iPhone 4 VS Google Nexus S

Warm Beans

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey there, I've been faced with a dilemma

I currently have an iPhone 4, jailbroken.
I have the opportunity to upgrade my device to a Google Nexus S for about $50-100. I've been an iOS user since 2009 and I'm very familiar with it, but I've played around with some Android devices and I really like what I see. I've heard a lot of good things about the Google Nexus S, also.

I need your guys' opinions. Should I switch to the Nexus S or stay with the iPhone 4? I'd be using the phone mainly for web browsing, apps, social networking, texting, calling, listening to music, etc.

Also, one big gripe I have about the iOS is that I'm pretty much forced to jailbreak each time in order to get the most out of iOS. Is it the same case with Android? Do you really have to root to get the most out of it?

Thanks.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey there, I've been faced with a dilemma

I currently have an iPhone 4, jailbroken.
I have the opportunity to upgrade my device to a Google Nexus S for about $50-100. I've been an iOS user since 2009 and I'm very familiar with it, but I've played around with some Android devices and I really like what I see. I've heard a lot of good things about the Google Nexus S, also.

I need your guys' opinions. Should I switch to the Nexus S or stay with the iPhone 4? I'd be using the phone mainly for web browsing, apps, social networking, texting, calling, listening to music, etc.

Also, one big gripe I have about the iOS is that I'm pretty much forced to jailbreak each time in order to get the most out of iOS. Is it the same case with Android? Do you really have to root to get the most out of it?

Thanks.
Well, I would go for the Nexus s 4g. It has out of the box free tethering and NFC capabilities. Not to mention all the other stuff that makes Android OS better than Apple (more customizable - see live wall papers). The only problem I can see for you is with the music. iTunes does not sync with Nexus, so you may have to use other means - Google Music is looking real good, but believe that it is still in beta mode. Double twist is popular and then there is the Amazon cloud. You can also just move your music, but if you have more than about 16 gb, then this seems like a problem. Best solution, look at Google Music - even in beta.

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Ill add to your "jailbreak" inquiry. You don't jailbreak android. You root android.

Rooting does give you more options. Screen shots, reboot options, free tethering, free hotspot tethering, access to internal files and kernels and above all... custom Rom'ing and MODing.

Dont get me wrong. Unrooted can still theme and be heavily customized and skinned and free tether (via paid app) and do more than a jailbreak phone can do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Warm Beans

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Google Music isn't available to users in Canada unfortunately :(

I don't think music is that big of a hassle, I can just rip off my my music from my iTunes and copy it over to my Nexus can't I? Or do I need a specific program to do so?

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Google Music isn't available to users in Canada unfortunately :(

I don't think music is that big of a hassle, I can just rip off my my music from my iTunes and copy it over to my Nexus can't I? Or do I need a specific program to do so?

Just copy it right over. IMHO having to route all your music through some program is clunky. Its just like placing files on a flash drive. Drag and drop!

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Ill add to your "jailbreak" inquiry. You don't jailbreak android. You root android.

Rooting does give you more options. Screen shots, reboot options, free tethering, free hotspot tethering, access to internal files and kernels and above all... custom Rom'ing and MODing.

Dont get me wrong. Unrooted can still theme and be heavily customized and skinned and free tether (via paid app) and do more than a jailbreak phone can do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

What paid app gives free tether?

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
As it is now no app is needed. Tether is free on the nexus s. I'm sure this will get "fixed " on the next update. But you can all ways root and tether for free.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
No, this a Google phone, Free Tethering will remain free. Sprint could have stopped this from the start, before releasing the phone, if they really wanted - but, then Google may have not brought over the Nexus to Sprint.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah wireless 3G tethering is free out of the box on the Nexus and isn't going to get fixed because its not broken. If you root you can get 4G wireless hotspots tethering with a free app.

bsage23

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 3G to the Nexus S. I wouldn't even worry about the decision . . . go with the Nexus!

I've been blogging some of my thought on it here: sagelaw.blogspot.com

Warm Beans

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I find it EXTREMELY amusing that I posted this exact thread both on an Android forum, and an iOS forum. Funny how the iOS forum advised me to stick with the iPhone 4 while the Android forum advises me so switch. My dilemma persists. lol.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Eh. Used that almost a decade ago on my Treo. Doesn't have wifi tether. Gotta use USB or Bluetooth, and the devices you can use are therefore very limited (tablets, etc.)

It is still a alternative for those who want tethering that lack the skill to root.

From Nexus with love

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
After owning a Nexus S and having experienced Gingerbread, I can honestly say that this is the best platform out there. I have used IOS, BlackBerry, WebOS, and Windows Mobile. Android is by far the beat and my experience with the Nexus S 4G has been awesome. It has become my favorite phone.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I find it EXTREMELY amusing that I posted this exact thread both on an Android forum, and an iOS forum. Funny how the iOS forum advised me to stick with the iPhone 4 while the Android forum advises me so switch. My dilemma persists. lol.

I think the main difference here is that most posters here came from ios so they actuality know what they are talking about. Most ios guys have never owned a android device. They are blown away by the notification bar that ios5 is going to have and have no idea that android has our since 1.5, (we are on 2.3 now btw)

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the main difference here is that most posters here came from ios so they actuality know what they are talking about. Most ios guys have never owned a android device. They are blown away by the notification bar that ios5 is going to have and have no idea that android has our since 1.5, (we are on 2.3 now btw)

Its only a matter of time till they have "revolutionary" iWidgets...

From Archos With Love

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 3G to the Nexus S. I wouldn't even worry about the decision . . . go with the Nexus!

I've been blogging some of my thought on it here: sagelaw.blogspot.com
Just read your blog. I have the same thoughts. I have used iOS for years, also webOS. I love iOS too. Pure android is the only way to go. I hate HTC sense... had the Evo for a while, now have the Nexus S and love it.

karatechess

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, to address the music thing, seeing as I can't tell you whether or not to go from the iPhone to the Nexus S (although I love the Nexus S, and I hate all things Apple. I'm biased, that's why I'm not putting that opinion out.) I use Audiogalaxy. I have WAY more than 16 gigs of music that I would care to tote around with me, so what this app does is you pretty much stream it from your computer to your phone. As long as you've got your computer on and have signal (the only downfalls I think, although I never have a problem with signal) you've got your entire music collection to listen to on the go. You tell the program on your computer what folders to monitor (even the iTunes folder if you want) and then you've got them wherever. I find it pretty useful.

As for the rest, you don't need to root to get the most out of it, seeing as most of "the most of it" was hidden by skins, and this is vanilla android. I don't see a need to root for my phone. The only thing I may do in the future is update the kernel so I can have BLN support to make up for the lack of an LED notification. But that's not a big deal to me, I may not even do that because it's not hard to turn on the screen to see if you've got something. Ultimately up to you, but I suggest the Nexus.