USB/Charging Cable

crazyjeys

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
where can i get one? i need one more for my car charger. i tried to search in ebay and the other sites but the picture shows a micro usb cable. which is different.

barreflynn

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you have a car charger from a G2 or any similiar they all work on the Amaze. The amaze added the bottom part of the plug to add stability otherwise it is exactly the same and works also with the computer . Save yourself some money buy a 6 dollar one on the street. It only has to match the g2 or g2x. T-mobile will never tell you this because the new connector will make them tons of money.

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you have a car charger from a G2 or any similiar they all work on the Amaze. The amaze added the bottom part of the plug to add stability otherwise it is exactly the same and works also with the computer . Save yourself some money buy a 6 dollar one on the street. It only has to match the g2 or g2x. T-mobile will never tell you this because the new connector will make them tons of money.

Umm that's not true at all. We don't sell the "proprietary" charger in the stores so there's no way for T-Mobile to make any extra money. For that phone, like any other phone, the option for any additional chargers would just be the universal chargers that we've always carried. Haven't had any word saying otherwise.

DSLAM

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, just to clarify. I was a bit confused at first as well. It is Micro USB that is compatible, not Mini USB. Those are two different things. USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After I got my Amaze a few days ago, I tried a regular Micro USB cable to plug into my computer. It charges the phone, but it does not engage the data transfer function and windows says that this device is unrecognizable. If I plug it in with the HTC cable, everything is good.

Also, I tried to plug this regular micro-usb cable into one of the USB to wall socket adapters for the iPhone but it does nothing, no charging.:( I would be interested in hearing others' experiences.

AntiOneAC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
where can i get one? i need one more for my car charger. i tried to search in ebay and the other sites but the picture shows a micro usb cable. which is different.

I called HTC and asked for the name/part number so I could order an additional cable. They ended up mailing me one for free. Item# 73H00389-11M. Description: Accessory Cable, Black, Micro USB (5/12 Pin) Cable W/ CE_htclabel, Black LLDPE, FOXLINK, 6691-1047-0283

DSLAM

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I called HTC and asked for the name/part number so I could order an additional cable. They ended up mailing me one for free. Item# 73H00389-11M. Description: Accessory Cable, Black, Micro USB (5/12 Pin) Cable W/ CE_htclabel, Black LLDPE, FOXLINK, 6691-1047-0283

Interesting, could you post a picture of the connector so we can see? Is it a typical Micro USB connector or the HTC varient that comes with the phone?

AntiOneAC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, could you post a picture of the connector so we can see? Is it a typical Micro USB connector or the HTC varient that comes with the phone?

FYI, HTC Tech support told me he wouldn't recommend using cables not designed for the phone, meaning "typical Micro USB connectors" even though it would work. I asked why? He basically told me the phone shipped with the cable designed for the phone. I can send you pics of both cables, but it is the same one that comes with the phone, unless you just want to look at it anyway. Also this a copy of the packing slip.

bga123

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
My experience has been the following,

A standard micro USB cable will work, no problem, HOWEVER, it will only trickle charge the phone!

The charger that comes with the phone though will charge the phone in a little over 3 hours. You can see the difference by going to Settings -> About Phone-> Battery and looking at the Battery Status field which will show either "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". Note that swapping the USB cables between standard micro USB and the one that came with the phone does not change this. The difference is in the number of milliamps being fed to the phone. USB spec specifies 500mA but phones like the Amaze want 1 A if you want it to to charge while using it.

If your power gets down to ~15% you will see a warning come up when your plugged in to a standard USB port of say your PC, which says there is insufficient power to charge your phone and recommends that you plug in to a wall outlet.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ChromeJob and DSLAM

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
After I got my Amaze a few days ago, I tried a regular Micro-USB cable to plug into my computer. It charges the phone, but it does not engage the data transfer function and windows says that this device is unrecognizable. If I plug it in with the HTC cable, everything is good.

Also, I tried to plug this regular Micro-USB cable into one of the USB to wall socket adapters for the iPhone but it does nothing, no charging.:( I would be interested in hearing others' experiences.

I suspect you have a bum cable there, OR a charge-only cable (I received one with a Duracell combo charger). I bought a generic AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A male to Micro-USB B, it charges fine and HTC Sync recognizes the phone without any errors. I've used another generic USB-to-micro-USB cable and it also functioned as expected. I've used the AmazonBasics cable with the HTC charger, and an Apple USB charger -- no worries. (Users should carefully examine the labeled specs of anything other than OEM chargers' output. The HTC is labeled for 5V 1000mA out, which the Apple iPod charger produces. I recall hearing that iPads take a higher Amp charger, which could fry the Amaze's charging circuits.)

FYI, HTC Tech support told me he wouldn't recommend using cables not designed for the phone, meaning "typical Micro-USB connectors" even though it would work. I asked why? He basically told me the phone shipped with the cable designed for the phone. I can send you pics of both cables, but it is the same one that comes with the phone, unless you just want to look at it anyway. Also this a copy of the packing slip.

I smell some FUD and manufacturer fear mongering here ... or a tech support rep masking his lack of knowledge with smoke. The manual calls it a USB port, period; the manual also repeats the buggaboo, "only use the cable and power adapter provided." The cable included with my phone has a wide aperture that allows it to be inserted at an angle, which could eventually damage the phone. A colleague had an EVO that he had to fight to get HTC to replace, the solder point on the Micro-USB connector inside the phone gave out so it would transfer but not charge. A phone that can't be charged is about a step away from brick-hood.

I was wrong here. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I got a warranty replacement phone to (hopefully) resolve a nasty noise during stereo video recording, and the charge port seems to let a standard micro-USB plug wiggle a bit in there. I realize upon examining the HTC plug with a conventional plug (in this case an AmazonBasics cable) that the square shape and notch in the HTC connection makes for a more stable insertion. The HTC plug is actually more solid in the charging port.

I'm now shopping for one or two more HTC cords as I don't want my micro-USB port giving out before the two-contract does (though I have extended warranty for the phone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_2.0#Power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_2.0#Mini_and_Micro_connectors

Last edited:

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
All manufacturers are going to say only use OEM cables.
Thats all about sales my friend.
I always buy the cheapest USB / micro USB on ebay thats at least 3' long.
They all work fine.
I have an extra Jawbone wall charger that I charge my phone on too at work.

What am I saying ?
Virtually all chargers and cables are equal and will work on any device
whether its a bluetooth, phone, etc.

;)

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I feel pretty darn confident concurring with you that all cables are about the same (four wires), aside from construction quality differences. The AmazonBasics cable I bought is sturdy, with nice solid connectors (which I think is doubly important for such a tiny, fragile thing as Micro-USB).

But I had to read up on USB (as much as Wikipedia has) to understand the note about shorting out D- and D+ for a device to recognize the connection as a charging port, vice data port. Those data ports are supposedly used for negotiation of power consumption with a host hub; shorting, I have to guess, tells a device like the phone, "Oh, it's not a data port, it's a charger/charging port that can give me the whole hog 1000mA I crave. It's a juice trough, all mine mine mine...."

I'm not sure how reliable the information on the phone is (T-mobile's My Device app's Battery information section, or the Android info at Settings | About Phone | Battery), but when I plug the phone into my Thinkpad's USB port, both state "Charging (USB)."

I then plugged it in to a Duracell car/home combo charger, same thing, "Charging (USB)." Same with a Belkin combo power strip/dual-USB charger. I plugged it in to an Apple 5V 1000mA charger (the cute little square white one, with the green dot) which should also provide 1A, but the phone still said "Charging (USB)." Then plugged it into the supplied HTC charger, and the status indicated "Charging (AC)." :eek: It doesn't seem to be charging any faster.... Just for farts and giggles, I tried the "cheap" car charger that Costco's wireless vendor gave me ... it also shows "Charging (AC)."[1]

Short of finding super-thin leads that I could do a short test with my multitester, I remembered that the iPod has a diagnostic boot menu ... sure enough the Power menu has USBDP and USBDN tests ... I connected to an Apple charger and found iirc roughly 1700mV on the USBDP and 2300mV ON USBDN. I recall reading somewhere that Apple does this for their devices to identify their charger, or something. I put the iPod on the HTC charger ... 0mV and 0mV on USBDP and USBDN ;)

I can't say how many watts are being sucked from any of the chargers. I'm looking for a widget that might disclose that ... if the phone even knows has a sensor for its charging wattage.

BTW, not *all* chargers are alike, iPad chargers are 10W chargers, i.e. 5V @ 2000mA. If you plug an iPad into a conventional Apple 1000mA charger, and leave it on, I understand it will tell you "Not charging." You have to turn the thing off and ... leave it for a few hours. Some confusion about this

[1] For years I'd liked that Nokia billed their car chargers, and premium varieties of AC chargers, as "rapid charge" chargers, and they certainly seemed to charge my phones quicker. Handy indeed for either application, in which the time that a phone would be "plugged in" could be assumed to be briefer.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I feel pretty darn confident concurring with you that all cables are about the same (four wires), aside from construction quality differences. The AmazonBasics cable I bought is sturdy, with nice solid connectors (which I think is doubly important for such a tiny, fragile thing as Micro-USB).

But I had to read up on USB (as much as Wikipedia has) to understand the note about shorting out D- and D+ for a device to recognize the connection as a charging port, vice data port. Those data ports are supposedly used for negotiation of power consumption with a host hub; shorting, I have to guess, tells a device like the phone, "Oh, it's not a data port, it's a charger/charging port that can give me the whole hog 1000mA I crave. It's a juice trough, all mine mine mine...."

I'm not sure how reliable the information on the phone is (T-mobile's My Device app's Battery information section, or the Android info at Settings | About Phone | Battery), but when I plug the phone into my Thinkpad's USB port, both state "Charging (USB)."

I then plugged it in to a Duracell car/home combo charger, same thing, "Charging (USB)." Same with a Belkin combo power strip/dual-USB charger. I plugged it in to an Apple 5V 1000mA charger (the cute little square white one, with the green dot) which should also provide 1A, but the phone still said "Charging (USB)." Then plugged it into the supplied HTC charger, and the status indicated "Charging (AC)." :eek: It doesn't seem to be charging any faster.... Just for farts and giggles, I tried the "cheap" car charger that Costco's wireless vendor gave me ... it also shows "Charging (AC)."[1]

Short of finding super-thin leads that I could do a short test with my multitester, I remembered that the iPod has a diagnostic boot menu ... sure enough the Power menu has USBDP and USBDN tests ... I connected to an Apple charger and found iirc roughly 1700mV on the USBDP and 2300mV ON USBDN. I recall reading somewhere that Apple does this for their devices to identify their charger, or something. I put the iPod on the HTC charger ... 0mV and 0mV on USBDP and USBDN ;)

I can't say how many watts are being sucked from any of the chargers. I'm looking for a widget that might disclose that ... if the phone even knows has a sensor for its charging wattage.

BTW, not *all* chargers are alike, iPad chargers are 10W chargers, i.e. 5V @ 2000mA. If you plug an iPad into a conventional Apple 1000mA charger, and leave it on, I understand it will tell you "Not charging." You have to turn the thing off and ... leave it for a few hours. Some confusion about this

[1] For years I'd liked that Nokia billed their car chargers, and premium varieties of AC chargers, as "rapid charge" chargers, and they certainly seemed to charge my phones quicker. Handy indeed for either application, in which the time that a phone would be "plugged in" could be assumed to be briefer.

I have Thunderbolt and Rezound, and both have a sensor to read battery charging amps. You can use a widget like "battery monitor widget" to see and log battery drain or charge. You can compare different charger/cable combos to see what you get. I've found at least on both of my Rezounds, that the cable itself didn't matter in terms of charging or data connection.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have Thunderbolt and Rezound, and both have a sensor to read battery charging amps. You can use a widget like "battery monitor widget" to see and log battery drain or charge. You can compare different charger/cable combos to see what you get. I've found at least on both of my Rezounds, that the cable itself didn't matter in terms of charging or data connection.

I've been using Battery Monitor Widget, and though it's a really neat tool, it doesn't show you the actual charge voltage. I've confirmed this with the developer.

What it DOES tell you, if you zoom in on the "Availability" graph, is how fast the charge was, and the developer has the charging graph line color-coded for USB (data) or USB (AC) connection (based on what the device reads from the cable). He recommended charging in Airplane Mode with screen off, with different chargers, and check the graph. I concur, that would be a good "control" test.

Does the Amaze really take 3 hours to charge?? Or is that on a lower wattage cable?

Please read the entire thread. It's not the cable. I'll say it agin: it's not the cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa