Hide unread message count

sharksfan7

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to have the Messaging app icon in the app drawer not show the unread message count? I started using Handcent and call it a pet peeve, but I hate scrolling through my apps and having that say I have unread messages. I can't not stop and open the app when I see a number there. I've turned off all notifications in that app, at least all that I can find. But whenever I go looking for a different app, there's always a number on the Messaging icon shouting at me.

sharksfan7

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I think I stumbled upon the solution to this issue. In Handcent's application settings, you can make it the Default Messaging application. The default for this is "Disable". I switched that to "All (SMS & MMS)" and now after I receive a message and read it through Handcent, the stock Messaging app's icon in the App drawer does not show the unread message count. Initially I just disabled all notifications in the stock app and used Handcent for all my messaging. But even after read my messages in Handcent, the stock app still showed an unread message count in the app drawer. It wouldn't go away until I opened the app and each message. Now with Handcent set as the default app, that count doesn't appear....Don't know if other messaging apps have the option to set as the default, but if that unread count bugs you as much as it did me, you might want to take a look for it.