Pics/Videos showing up blank/black in Gallery & won't open

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
This is the 5th time I've had to reset my phone to fix the issue I've been having with my gallery. After a while, only the first few rows will load and the rest show up blank/black and won't open. It's the same for Quickpic. Why does this happen and is there a solution? Resetting is a pain! When I look at my pics/videos stored on my SD card from my phone, they all load fine. Could it be the videos messing everything up? When I take longer videos, they don't play the whole way through and then it freezes and says sorry this video can't be played.

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Try mxplayer, did you take the videos on that phone or are they transferred ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not just about the videos not playing. It's pictures not opening also. This happens in both gallery and Quickpic.

Posted via Android Central App

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Were they taken before an update? Then that's the problem, if not then under the folder android<data make sure there is no file named .nomedia a common problem in older devices

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
That's the problem... Make sure there is no file named .nomedia on your SD card...also

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes the S4. I checked on my phone for .nomedia files on both SD card and device and there isn't one. Would it only show up if I connect my phone to my PC?

seinx

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Uninstalling the updates? What updates? It hasn't updated at all since I bought the phone the day it was released.

Emma Davies1

Dec 13, 2017
Visit site
This is the 5th time I've had to reset my phone to fix the issue I've been having with my gallery. After a while, only the first few rows will load and the rest show up blank/black and won't open. It's the same for Quickpic. Why does this happen and is there a solution? Resetting is a pain! When I look at my pics/videos stored on my SD card from my phone, they all load fine. Could it be the videos messing everything up? When I take longer videos, they don't play the whole way through and then it freezes and says sorry this video can't be played.

Lawrawrxo

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
Have u found out how to get vidio/pics back oonce they are blacked out ??

I had this happen after my gallery auto-updated. I went into the gallery, into settings and the about the app to get to the info about storage and all that. At the top was 3 dots and they gave me the option up uninstall updates. Clicked it and all my pictures came back and loaded perfectly.

alambnz

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
Hi, my Samsung Galaxy S6 has started to have this problem - black images in Gallery.
Taking photos or video is fine, and they all appear in Gallery with a thumbnail. When I tap on any photo it displays (although at low res - that's another problem) but the real problem is that all other images (i.e. scrolling before or after the image I've first selected to preview) show as a completely 100% black image. The whole screen is not black, I can still see the icons (to edit etc) at top and bottom. It's the image that shows as black.
The images are fine when I transfer them off my phone to my PC.
My phone has the latest update (Android 7.0), and I think that update may have been when the problem started.
I have tried a restart many times but no factory reset yet.