Finally got the NS.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I posted a thread a while back with concerns about the issues at launch.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s/84849-looking-nexus-s-issues-fixed.html

After some helpful members assured me that they are all fixed I finally got my NS yesterday. So far so good. The screen is just as brilliant as my captivate. I don't know if I am just lucky or if it's because it came loaded with 2.3.3 already but I have no yellow effect on the whites what so ever. Did the 2.3.4 OTA shortly after it booted and the colors are still vibrant and appear correct.

I am having one issue though. The launcher seems to crap out and I can't move any apps on the home pages or put new ones on. They go to the garbage bin even if I am trying to put it on a totally empty page. I have to force close the launcher to get it to work again.
I've found a few others with the same issue but no solution. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Over all, happy as heck so far. It's very quick and responsive.

Thanks to those who helped me decide in my other thread.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I posted a thread a while back with concerns about the issues at launch.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s/84849-looking-nexus-s-issues-fixed.html

After some helpful members assured me that they are all fixed I finally got my NS yesterday. So far so good. The screen is just as brilliant as my captivate. I don't know if I am just lucky or if it's because it came loaded with 2.3.3 already but I have no yellow effect on the whites what so ever. Did the 2.3.4 OTA shortly after it booted and the colors are still vibrant and appear correct.

I am having one issue though. The launcher seems to crap out and I can't move any apps on the home pages or put new ones on. They go to the garbage bin even if I am trying to put it on a totally empty page. I have to force close the launcher to get it to work again.
I've found a few others with the same issue but no solution. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Over all, happy as heck so far. It's very quick and responsive.

Thanks to those who helped me decide in my other thread.

I am having the same issue.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear the NS is working out for you! It does have a couple of rough spots, but I've been happy with it. (And just to needle our N1 friends a bit, it was most definitely an upgrade to my N1 experience!)

And yeah, the launcher does have a bug that prevents you from moving objects around. (Sorry I would've mentioned it, but it slipped my mind as I rarely rearrange things anymore). It seems to be most easily triggered if you are using folders on the home screen and you have a folder open when you install an app.

(There are other triggers for this bug, but that is easiest to reproduce.)

The fix is either reboot the phone (yuck!) or to force stop the launcher. That can be done by going into the Applications (either from Settings or the "popup" menu on the home screen). Then Tap on "Launcher" and tap on "Force Stop".

ieko

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Used the Nexus S while in Canada and had basically no issues. The battery was a dream compared to my previous phones.. I actually only needed 2 to get through a day!

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I made a post about this a week or two ago and just gave in, I love Launcherpro... the Widgets are great and it:s just so smooth. Hope they fix it in 2.4 because if the launcher looks anything like the 3.1 launcher, then it might look amazing. So yeah only solution I can think of that is practical, download another launcher (recommending Launcherpro) or you could just force close the launcher every time it freezes (which is almost always). To be honest the stock launcher runs pretty slow actually.

Sent from my Nexus S

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
wow, that's not been my experience at all. The stock launcher has always been smooth and fast. I loved LP on my N1, but for the NS, it never felt smooth. Fast, yes, but the animation was like a low frame rate or something. Im still hoping for the LP rewrite, maybe it will be the high framerate scrolling that I get with my stock launcher

The only issue I've had with the stock launcher is the one where I can't rearrange icons. But never slow or freezing. Weird.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That is extremely odd, almost everyone I know that has a Nexus S has this issue. I find Launcherpro to be fast and smooth, at least better than the stock launcher.

Sent from my Xoom

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed some weird bugs with the stock launcher. Most recently, I rebooted the phone and all my widgets were gone. I've switched to LP to hopefully avoid these bugs (and for the better widgets and customizable dock).

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I also noticed some weird bugs with the stock launcher. Most recently, I rebooted the phone and all my widgets were gone. I've switched to LP to hopefully avoid these bugs (and for the better widgets and customizable dock).

Yeah that was another issue I had with the stock launcher. Launcherpro fixes this completely.

Sent from my Nexus S

djshack#AC

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I actually ended up with the LP force closing on startup problem and I'm now trying out GO Launcher Ex. I'm liking it. Particularly the app folders in the app drawer.