Maps draining battery when navigation not used

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys I am really having a time with my battery life on my GS3. Frequently, I will leave my phone in the car while at work (my office is in the lowest level of a building and cell service is non-existent due to the building design) to keep from needlessly draining the battery. Often though, at the end of the workday, I will get in the car to go home and notice my battery is around 40% left. Now, keep in mind, the phone has been screen off and it's just been sitting still the entire day, so navigation isn't being used, however if I look at battery usage, "MAPS" is often the #1 offender as far as usage goes, sometimes 2-3 times as much drain from it than the OS. I have "report from this device" disabled in Maps-location Settings, thinking that might help, but nope, no help. I'm really at my wits end, can anyone help me out or give me some tips? I am still pretty new to the Android ecosystem, but I'm doing everything I can think of and find, to remedy the battery life, but nothing seems to be helping. This is on an AT&T GS3 with Jelly Bean.

pcdebb

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
this is a problem for me too. I ended up disabling the app, but I really hated having to do that. I would use it every now and then,but I havent used the app in more than a week. will see if the tips at that link will help.

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But how is it geotagging if nobody else can see it? Seems like the only person that can see this is me. I appreciate the tips, I'm going to see if these make any difference, but I'm a bit skeptical.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
But how is it geotagging if nobody else can see it? Seems like the only person that can see this is me. I appreciate the tips, I'm going to see if these make any difference, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Not you, just a general observation about social media with reference to the link provided by Tohio. I use GPS for a lot of things. I also habitually hold down the home button and tap the trash can to close all the open apps. Nothing ever closes otherwise.