Texting Problems after OTA update

hjmillre

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been having texting issues ever since applying the OTA update a few days ago. The basic problem is that usually (but not always), texts simply fail to send. I receive a message indicating a "failure" of the text to send. I also rarely (but not always) fail to receive text messages. A couple of times texts have gone through or been received, but very rarely.

I spent approx 45 minutes on the phone with ATT a couple of days ago. During the call, texts started working again, so I figured the problem had been corrected. However, immediately after the call, the problem started again.

A few things I've tried, none of which have worked:
1. Uninstall my 3rd party texting program (Chomp) and using only the built in texting problem
2. Turning off WiFi
3. Rebooting the phone
4. shutting down, removing battery, then restarting phone.

My phone is not rooted.

As of now, I basically can't send or receive text messages. Anyone else having a similar problem, or have any solutions? I don't know that this is related to the OTA update, but the timing makes me think it might be related.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using the stock messaging app instead? We haven't rec'd the update here in the Bay area yet so I have no idea, but I do use the stock texting app so am wondering if this is yet another inter-operability issue of which there are many between TW UX and third party apps.

hjmillre

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried using the stock messaging app instead? We haven't rec'd the update here in the Bay area yet so I have no idea, but I do use the stock texting app so am wondering if this is yet another inter-operability issue of which there are many between TW UX and third party apps.

Yes. I deleted the 3rd party messaging app that I was using, and have just been running the stock messaging app ever since. I was trying to rule out the 3rd party app as the problem.

mainsg

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Go to the AT&T store and have them swap your SIM card for a new one. That fixed mine as well as a few others on the board who had txting issues after the OTA update.

mvnguyen03

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I have somewhat the same problem. SMS works fine, but MMS doesn't. It just shows that its sending, but never sends. Using the stock messaging app as well. On a side note, can anyone tell me why texting a picture turns it into a slideshow?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ejmdds

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I had same issue after the update. I would get text messages several hours after they were sent and when I would try to reply I would get multiple "message failed" response. I simply called the ATT support and they re-registered my phone and IMEI on the network and that fixed my problem. I suppose when you go in and get a new SIM they re-register at that point so maybe try calling first and save yourself a trip.

hjmillre

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I had same issue after the update. I would get text messages several hours after they were sent and when I would try to reply I would get multiple "message failed" response. I simply called the ATT support and they re-registered my phone and IMEI on the network and that fixed my problem. I suppose when you go in and get a new SIM they re-register at that point so maybe try calling first and save yourself a trip.

Thanks for the tip. That appears to have fixed it. I just wish the ATT customer service rep would have listened to what I asked them to do immediately. Instead, he insisted on going through a whole laundry list of other possible causes before re-registering the phone on the system. It was the same laundry list I went through the first time with another customer service representative - none of which fixed the problem. So what should have been a 10 minute call was a 30 minute call. At least I'm fixed. Thanks again.

---------- Post Merged at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:06 PM ----------

I have somewhat the same problem. SMS works fine, but MMS doesn't. It just shows that its sending, but never sends. Using the stock messaging app as well. On a side note, can anyone tell me why texting a picture turns it into a slideshow?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Not sure if this is a part of your problem, but MMS doesn't seem to work on this phone when you are connected to WiFi. I know when I am connected to Wifi and a picture comes in, I have to turn off WiFi to get it to download. A bit of a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non