Here's Why No SD Card!

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Because all sliders need an led, google just screwed up that one for me,i really wanted led. Other than that the phone is nearly perfect.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think I figured it out. First, you need to realize that one key purpose of this device was to be the development phone for new Gingerbread hardware features not supported on the Nexus 1. So if it's a new hardware feature, like NFC...Nexus S needs to support and be an example of it.

Now, from the 2.3 SDK docs...

Google needed the new dev phone to be not have a removable SD card, since that is a new "supported feature" in Gingerbread...and no other Android devices currently have that configuration.

This is first a foremost a dev phone...which just happens to be offered to consumers. Get that through your mind, and some of these decisions make sense.

Case closed.
Not case closed at all. First, it doesn't follow logically because not having an SD slot now excludes the ability to test with a feature that the overwhelming majority of Android phones have. There is also the small detail that simply removing the SD card for testing purposes would accomplish the same thing.

This arguement is good for justifying large onboard memory, but not the lack of an SD card slot. Google just blew it on this one.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Not case closed at all. First, it doesn't follow logically because not having an SD slot now excludes the ability to test with a feature that the overwhelming majority of Android phones have. There is also the small detail that simply removing the SD card for testing purposes would accomplish the same thing.

This arguement is good for justifying large onboard memory, but not the lack of an SD card slot. Google just blew it on this one.

Not true. The physical presence of the card is a very small portion. Mount points still exist, and the system is mapped to use the SD card. Ask DInc users or folks with generic Android tablet with sd and internal storage about that :)

Anything Google gives its "stamp of approval" to is designed solely for development. In this case, take the card out, then provide a utility to create a virtual SD card to test for older legacy devices, with a simple symlink created to enable it. The OP has found the reason, and it makes perfect sense.

What I don't like is the shift away from SD cards in Android this implies. Blame software thieves. Hopefully future versions of Android will be able to disable running applications from external/non OS partition storage completely, stopping the software thieves but letting people who use them as media storage continue to do so.

joeyfeffer

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I totally understand the no SD slot for development purposes. And honestly internal 16GB is a lot...I had this same arguement with my friend the other day. You don't need an SD slot.

Now the real question is as voghan stated why no HSPA+???
I don't care about the no external sd card. I never take my memory out anyways. I'm happy with the 16gb card I have in my phone. One day it might be nice to get a larger card, or maybe a replacement card if something breaks. My largest issue with this phone is it's not HSPA+. If it was I'd jump on this phone immediately.

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling that Nexus S will turn out to be a bigger flop than Nexus One.
Average customer doesn't know and won't care much for earlier OS updates. With Galaxy S massive ad campaign and availability + soon coming out dual core Tegra Honeycomb phones Nexus S will fade into oblivion. I will not be surprised if Nexus S sale figures will be less than Nexus One... Enjoy your "pure Google experience"...

(Nexus One owner)

I think your right. I get the whole DEV thing, but it will generate unwanted/misunderstood press for Google. If they wanted to test a none SD card model, they should have kept it for them selves. Another Nexus labeled phone that only brings in mediocre sales will hurt Google a little.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
im just wonder people are saying there is no need for an SD card right?

now im going to use my friend and her vibrent for example, she made a small error while flashing which caused the phone to stop working and she lost all her photos which were on her on-board memory. now if she didnt have her SD she would have been screwed and lost older photos.

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
im just wonder people are saying there is no need for an SD card right?

now im going to use my friend and her vibrent for example, she made a small error while flashing which caused the phone to stop working and she lost all her photos which were on her on-board memory. now if she didnt have her SD she would have been screwed and lost older photos.

Ahhh, but she made the error "while flashing" (by which I assume you mean flashing a rom as opposed to exposing herself) this is something that falls outside the warrantied use of the phone. Also using a "goldcard" as part of the rooting process requires a removable card. Maybe its the OEM's who want to do away with removable storage to prevent rooting and custom roms.

miniZ

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh, but she made the error "while flashing" (by which I assume you mean flashing a rom as opposed to exposing herself) this is something that falls outside the warrantied use of the phone. Also using a "goldcard" as part of the rooting process requires a removable card.

.. I do believe the Nexus series can be rooted and ROM'd without the use of a gold card. Are you referencing future phones and their lack?

And for the other person.. isn't a rule of rooting to always back phone up before doing so?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hey, Windows Phone 7 users and iPhone users don't complain...

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant

Right, but when your used to having something on virtually every device since Android first got its start, it is pretty disappointing to see it not included.

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk Pro

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Right, but when your used to having something on virtually every device since Android first got its start, it is pretty disappointing to see it not included.

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk Pro
I understand this, but the thing is, Google made this for people to make apps for other devices, its your choice if you want this as a personal device. Another thing people have to realize is that Google is making more money off of the OS rather than the phone, Google could have easily not made a phone and you would be stuck with waiting months for an update. Oh, and at least Google didn't strip the mass storage capability, then is when we have the pure right of complaining, but this is pure open space, you still have space and it is nothing to cry over. If you do cry over this, then just keep your current device or wait for something "better".

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Oh don't worry, I'm not crying over this by any means. I understand Google's positioning here, but I also understand both sides here. Disappointing? Yes. But for me, it's not a deal breaker.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
A big reason Google/Sammy decided to go with an iNAND memory card and drop the SD external is to have games be able to draw data faster from the direct memory card.

Considering the push Google wants to make into gaming on Android, I have to concede this makes sense.

The pieces are coming together, and I'm beginning to change my mind about the Nexus S, despite being vocally critical of its specs the past week since its announcement.

Now, how do I conjure up ~$600 dollars...? Hm.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy into the reason stated in this thread as to why there's no memory card. There are countless other android phones that had unique hardware circumstances that the nexus one dev phone did not have, such as front camera for video calling, fm radio, etc. Making a device with a limitation like this just to test one little code function hook into the OS is not how these things work and that's not why Samsung excluded memory card. There are plenty of ways to develop for and test a function.