New here and I already apologize for the questions

jargon5107

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
New to the forum but have been reading a lot lately as I am completely bored with my iPhone. I have had everyone since the 3 and I think it's time for a change. I have had my eye on the GS3 for awhile now but I do have some concerns that I am hoping some folks here can address for me. I did search them but couldn't quite find all that I was looking for so here goes.

I am a business user and I need my e-mails immediately. As it stands now I have my business account through Gmail and I have it set up to push to my iPhone by setting it up as an exchange account. Now I realize that Google services will be highly integrated with the GS3 but will I be able to push e-mails to this phone from Gmail? Do I continue to set it up as an exchange account?

Other things that are important to me are calendars and phone quality and wifi. I have heard that the wifi connections can sometimes be troublesome to connect to and stay connected with. Is this the case?

Visual Voice Mail is another thing that is important to me and I have found that I can add the AT&T app and that seems to work fairly well from what I saw on a YouTube video. Curious to hear your thoughts on the AT&T app.

I am in my car a lot and love the fact that I can get in with my iPhone and it automatically connects to my car via bluetooth. I am assuming I can do this with the GS3 and play music?

And finally the last thing is the build quality. I am not so much concerned with the plastic but more concerned about how the screen is sealed to the frame and what the possibilities are of getting all kinds of dust and lint under the screen and in places where it should go.

So I am trying to decide on whether or not I should make the switch. The iPhone works for what I need it to do but am just bored of it and hoping that the GS3 can fit the bill. I will switch in a heartbeat if I don't sacrifice and of the above and can successfully use this phone as reliably as I have used my iPhone.

Thank you in advance for your responses. Looking forward to reading them.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't apologize for asking questions, because you are not asking anything stupid, and you have a lot of fair and valid concerns. For starters, in the "add account" on my AT&T Galaxy S3, I see entries for LDAP and Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. I don't use an Exchange server for my mail, so I can't say how well it works, but it looks like support is there. If it is not there in the stock phone, you should be able to download an app that provides better support. Unlike the iDevices, Android DOES allow for apps that duplicate built in functionality so you can get something you prefer if you don't like the stock applications.

I have not seen a problem with WiFi connections on my S3, and I get good cellular signal as well. The S3 does come with Visual Voice Mail pre-installed from what I remember, and it's a decent app that I have found to be fairly useful. Bluetooth works well, though going through Ford SYNC it does not list artist/song name. Bluetooth Audio DOES work, but my Gen 1 version of SYNC(non-MyFord Touch) does not support Bluetooth MAP, so I can't send/receive text messages through the car. The phone looks like it supports it properly, it is just Ford being lazy about releasing updates.

Now, as far as the build quality, I am not seeing where there would be a problem with dust or dirt being a problem, and the only thing I DO suggest is getting a case, just because you don't want a dropped phone to scratch the phone up. I personally love my S3, and other than it not being the most durable phone when it comes to how well it would survive being dropped, this phone feels so much more advanced compared to the iPhone. iOS 6 feels like a relic from four years ago compared to Android 4.0(Ice Cream Sandwich), and that doesn't even bring the improvements that Jelly Bean(4.1) will bring.

I hope this helps...

jargon5107

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't apologize for asking questions, because you are not asking anything stupid, and you have a lot of fair and valid concerns. For starters, in the "add account" on my AT&T Galaxy S3, I see entries for LDAP and Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. I don't use an Exchange server for my mail, so I can't say how well it works, but it looks like support is there. If it is not there in the stock phone, you should be able to download an app that provides better support. Unlike the iDevices, Android DOES allow for apps that duplicate built in functionality so you can get something you prefer if you don't like the stock applications.

I have not seen a problem with WiFi connections on my S3, and I get good cellular signal as well. The S3 does come with Visual Voice Mail pre-installed from what I remember, and it's a decent app that I have found to be fairly useful. Bluetooth works well, though going through Ford SYNC it does not list artist/song name. Bluetooth Audio DOES work, but my Gen 1 version of SYNC(non-MyFord Touch) does not support Bluetooth MAP, so I can't send/receive text messages through the car. The phone looks like it supports it properly, it is just Ford being lazy about releasing updates.

Now, as far as the build quality, I am not seeing where there would be a problem with dust or dirt being a problem, and the only thing I DO suggest is getting a case, just because you don't want a dropped phone to scratch the phone up. I personally love my S3, and other than it not being the most durable phone when it comes to how well it would survive being dropped, this phone feels so much more advanced compared to the iPhone. iOS 6 feels like a relic from four years ago compared to Android 4.0(Ice Cream Sandwich), and that doesn't even bring the improvements that Jelly Bean(4.1) will bring.

I hope this helps...

That does help very much. Please keep it coming!

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Visual Voice Mail is another thing that is important to me and I have found that I can add the AT&T app and that seems to work fairly well from what I saw on a YouTube video. Curious to hear your thoughts on the AT&T app.

Visual Voice Mail does not come pre-installed. I have tried two options:
You can download the AT&T Visual Voicemail app and there is also PhoneFusion's Visual Voicemail Plus (I also think that there is YouMail, but I haven't tried it). I've used AT&T's app since the first day of getting my S3 and it mostly worked well (95% of the time), but it sometimes seemed to be "down" as I would not always get my VoiceMails. I just downloaded Visual Voicemail Plus (free) and I've been using it for the past two days and I am very impressed with it.

The S3 is a GREAT phone. You'll love it after getting through the "learning curve" of the new OS (as compared to Iphone's OS).

jargon5107

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
So another question I have is surrounding memory size. I just found out that AT&T only offers the 16gb version. I know that I can add a memory card but is 16bg (really only 12) enough?

Thanks again

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So another question I have is surrounding memory size. I just found out that AT&T only offers the 16gb version. I know that I can add a memory card but is 16bg (really only 12) enough?

Thanks again
You can add up to a 64GB MicroSD card to your phone...coming from an iPhone myself, this feature is VERY useful to me when it comes to adding music to my phone

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Like you my first smart phone was an iPhone 3G. And as you will remember, when Apple released the iP4 and iOS4 it turned the 3G into a brick.. UGH! Anyway, I have had my sexy garnet red GS3 for about 2 mos now and the Visual Voicemail app works very well providing ATT sets it up properly on their end. The phone comes with a stock Gmail app also, so you might use it for your business email and adjust the settings to your liking. Personally I use Aquamail for some accounts and the Gmail app as well. The stock messaging app is good though I installed Swiftkey 3 instead of the stock keyboard and it totally rocks. I also highly recommend you install Juice Defender for battery optimization. The integration will all Google apps is seamless and very smooth. And with Jelly Bean coming soon, you'll be very happy especially if you like to use voice commands for navigation, searches, sending text or email, or anything else.. Google Now demos have shown its far superior to Siri in all ways imaginable and don't forget the ugliness of the current Apple maps system. Nobody does mapping better than Google :)

The couple of cons I have about this device is the poor low light photos, though it appears Sammy has addressed this in the JB update. The screen also isn't as good in bright sunlight, but when it comes to size, once you get used to a 4.8" screen, the iPhone looks like a toy, LOL. And make sure you get a good quality micro SD card (like SanDisk).. And don't forget you have a removable battery so you can have a spare in case you're a heavy user..Hope that helps.

jargon5107

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
That does help a bunch. I have a few more questions about e-mail that you can hopefully answer. As I mentioned before I use Gmail for work and have it set up as an exchange account on my iphone so I can get push. Do I need to do that on the GS3 or can I just set it up to push through the Gmail app and be done with it? Also I have read that the size of e-mails is limited to 100KB is that the case?

Thanks!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That does help a bunch. I have a few more questions about e-mail that you can hopefully answer. As I mentioned before I use Gmail for work and have it set up as an exchange account on my iphone so I can get push. Do I need to do that on the GS3 or can I just set it up to push through the Gmail app and be done with it? Also I have read that the size of e-mails is limited to 100KB is that the case?

Thanks!

I believe you can set it up str8 from your phone...there is a Gmail app that comes with the phone along with an additional Emails app for other emails including Gmail...I mean it is Android from Google lol

Looking at size options, I see more than 100KB, the options are
- Headers Only
- 2KB
- 50KB
- 100KB
- All
- All including Attachements

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

Thanks!

The Gmail app on the S3 will push your email through at all times. The only way it wouldn't do so is if you manually turned off the ability to sync the email.

BTW... The S3 is the best phone I've owned to date. I don't hate Apple or iOS but there is just no turning back from this phone. I love the ecosystem and integration of Google's applications. The screen size is such a benefit to prevent squinting and not pulling the phone to your face for reading.

VVM has worked flawlessly thus far.

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm 2 weeks into my S3 (ATT) coming from an iPhone 4S (and a 4 and 3gs prior). It definitely takes some getting used to, the navigation is very different and so is the size. But today, when i picked up my wife's iphone 4, it felt very small and very heavy, i'm learning to love the big screen and learning how to use it one handed (that was never an issue on the iphone).

The ATT visual VM app works very well as does the gMail app. My corporate email comes through Exchange so I just use the stock app. I like the calendar much better than the iphone as you have much better control of meetings and options.

Battery life is questionable right now, but i'm in a weak LTE area. I have actually turned off LTE using this thread and it seems to help a bit. WiFi works great as does bluetooth, i also have the Gen 1 Sync system.

I've tried Juice defender for battery life, with limited success. The facebook app is flaky at times, i often use the web version on either the Chrome or Dolphin browsers.

I hated the stock texting app and am using Go SMS Pro (free), this is an area where i think the iphone wins. I'm also using SwiftKey for the keyboard as the stock keyboard is not good.

it's also annoying that almost all of the apps in the Google Play store have ads. And, if you are like me, you have a lot of apps that you already paid for. Kind of stinks to have to re-buy.

I still consider myself in the discovery phase, lots to like and lots to learn. Looking forward to Jelly Bean, but who knows when that will be.

jargon5107

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Alright everyone, thanks again for your help. I am going to buy the S3 tomorrow. I am going to keep my iPhone 5 just in case but I'm thinking I'll be ditching it soon after I get used to the S3. Next question I have for all of you is about accessories or should I say where to buy them from. I am interested in grabbing an extra battery and the desktop charging dock. Where is the best place to buy these accessories? Does best buy typically carry these items?

Thanks again

bobbyp5

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
This is my first post but I made the same jump you did. So hello to all!!!! Not looking back at all. Been a long time user on TiPb but glad to be on the android side. I'd look at amazon for accessories if you want to save money. Best buy where I'm at only carry's certain brands that I personally don't like. What I got was a 32gb card, the otterbox defender, and a zagg screen underneath my defender :p so if I go naked i have the screen protected.

jargon5107

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
This is my first post but I made the same jump you did. So hello to all!!!! Not looking back at all. Been a long time user on TiPb but glad to be on the android side. I'd look at amazon for accessories if you want to save money. Best buy where I'm at only carry's certain brands that I personally don't like. What I got was a 32gb card, the otterbox defender, and a zagg screen underneath my defender :p so if I go naked i have the screen protected.

Nice...I hope my experience is as good as yours has been so far. Can't wait until tomorrow.

jargon5107

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Another question for people with the white device. Does it get dirty easily? I wash my hands frequently throughout the day but I would hate to have a device that got yellow or dingy.

Thanks

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
When it comes to accessories, there is one that has not been mentioned for months, but IS still supposed to be released. Induction/Wireless charging. The S3 is designed to support induction charging, so you can just place it on the charger and it will work. The problem is that not only is that induction charger not available yet, but it will also require a replacement back cover to enable that feature. Since Samsung has a big event on Oct 24th, I expect there will be a number of announcements, the charger included. Considering the Galaxy Note 2 is due in November, it may be that Samsung wanted to hold off on releasing the charger to make sure it would work properly with the Note 2 as well. So, we shall see...

emathed

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I, too, was an iPhone user. But after purchasing my SGS3, I do NOT missb my iphone. My only complaint with this phone is that it will not allow you to send a HD video via text or email. You either have to upload to Dropbox or YouTube (which I find annoying), or else change the settings to a lower recording quality. Other than this, in my opinion the phone is AWESOME! The gmail app pushes your emails instantly, but does not allow you to move your emails to folders. The stock email does but it only pushes your emails in whatever time you've selected. I am a heavy email user so mine is set to be pushed every 5 mins or I manually push it myself. GO SMS is by far the best messaging app as the stock app is not as quick and easy to function. Plus, you can download themes etc. I would also recommend buying your accessories on Amazon as I bought my Otterbox there half off cheaper than Best Buy. Ebay also has some cheap accessories such as On the go USB cable which is cool. This phone is fun once you get the hang of it. I also recommend using a diff app for photos as the stock gallery app is kinda bland and not near as easy to use IMO. Good luck with yours. iphone 5 is an awesome phone, but I honestly would only have it bc of the camera. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress