Nexus 5 and TMobile

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
My GF is looking to leave Verizon to save a little money. She wants a Nexus 5 and was considering TMobile, but I don't see the Nexus 5 listed on their website. I know she could buy it from Google Play but does TMobile not carry it? Was thinking she'd get some sort of discount on it for starting a new contract.

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They're carrying the 6, not the 5. You may find a store that still has a 5 in stock if you ask them. The phones are both the same size (the 5 is 0.06" thinner) and about 2 ounces lighter. The 5 has a 2300mA battery, the 6 has a 3320mA battery. (But, as everyone here knows, I wouldn't take a phone with a non-removeable battery as a gift.) The 6 costs $643 on a 2 year plan (paid out monthly @$27/month). (Google is out of stock on the 5, so her only chances are finding one in a store that hasn't sold it yet or used on Swappa. Don't buy a cellphone from Craig's List or eBay unless the sale is done in a TMobile store and they register the phone to her as soon as she pays the seller.) Since the retail price of the phone is about the same as TMobile's price, all TMobile is giving you for a 2 year plan is a 2 year interest-free loan.

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
^ Thanks for the response, but the 6 and the 5 are not the same size.

However, is what you are saying true about all phones at TMobile? There is no discount for signing a new agreement with them, like there is at Sprint and Verizon?

Edit for reference:

Nexus 6: 6.27 x 3.27 x 0.40 inches
Nexus 5: 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 inches

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile doesn't do service contracts anymore. You can get your device on an installment plan and pay it off over the course of two years, but there's no discount.

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile doesn't do service contracts anymore. You can get your device on an installment plan and pay it off over the course of two years, but there's no discount.

Interesting, guess the world of cell phone service has really changed. I have stuck with my Verizon Unlimited Data so haven't paid much attention to what else is going on. Probably best we stop in a store then, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress