HTC One Battery Not Charging/Holding Charge

Justin Peeler1

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had the HTC One since the day it came out and up until a few weeks ago the battery life was consistently amazing.

Over the past 2-3 weeks that's all changed. Every morning the battery isn't fully charged and according to my phone it will say the battery is somewhere between 35-75% charged although it was on the charger port all night. Then the phone will die randomly regardless of what the battery percentage says it's at. Sometimes it will get down to 15-20% and die other times it will just shut off at 70% with no low battery warning.

When I check the battery usage it shows Android is using some ridiculous amount of battery power, currently it says 97% - I never really checked this before the issue so don't know if this is normal. I have power saver enabled and even with wi-fi and bluetooth turned off the battery still drains incredibly rapidly. I'm on Android 4.3

In summary the phone isn't charging to full, is not holding the charge at all and possibly the battery life indicator on the phone is giving a false reading (i'm using the default one included with the phone).

Has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix other than replacing the battery? I've seen a video of it being done and it's absolutely not something I could do myself. I'm thinking of trying to reset my phone to factory defaults, anyone know if that would help? I'd hate to clear all my data and lose my texts, game save files etc if the issue will just continue.

My phone is basically unusable now as I never know when it's going to die, whether I'll get 20 minutes of use out of it or 2 hours is just a gamble. I'll do what I can to fix it otherwise I'll be forced to use an old phone until I have an upgrade a year and a half from now :'(

regor60

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
That all sounds bad except the 97%. That's just the proportion of total power usage being used by Android. Doesn't say anything about what the total power usage actually is.

Posted via Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine is having similar issues (among others)

Contact HTC, they'll have you send it in under your factory warranty and replace it for you

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

jcbeard

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem and contacted HTC chat line. There suggested fix worked for me. It seems the charging logic had to be reset.
"First, charge the device for at least 10 minutes please using the wall charger. With the device truly OFF, push in and hold the volume up and volume down and the power button for 2 minutes please. After 2 minutes you can let all of the buttons go. The charging logic is now reset. Charge your phone to 100% with the wall charger please."

Jason Stroud1

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had the HTC One since the day it came out and up until a few weeks ago the battery life was consistently amazing.

Over the past 2-3 weeks that's all changed. Every morning the battery isn't fully charged and according to my phone it will say the battery is somewhere between 35-75% charged although it was on the charger port all night. Then the phone will die randomly regardless of what the battery percentage says it's at. Sometimes it will get down to 15-20% and die other times it will just shut off at 70% with no low battery warning.

When I check the battery usage it shows Android is using some ridiculous amount of battery power, currently it says 97% - I never really checked this before the issue so don't know if this is normal. I have power saver enabled and even with wi-fi and bluetooth turned off the battery still drains incredibly rapidly. I'm on Android 4.3

In summary the phone isn't charging to full, is not holding the charge at all and possibly the battery life indicator on the phone is giving a false reading (i'm using the default one included with the phone).

Has anyone else had this issue and is there a fix other than replacing the battery? I've seen a video of it being done and it's absolutely not something I could do myself. I'm thinking of trying to reset my phone to factory defaults, anyone know if that would help? I'd hate to clear all my data and lose my texts, game save files etc if the issue will just continue.

My phone is basically unusable now as I never know when it's going to die, whether I'll get 20 minutes of use out of it or 2 hours is just a gamble. I'll do what I can to fix it otherwise I'll be forced to use an old phone until I have an upgrade a year and a half from now :'(

My phone would randomly stop charging and sometimes not charge overnight. Only solution I could find was a replacement or repair

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Michael Moffett

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
MY REPLY WAS TO JCBEARD ABOUT HOLDING THE BUTTONS FOR TWO MINUTES!

SO I had this same issue and I looked at this post and thought well that just sounds hokey! Hold those buttons for two minutes?? But I did it and guess what it TOTALLY WORKED! My phone is fully charged now and is holding its charge! AWESOME! THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!! SAVED me from buying a new phone and I was going to be mad as this one was only 8 months old!!!

Michael :)

Last edited:

Jesus Vizcarra

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
My phone is experiencing the same problem all night on the charger and I wake up to it only being 37 % and never charging past that . I love my new corded phone

Akash Deep4

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One Battery Not Charging/Holding Charge when on

I am also facing a strange problem, my phone is charging when it is switched off, but while its on it doesnt charge, its running on 4.4.2 with latest kernel. Already tried factory reset, kindly help!

Yudhvirjamwal

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Hey, I am facing the exact issue. Battery holds charge but the device charges only when its totally discharged. Doesn't charge when its on or having some battery level.

Did you find a solution?

Sarra Aouam

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

Hi Yudhvirjamwal,
I had just the same issue and went crasy as nothing worked for me except for leaving my HTC ONE in the freezer for 45mins by putting in it in a plastic bag then take it out let it rest in the room temp for 5 mins and putting in the wall charger .... this was a miracle
wish you the best

Luis Pucsi

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
do i need to charge the phone all the way to reach 100 porcent because i charge to 78% and it didnt work so im going to charge it til it reach 100%

arwen_in_nj

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
This is the procedure step-by-step (copied from another forum). Just did it, and you have to hold the buttons down until the phone turns back on (about 2 minutes)

"This is directly from HTC tech support. To recalibrate battery and HTC charger when battery rapidly or erratically discharges, this procedure clears all battery stats, coordinates and normalizes charging.

Turn off Fast Boot in settings. Power off phone.
Plug phone into HTC charger and charge for two minutes or more
While charging, hold down volume up+volume down+power button and continue holding
Phone will turn on and off repeatedly every 15 seconds or so while continuing to hold all three buttons
Keep this going for 2 minutes, then release buttons when phone is ON
Now, let phone charge fully normally (with phone either on or off--doesn't matter) and battery level reporting, charging and battery life should be normalized.

Do this every month or so to keep power system healthy--even if everything seems fine. Also, don't leave phone on charger overnight for best long term battery life (according to HTC tech support: "The first thing they tell us." This is true even though charging is supposed to turn off when battery is at 100%)"

Cathy Kuehn

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site