Whats wrong with this thing??

1979Pontiac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy s3 at&t hasn't worked right since my older brother gave it to me. It worked perfectly for him though and I know that for sure. He got a new phone and this one sat in his room for a few months. I have it now. When I try to play music or a video there is no sound and it plays like fast forward. I know the speakers are broke because nothing ever makes a sound on this phone. I tried to shazam a song to see if the mic worked but it doesn't either. When I plug the phone into my xbox (I figured I could listen to my songs from that, since the files are ok) my single files show up as multiple folders. Like say I have garth brooks the dance.mp3
On the xbox it shows up as garth brooks the dance with a bunch of numbers after it and its a folder. Also theres about a hundred of them. It even duplicates my actual folders. When i look on my phone at my files, they show up correctly. I dont have a clue why. Anyone have any clue?

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

I hope your phone not working right and your old brother giving it to you are not somehow connected.

Have you tried or considered trying a factory reset?

1979Pontiac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you and again for trying to help. I dont think they are, I remember it worked perfectly and he said it hasn't moved from his tabletop since he got the new phone but one can never know.
Ive considered it but would like to know and try any other solutions there might be before I reset it. And if I do have to I would want to be at least 90% sure it would work. It would also be hard for me to backup all of my settings and media etc because sadly I dont have a computer.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thank you and again for trying to help. I dont think they are, I remember it worked perfectly and he said it hasn't moved from his tabletop since he got the new phone but one can never know.
Ive considered it but would like to know and try any other solutions there might be before I reset it. And if I do have to I would want to be at least 90% sure it would work. It would also be hard for me to backup all of my settings and media etc because sadly I dont have a computer.

But you do have an mSD card slot. TiTanium Backup. She'll Backup to mSD I believe. ...note that you do have to be rooted though. Those smarter than I might also suggest that a cache wipe in Recovery may be just as helpful as a factory reset while being less destructive.

G Pad 8.3

Last edited:

1979Pontiac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Cache wipe? How do I do that?
Ill get my mSD from my stratosphere in here tomorrow and try that backup. If nothing works before then I will reset it.

1979Pontiac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Due to whatever is wrong with the phone the video played in through in fast forward. It went from start to beginning in a second. It did this on YouTube app and browser and chrome page so it has to be the phone. I even tried with headphones in and it didnt help. But I was able to get the info from the video on how to. Thanks and I will try it after work

1979Pontiac

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It seems it worked somewhat. Souns back and the only hiccup is when I listen to music for a long time. Thank you so much