Android E-Mail app - Emptying the Trash

etrpolsky

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I am using Andr v. 2.3.6 and the suggested method doesn't work because:
- at "Inbox" the menu offers not "Folders" but "Move to folder"
- at Delete there is no "Select All" box up left.

Rocking Randy

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Since none of these options were available to me on my Tablet (Andriod 4.0.4) I went with delete all data and restarted my email account, it wasn't that painful. Checked on my new phone, you can easily clear all in that version of email. Unlike all other apps, this one does not update, ever. That just seems stupid.:cool:

Randy

Elizabeth G

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
1. Open Mail, and touch in the upper-left corner to fly-out the left menu.
2. Select the Trash folder (under 'All Folders').
3. Touch the phone's menu button.
4. Select 'Sync Options'.
5. Check the 'Sync this folder' checkbox.

You're a genius, Tim! Is there anyway your response can be pinned to the top of this question? I had 20,000 messages in my recycle folder and had been painfully ticking every single box for two weeks! As you can imagine, I didn't make any real progress until I read your post. Although I did scroll down to see a few other's thought they were first. LOL

Jeroen Verburg

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
For me this one didnot solved it. I use a Moto G with the stock mail. But I found a android issue where this problem is being written.
Hopefully when we all say make it work it will be solved.
You can find the issue on code.google.com/p/android and then search for issue 10232 (I am newby so I can not post a link)
There we can vote for this issue

tnerel

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
If your ISP can provide you with an IMAP account you can use your computer to go online and delete your trash. I tried this and the next time I logged in with my phone it looked and saw that the trash was empty and then it displayed the same information as was on the IMAP account.

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
For Android 4.4.2 - In the trash folder, open each mail one at a time and when the trash icon appears on the top, touch it. It means that each time you check mail, be sure to do this to keep abreast.

wot2do

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Go to 3 mini dots at top right of your deleted emails page--click and select "settings"-- then " general settings"--then tick bottom box ( swipe to delete box)-- then go to your deleted emails and swipe ' em !!! All gone !!

Frank De Grave

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
When I "swipe" it says :
* "swipe down to refresh"
* "Checking for mail"
Although my delete folder in my outlook mail system is empty, there is no sync happening.
The delete box remains full with 999+ mails.. :-(

Any suggestion on how to do this on a MOTO G ,running on Android 4.4.4, email sync is set up with a corporate outlook account ?
All syncs work, except this "deleted mail" folder.....

Msquixie

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Anyone come up with a solution to this? I'm having this problem on my LG Optimus S running Android 2.3.3...
Yes I found it. Open all folders press on deleted email or equivalent. Choose top email and hold down until list with boxes come up you can select one or a days worth and repeat. Use same procedure for all folders

tynane

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
The select all mail and delete option for me just kept crashing the mail app. I guess this was because I had so many emails to delete.
So I took the option of 'clearing the data' for this app. It does mean you have to set up your email again but it literally took about 5 seconds. The other 'drawback' (or plus, whatever way you look at it) is that it clears out all of your email folders except for the any emails you have not deleted in the last 3 days (the 3 days is a setting you choose when setting up the email for how many days emails to keep on your device, 3 days is default and fine for me)
Go to your phone settings -> Manage Apps -> Then scroll to the email app. When you click on the email app there is a button to 'Clear Data' click this.
Then when you go to your email app you will have to set up your account. It mainly consists of typing in your email address and password and then how often you want your email to sync and how many days mails you want to keep (it's a pity this doesn't apply to you recycle bin also!!)
It is very quick and easy to do. I was dreading having to set up my email again but I reckon I will be using this trick again soon. My email app went from using 400mb to 4mb.

MeganF

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
Hi I'm new to Android.
I did this on my new Huawei Mate 9: (I have a pop3 mail account):
1. In mail app, go to recycle bin
2. Press and hold the first msg.
A tick appears to the left of that msg AND selectAll/Delete options then appear at the bottom of the screen.
3. SelectAll, then Delete.
Hope this helps someone :)
M.