New Android user... and WiFi is not acting right... (Accuweather)

NoWareMan9

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got my first Android phone a few days ago... and so far I am LOVING it. (Galaxy 3)

One odd thing though...

Whenever I am at work... and the WiFi is turned on... Accuweather thinks I am in a city in California... (I am in the Mid West)

At first I thought it was an AT&T issue... but I had my friend (who also just got a new Galaxy 3) who is on Verizon try it... and BOOM, he has the same problem.

If WiFi is on... we are showing in California... if it is off... we are back home again...

I also tried running the app on my old iPhone 4, and also on a Windows 7 phone, and it worked fine... (WiFi on or off)

So I am assuming it ISNT an issue with the router... but more an issue with the phone...???

Any one have any ideas how to fix this issue?

Any one else have this problem?

I have tried it on 3 or 4 OTHER WiFi signals.. and they work fine... It is just the one at my office (so far) that seems to have this issue... (but again, I dont think it is the WiFi at the offices problem, as the iPhone and Windows 7 phones both worked fine....

Any and all help is appreciated.... and thank you!

Last edited:

anon(692098)

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Android user... and Accuweather is not acting right....

It's possible that the work wifi is somehow pulling an IP that is proxied to CA, it's very unlikely though. Also it could be that the iPhone and Win7 phones are pulling A-GPS data to get a proper location and ignoring the wifi routers location. What would be an interesting piece of information would be the IP addresses the various phones are getting when using wifi as well as cellular. If the wifi IP on the SGS3 is quite different than everything else then I'd say it is possibly the wifi router and some strange geo-ip issue.

Kimberly Boals

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site

Sometimes when at work I go to websites for example Targets website and I am trying to look at things at my local store. It will default to Houma or Atlanta where my company is headquartered and I am in Boise, ID. It might be where your internet service is based out of like the previous posted said.

Does your company have anything to do with CA?

NoWareMan9

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I am not the most tech savvy person... but I am willing to try ANYTHING.

I am pretty sure this is a GALAXY 3 problem... as I had someone with a Droid Incredible (on Verizon) try, and they have no issues showing the correct location when connected to the wifi. So again, iPhone, Windows Phone 7, and now a Droid Incredible all work fine...

I have another friend bringing his Motorola Atrix HD over to try it soon as well...

I am more then happy to look up ip addresses, but I would need help with how to do that (I think I have a rough idea, but am not 100% sure.)

Also, my office has no other locations and has NOTHING to do with California...

Any and all help/ideas/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks everyone

NoWareMan9

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

And my buddy just showed up... and oddly enough his Atrix HD ALSO thinks we are in California when connected to my office WiFi.

So now I am assuming it is a router issue....?

I still find it odd that only these 3 newer Android phones are having this issue...

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to solve this?

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: New Android user... and WiFi is not acting right... (Accuweat

Try going into: Settings > Location Services, then uncheck "Use wireless networks" but ensure "Use GPS satellites" is checked.