Predictive text sucks

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to shut off predictive text, but still have a spell checker?

I find my self having to back up and delete quite a bit, and then retype very slowly. Or it picks the wrong word when typing.

socks148

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
From scratch, go into phone settings - language and input- hit the gear button next to samsung keyboard - make sure predictive text is on then press right on the words predictive text and all your options come up how you want the language bar to work

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
From scratch, go into phone settings - language and input- hit the gear button next to samsung keyboard - make sure predictive text is on then press right on the words predictive text and all your options come up how you want the language bar to work

Been there - done that and it still sucks.

I have everything in there turned off except Spell Correction and it still has horrible auto correction.

I do suspect a better keyboard might help. The Samsung keyboard has always been aweful. I wish they would have kept the Android Keyboard in there like they have on their other phones.

And before anyone says Swiftkey. Yes I agree it is a nice keryboard, but not to sound cheap, but I just do not think I should have to pay for a keyboard replacement when the one the phone comes with should be adaquate.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I use Swiftkey and it's worth every penny...but I have this same problem still.

If I type something it thinks is a mistake, it will auto fix it. I then have to go back and correct it and make sure to press the correct predictive text at the top of the keyboard to "approve" of the wrong word.

For example today I was putting "babe" in a text message. Swiftkey was certain I meant "baby". You type BABE then when you press the spacebar you get BABY. Then backspace twice to delete the Y, retype the E, then instead of spacebar (because it will just correct you again) you have to press "BABE" in the predictive text bar above the keyboard to confirm that's the actual word you want.

Does anyone know a more efficient way to do this? I feel like this method I'm using requires that you recognize that the word you are about to finish is not what Swiftkey thinks you mean and you have to react before you press the spacebar or you end up having to fix it...

EDIT: After that rant I combed through Swiftkey options and perhaps changing advanced/spacebar will... to "always insert a space" instead of the default: "complete the current word" will fix it...but I'm not sure yet if I will like that. I don't think I ever used the spacebar like that though...I always press the word itself to select a predicted word, not spacebar.

Last edited:

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I use Swiftkey and it's worth every penny...but I have this same problem still.

If I type something it thinks is a mistake, it will auto fix it. I then have to go back and correct it and make sure to press the correct predictive text at the top of the keyboard to "approve" of the wrong word.

For example today I was putting "babe" in a text message. Swiftkey was certain I meant "baby". You type BABE then when you press the spacebar you get BABY. Then backspace twice to delete the Y, retype the E, then instead of spacebar (because it will just correct you again) you have to press "BABE" in the predictive text bar above the keyboard to confirm that's the actual word you want.

Does anyone know a more efficient way to do this? I feel like this method I'm using requires that you recognize that the word you are about to finish is not what Swiftkey thinks you mean and you have to react before you press the spacebar or you end up having to fix it...

EDIT: After that rant I combed through Swiftkey options and perhaps changing advanced/spacebar will... to "always insert a space" instead of the default: "complete the current word" will fix it...but I'm not sure yet if I will like that. I don't think I ever used the spacebar like that though...I always press the word itself to select a predicted word, not spacebar.

Yes that's how I have my SwiftKey set up. I don't think there is a better keyboard out there. SwiftKey 3 really is worth every penny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
And before anyone says Swiftkey. Yes I agree it is a nice keryboard, but not to sound cheap, but I just do not think I should have to pay for a keyboard replacement when the one the phone comes with should be adaquate.
LOL, the next three posts said Swiftkey. I actually don't like it myself but that's the beauty of Android. I've got tons more to choose from.
And yes you should have to pay for a keyboard replacement if you don't like what they give you. The stock keyboard is adequate. It's just not as good as hundreds of others.

BarbecueGamer

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I was fine with the stock keyboard but decided to give SwiftKey a shot to see what all the fuss was about. I am extremely happy I gave it a try. It is way better than the stock keyboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
LOL, the next three posts said Swiftkey. I actually don't like it myself but that's the beauty of Android. I've got tons more to choose from.
And yes you should have to pay for a keyboard replacement if you don't like what they give you. The stock keyboard is adequate. It's just not as good as hundreds of others.

The stock keyboard is NOT adequate. It is basically unusable. It is easily the worst keyboard I've ever used on anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I've downloaded swiftkey3, and unfortunately I'm still having that problem. This is my only real gripe with this phone, but I'm guessing it's just taking some getting used to the bigger keyboard. On the iPhone I was a really fast typer, but on the S3, I'm constantly making mistakes. Hoping this fixes itself over time, as I feel like it's naturally starting to get better.

b0btech

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Use Swype beta, and download it from beta.Swype.com you have to set up a free account and then login...

from MY SIII in sunny FL.

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded SwiftKey and it has helped a bit. I still am getting used to it. I originally turned the settings to not insert a word when the space bar is pressed, but I didn't like it. I will give it a chance. I didn't mind paying a few bucks that's going to help in the long run, but I think Samsung should have done a better job of vetting their stock keyboard. My wife said that the stock keyboard on her Captivate is much better than the S3, but I also think she is crazy. LOL

Reactions: b0btech

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a physical QWERTY keyboard on a 9810, I am still trying to get used to the stock keyboard before I jump ship and try a new one. That is pretty much my approach in my transition to Android in giving all the stock features a thorough try first.

Kirk Stanson

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The biggest thing people forget to turn on (my Rogers Samsung S3 had it off by default) is the Recapture option under Predictive Text section.

This little gem allows you to click on backspace when you type something incorrectly (or correctly but just not the word you wanted to write), and it will "recapture" the whole word, and allow you to retype whatever you want, without that annoying auto-correct trying to keep inserting the wrong word. This is also useful to make sure the auto-correct sees the whole word together, not just the most recent additions after deleting a few characters.

Turn off auto-append and auto-substitution and voila, a decently working keyboard that plays nice when you spell things incorrectly and go back and try to fix it.

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The biggest thing people forget to turn on (my Rogers Samsung S3 had it off by default) is the Recapture option under Predictive Text section.

This little gem allows you to click on backspace when you type something incorrectly (or correctly but just not the word you wanted to write), and it will "recapture" the whole word, and allow you to retype whatever you want, without that annoying auto-correct trying to keep inserting the wrong word. This is also useful to make sure the auto-correct sees the whole word together, not just the most recent additions after deleting a few characters.

Turn off auto-append and auto-substitution and voila, a decently working keyboard that plays nice when you spell things incorrectly and go back and try to fix it.

I am still waffling on whether to go back to the swype beta I had my previous phone--I had that working so nicely. The recapture may make it a little more tolerable. I have also noticed that I have add words to my word list failry regulary-- Even simple words like "this"

Never had that problem in Swype

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non