Supplementing T-Mobile 4G Coverage

CouchFisher

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently a Sprint customer, looking to jump to T-Mobile. I own my Nexus 5 32GB and look forward to paying less for the service I use each month.

On a rare occurrence (a couple times a year) I'll travel outside of T-Mobile's 4G coverage area. Has anyone here ever tried to supplement the lack of 4G from T-Mobile by buying a pre-paid SIM from AT&T or Sprint that has 4G coverage and swapping out their T-Mobile SIM during that time? Just looking to cover all the bases before I make the jump.

Thanks!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly what you are asking, but I travel to Europe every year and have a data only SIM that I use to stay connected. Nothing to do but make sure it stays active buy putting some money on it once a year. Phone switches right over to the correct settings.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently a Sprint customer, looking to jump to T-Mobile. I own my Nexus 5 32GB and look forward to paying less for the service I use each month.

On a rare occurrence (a couple times a year) I'll travel outside of T-Mobile's 4G coverage area. Has anyone here ever tried to supplement the lack of 4G from T-Mobile by buying a pre-paid SIM from AT&T or Sprint that has 4G coverage and swapping out their T-Mobile SIM during that time? Just looking to cover all the bases before I make the jump.

Thanks!

I'm having the same thoughts. I'm with ATT and have been for over 15 years, with the same number. But let's face it, T-Mobile is quite a bit cheaper. I can save 50-100/month on a three line family plan. That's a decent amount of money. The downside of course is less coverage and slower speeds. As such I've thrown idea the same idea as above. Some type of ATT burner phone or some such.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same thoughts. I'm with ATT and have been for over 15 years, with the same number. But let's face it, T-Mobile is quite a bit cheaper. I can save 50-100/month on a three line family plan. That's a decent amount of money. The downside of course is less coverage and slower speeds. As such I've thrown idea the same idea as above. Some type of ATT burner phone or some such.

I wouldn't always say slower speeds.. That is not always the case.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't always say slower speeds.. That is not always the case.

Maybe not always, but can T-Mobile get close to 30_40/Mbs that I routinely get in Fort Worth? And I'm asking seriously. I've read that all in all there LTE is slower. And it's certainly less wide spread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe not always, but can T-Mobile get close to 30_40/Mbs that I routinely get in Fort Worth? And I'm asking seriously. I've read that all in all there LTE is slower. And it's certainly less wide spread.

The coverage isn't as good of course that's what T-Mobile is known for slacking on but yes their LTE can hit 30-40. In Jacksonville FL that's my average.

Some places in Texas they are testing 20x20 LTE.

Below are some of my tests.. The very last picture is the 20x20 LTE test from another user.

Attachments

• 1390224813489.jpg
    1390224813489.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 1390224824094.jpg
    1390224824094.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 1390224845974.jpg
    1390224845974.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 1390224858759.jpg
    1390224858759.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 137

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just did this one while driving on the highway with the girlfriend. (she's driving.. Not me :p)

Attachments

• 1390225168078.jpg
    1390225168078.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 72

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow. I certainly stand corrected. And don't get me wrong. I didn't come here to bash T-Mobile. I'm considering making the switch myself.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I certainly stand corrected. And don't get me wrong. I didn't come here to bash T-Mobile. I'm considering making the switch myself.

Oh I understand :). It's always smart to ensure you get coverage where you need it and the speeds you need before a switch.

As long as T-Mobile is good in your area you'll love it.. Just have to make sure that's the case :).

CouchFisher

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Since the post I made the switch to T-Mobile. I have to say, it works great. Speeds are fast, often 20+ down on LTE and with a few app hacks (xvoice+) Google Voice integration works just as well as it did on Sprint. In fact, in some cases the Google Voice integration works better since occasionally the underlying carrier number would "slip" into receiving caller's caller ID every now and then.

Since then, this
On a rare occurrence (a couple times a year) I'll travel outside of T-Mobile's 4G coverage area.
happened. I ventured into Northern Michigan and as I got North of Pinconning, MI I lost coverage by T-Mobile and I was clear on AT&T's network. The trip was only a weekend and by Saturday afternoon I received a text from T-Mobile that I have reached 40MB of my 50MB roaming allowance and nearly minutes later, I received a second text that I reached my 50MB cap. Given that I was on AT&T Edge roaming, I was surprised to see that I hit the data cap so quickly. Pffffft.

Both AT&T and Sprint have coverage in the area, with AT&T being 4G. Anyone know if I'm able to purchase a pre-paid plan on AT&T to get data back? The thought of dropping in an AT&T pre-paid SIM in the Nexus 5, getting back LTE for the few days to a week and using Google Voice to keep the same phone number is perfect. I just don't know if it would work? How much it would cost? And what the limitations would be?

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought an H2O SIM for this very reason. I put $10 on it for that one time a year I don't have T-Mobile HSPA+ or LTE. $10 buys me 100 megs at 3G speeds.

Posted via Android Central App

CouchFisher

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I bought an H2O SIM for this very reason. I put $10 on it for that one time a year I don't have T-Mobile HSPA+ or LTE. $10 buys me 100 megs at 3G speeds.

Posted via Android Central App

Interesting. I went to the H2O website and it looks like the rate is $0.10/MB and the coverage map shows 4G. Is there only 3G coverage with the pay-as-you-go plan?

mboon1985

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

i live in Seattle and say my speed increase 4 fold with tmobile. basically the only reason why i switched, to be honest.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

T-Mobile has a roaming agreement with AT&T. However, not in all areas of the US. I would give T-Mobile customer support a call and see if the areas that you will plan to travel to has AT&T roaming.
One good feature that T-Mobile phones has is the ability to make calls over wifi. Most most large ISP's
(I. E) Time Warner has wifi all over the place. If your a current subscriber to one of these companies? You could use their wifi to make calls and use data.
Or you could also just tap into any open Wifi open places like Starbucks or McDonald's, boarders books, Apple store to name a few.

Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol