Sideloading Fixes

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
First of all, welcome to Android Central!

You may have noticed by now, but the Phoenix/Thrive does not have the ability to sideload apps. Usually, if you go into settings>applications, there is an option to enable unknown sources. Unfortunately, AT&T has removed this option from your phone, "for your protection". This keeps you from installing apps like Swype, or anything from the Amazon App Store.

Luckily, we have a few options to get rid of this "favor" that AT&T has done for us.

First, for unrooted (or rooted and lazy ;)) users, there's a new version of the Sideload Wonder Machine out. It's bug free as far as I know, and it has a pretty slick new look. Check it out, and be sure to thank Jerry (gbhil) and DroidXcon for their hard work.

Next, for those of you who are rooted but haven't jumped into the world of flashing ROMs, I wrote up a guide on how to manually enable sideloading. Check it out here.

Hope this helps, and have fun sticking it to AT&T ;).

Reactions: sd_matto

sd_matto

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Great guide. I hadn't done a search, and DroidXCon was kind of enough to point out your guide in another thread.

In addition to using it to sideload apps, I used it to find APNs, and edit those as well. Phone is stable and lovely on ST, with no attempts to reconnect to MediaNet. Yay!!

One thing you may want to mention is that the sqdb lite database functionality of root explorer costs a little more than just root explorer by itself (~$3 more, I think). Totally worth it, IMHO, but potential users of your guide should be made aware of that, methinks.

Thanks again.

Reactions: ls377

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Great guide. I hadn't done a search, and DroidXCon was kind of enough to point out your guide in another thread.

In addition to using it to sideload apps, I used it to find APNs, and edit those as well. Phone is stable and lovely on ST, with no attempts to reconnect to MediaNet. Yay!!

One thing you may want to mention is that the sqdb lite database functionality of root explorer costs a little more than just root explorer by itself (~$3 more, I think). Totally worth it, IMHO, but potential users of your guide should be made aware of that, methinks.

Thanks again.

Hmmm...that's interesting. I bought SQLite editor before I figure out there was an option in root explorer, but I'm pretty sure it was uninstalled when I tested it. I'll throw that in, thanks.

n2alltheworld

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I installed Swype but after it downloaded and installed it says it's for a different version phone and functionality will be limited. I was able to touch type on the Keyboard, but if I tried to swip, it would show the path and beep after, but no text was entered in the field.

Is this normal or what am I doing wrong? =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa