to the 20% by 6pm (i take it off the charger at 7:30am).

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
No offense but what the HECK do you do on your phone? I have to TRY very hard to get my battery down to the 20% by 6pm (i take it off the charger at 7:30am).

I agree, I don't even have power saving off and I'm consistently getting 16+ hours.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

zeteo

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

I have been an Apple fan boy forever, but have been interested in the progress of Android as an OS. My main concern was syncing my calendar and contacts with iCloud. Every one I spoke with from BB, AT&T, Vzw, etc. said it couldn't be done. I found Main Page - dmfswiki and it does 2 way sync with the iCloud!

That being said, I love this phone! Disappointed over Wallet, but what can I say. I have an iPhone 4S - 64 gig for sale.

Very happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12