Mobile Hotspot sloooow

SwTX_294

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I recently purchased a new S4 from AT&T and have generally been pleased with its performance except for one BIG issue (for me). I bought this phone to replace my Nokia Lumia Windows phone that I had been using for about 2 years. I don't have WiFi at home and so would always use the Lumia's hotspot for Internet access with my laptop. I never had any problems using the Lumia this way as to speed, etc. It accessed the AT&T 4G LTE network with adequate speed for the basic stuff I needed to do at home. NOW, since obtaining the S4 it seems like I've run into some cold molasses with the hotspot. It is EXTREMELY slow when connecting to it wirelessly - I mean to the point of being dial-up phone modem slow. Remember those days? I tried using a usb tether to the S4 and the speed got much better but it still doesn't compare with my old Lumia. I have made sure that no apps are running and all tabs are closed in Explorer and it makes no difference as to speed. The 4G LTE icons are showing and my location is the same as when I was using the Nokia. Any ideas on why my hotspot is running so slowly? Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Reboot both devices and try again. There shouldn't be a reason why the S4 hotspot feature is slower than the Lumia, unless it's network related.

Try installing FoxFi on the S4 and see if that allows you to establish a better connection. Let us know how it goes.