Google Car Home

gleason

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi. Just got an Inspire. Love it.

Does anyone know how to get Google Car Home on the phone? I was looking forward to using this, and it's so much more flexible compared to this HTC Car Panel. But the market claims it is not compatible with my device. Is it only for Gingerbread, or is HTC/ATT blocking it for some reason?

Edit: The market claims only 2.2 is available, so it must be blocked? Any way around it? .. These needless app blockings are rather annoying.

Last edited:

CutRiteFX

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I found it in the market at
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.carhome&rdid=com.google.android.carhome

But this will not let you install it to the phone.

Found the direct link to download the apk file.
Just have to side load it

https://sites.google.com/site/droidlife54/home/com.google.android.carhome-1.apk?attredirects=0&d=1

After you side load it then go to our apps and select Car Panel. It will ask you if you want to run Car Home or Car Panel. To me they seem the same after I tried it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReuvenNY

gleason

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, yeah, I found the APK file before, but the Inspire doesn't permit it to install. It says that, for security purposes, my settings do not permit me to install apps not form the Android Market. It then routes me to Application settings, within which there is no option to change this setting.

From what I know, out of market apps are blocked by AT&T. So I guess I'd have to root it to get Car Home?
Doesn't really seem worth it. All I really want is the option to automatically enable bluetooth when in Car Panel, which is an option HTC's Car Panel doesn't provide. And I'd like to change one of the icons in Car Panel. Tasker should take care of the first one, so perhaps I'll get that if I really want the option, and I then I may just have to live without customizable icons.
But if there's another way, please let me know.

deropus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I sideloaded Car Home on my Tmobile HTC Sensation 4G. I can see under "Management Application" that it was installed. However, it does not show up in Applications. How can I make it to work? Thanks.

oldmanmusky

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem as deropus. The install was "successful", I can see it under "Manage Applications", but it doesn't show up in Applications. Appreciate any advice.

oldmanmusky

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I actually tired that too and had the same issue. The sideload was my second try to get around it. (Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post... duh.) For what it's worth, I HTC's Car Panel loaded right now, and it does work, but doesn't allow customization of icons. Unfortunately, it was not included on the device, so I had to go find it in the first place. Every heard of an app that loads correctly, but then just won't show up on the list? Seems weird to me.

oldmanmusky

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Even though Car Home didn't show up in my list, when I launced Car Panel, it gave me an option to choose which App I wanted. Car Home still isn't in my app list, but I guess maybe that doesn't matter anymore. Thank you again for your response.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo