Prepaid phone choices

Brutismax

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a samsung droid charge and have been with verizon for a long time. My contract is up in june and I am going to cancel verizon and go withT mobile prepaid to save some money. What phones would be better than what I have without being really expensive? I have seen how much the galaxy s3,s4 cost without a contract but don't want to spend that kind of money on a phone.Will be buying new, with my luck buying used would be a bad idea.Thanks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hands down, no contract, new purchase, most hardware for the money - at $349 from Google Play - we have a clear winner!!!!!

Nexus 4.

For T-Mo you need the 1700 MHz band to ensure you have H+ data speed. Check.
Want quad core? Check.
Want more than 1 GB RAM? Check.
Want the latest version of Jelly Bean? Check?

If that's too much up front, Your best bets are still just under that price.My touch Q is $310 and the LG Optimus L9 is $290. After that it falls off steeply and the $150 dollar and below phones don't really offer much besides owning a handset. Sub-$200 dollars would probably frustrate you with slow data, outdated hardware and yesteryear's OS version...

Brutismax

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, those are much better prices than the galaxy phones. Looked at the specs for the nexus4 and lg l9, one question about the nexus 4, is there any chance that not having the lte will be a bad choice? Is the hspa going to stay or will that be phased out for lte? I know nothing about the networks, but I do like the the speed of 4g.

Brutismax

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The nokia shows sold out when I looked. The l9 would be an improvement over my droid charge ( think they named it that because if you use it much it needs charged, batt life is terrible) bigger batt, nicer/ larger screen and many other thinges.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, those are much better prices than the galaxy phones. Looked at the specs for the nexus4 and lg l9, one question about the nexus 4, is there any chance that not having the lte will be a bad choice? Is the hspa going to stay or will that be phased out for lte? I know nothing about the networks, but I do like the the speed of 4g.

HSPA+ isn't going anywhere anytime soon. If you live in a market with HSPA+42 and have adequate coverage, it's a good way to go. I get over 20mbs in some spots and average over 10mbs throughout the city and where I live.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
They'll have to support HSPA+ for a while. I believe they're planning on leaving just a little 2G on the spectrum to support the really old devices.

burnster

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Straight Talk Huawei Ascend II Prepaid Cell Phone will it work in southern ohio cause i have been told not to trust the area code service checker?

Durvelle27

May 29, 2013
Visit site
HSPA+ won't be going anywhere soon but to add the Nexus 4 does support LTE unofficially. You would need to root to permanently enable it

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 4 is the best option if you don't really have a budget.

Less than $200, you could go used/refurbished and get an HTC Amaze or Samsung Galaxy Nexus (unlocked). Still great phones. Amaze has an excellent camera and has great data speeds on HSPA+. Gnex still is a great option.

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
My Amaze 4G is still going strong and does HSPA+ on AWS and PCS bands. Just buy a bigger battery on eBay (~$20) and you're set.

comicalmoodydan

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my LG Optimus L9 on Amazon for $190 plus free shipping and no tax. Honestly It's quite a nice phone I'm very happy with it. It's a solid mid range android phone that works well. A very strong point of this phone is it's battery life. Even with moderate usage I can go all day and into some of the night without a charge. I know with light usage I've even manged to get a couple of days without charging it, it has great battery life for a smart phone. I've found the audio quality on the phone to be excellent and it appears to pick up a signal well. I honestly really don't have anything to knock the phone about. This phone works well and for a no contract phone at this price it's a great deal.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I was just about to come here and recommend the Optimus l9 when I discovered someone just beat me to the punch. Nobody can believe this phone cost less than $200 ($190 new on eBay). By the way, it operates on the T Mobile network. I was trying to see if any large screen phones were available in a prepaid phone, and I discovered that this one has a nice 4.5 inch screen. And honestly, if I want a device with nice sound that I can hear, I have to put away my Nexus 7 tablet and pick up my Optimus l9. Absolutely the best phone I've ever owned... It's a mid- range phone that may just fool others into thinking it's something more than a mid- range phone.

Brutismax

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I went to best buy Monday and got 2 L9's, they activated them on the $30 plan for us right in the store. Best buy's booklet didn't show the right plan but the guy working there went online and did it on Tmobile's website. Total came to like $489 with tax and the first month paid and they had 18 months no interest so thats hard to pass up. Coverage in our area is real good, the 4g is running between 1.5 to 6 mbps from the speed tests I have done. We are happy with the phones so far, much smoother operating than my droid charge was.