Evo or Nexus?

seebee72

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
In anticipation of Sprint releasing the Nexus S I have tried to get myself acquainted with the device.

I am unsure if I want to go with the Evo or the Nexus S. I was about a strong winds blow from choosing the Evo. But now I?am going to wait to see what Sprint releases this 22nd.

I have never had an Android device and will be coming from the HPalm Pixi.

I have seen how to get around no LED notifications, is there a way to assign a physical camera button?

Also, is the nexus able to do some kind of face to face? Even with Skype? If no is it possible it could happen with an update?

Final query, whats the cheapest you have seen the Nexus for? I know when I was shopping for Evo?s I saw it at $149.99

Thanks for all opinions guys and gals.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
In anticipation of Sprint releasing the Nexus S I have tried to get myself acquainted with the device.

I am unsure if I want to go with the Evo or the Nexus S. I was about a strong winds blow from choosing the Evo. But now I?am going to wait to see what Sprint releases this 22nd.

Well this is just a rumor. It has not been confirmed about Sprint getting the Nexus S. Also if it is announced then it might not come out that day. It somtimes takes a while.

I have never had an Android device and will be coming from the HPalm Pixi.

Read over this so you can make a smoother switch.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/33254-palm-webos-homebrewers-guide-android.html
->Getting Started With Android<- and ->New Android Device

I have seen how to get around no LED notifications, is there a way to assign a physical camera button?

I am not sure. I will look into it.

Also, is the nexus able to do some kind of face to face? Even with Skype? If no is it possible it could happen with an update?
Yes you can download Tango and video chat with other devices and platforms. There are many video chatting apps on the market Skype currently doesn't have video chat support but is supposed to come soon. Google Talk has video chat support on Android 3.0 so I think when the Nexus S gets its next MAJOR update it will have Google Talk with video chat support.

Final query, whats the cheapest you have seen the Nexus for? I know when I was shopping for Evo?s I saw it at $149.99

Thanks for all opinions guys and gals.

Well you can get it on contract for $199.99 which is the cheapest I have seen it. I recommend getting it off-contract because you end up paying more sometimes when you get a contract. Also T-Mobile has some GREAT off-contract plans. Unlimited plans cost $49.99 for talk only, $59.99 for unlimited talk and text, and $79.99 for unlimited talk, text and smartphone Web access. You can get as little as 500 minutes on one line for $29.99, adding unlimited Web for a regular phone costs $10 per line, or $25 for a smartphone.

EDIT: It is discounted for $99 but you have to be a member of myrz.com

I will be looking for answers to some of your questions. Also if you have any more, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: seebee72

seebee72

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Well this is just a rumor. It has not been confirmed about Sprint getting the Nexus S. Also if it is announced then it might not come out that day. It somtimes takes a while.

Thanks for the quick and more than helpful reply.

Yea, I realize its only rumored at this point. Im just going with the old saying ?where there?s smoke there?s fire?

I seem to remember though when Tmo released the Nexus S it was available with in a week or so. I may be totally off on that though.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I am tempted to look at the Nexus if the battery life is better than the EVO's. I like the size of it too. I have a feeling the EVO 3D is gonna be even worse on battery than the first EVO is.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Since now it is confirmed I would go with the Nexus. I am a vanilla android guy and custom skins are kind of a waste to me.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I myself have an Evo right now and I love it, but honestly I am selling it as soon as this Nexus S 4G for Sprint comes out. Why? one word; UPDATES! The Nexus will get the latest updates from Google and not have to wit for Sprint or HTC to update their phones because htis is Googles baby. Even with the Evo 3D coming out with 2.3, once 2.4, 2.5 etc comes out expect the Nexus to be the FIRST to receive it and about 4-6 months later maybe the others.:cool:

Omeza

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Got a NS and the Misses has an evo.

Both are incredible phones but the battery life on the evo is what turned me away. Also, the pure google experience is amazing. That's not to say HTC sense on the Evo isn't good I just prefer to build my phone from the ground up.

Evo has the better camera
But NS has the better screen and battery life. Not to mention updates (though you may have to do some manually)

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Got a NS and the Misses has an evo.

Both are incredible phones but the battery life on the evo is what turned me away. Also, the pure google experience is amazing. That's not to say HTC sense on the Evo isn't good I just prefer to build my phone from the ground up.

Evo has the better camera
But NS has the better screen and battery life. Not to mention updates (though you may have to do some manually)

I am hoping theater the camera will be better once we get the next major update. It doesn't. Record HD because Gingerbread doesn't support it hut Honeycomb does so maybe when get the "I" update it will record in HD. The galaxy s phones do, so I don't see why the Nexus S shouldn't.