InFuse 4G with piss poor Wifi Performance.

Geddylee

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Hiya,

I have had my InFuse 4G for about a month now. And I have come to find that the Wifi abilities of this phone are gravely lacking. I live on the second look of a 2 story brick apartment building. Down in the basement I use to get 2-3 bars on my iPhone 3GS. With my InFuse at the same location in the garage, I get NO wifi signal. When I run the wifi analyzer, I am showing my network averaging around -70, -80. When I checked for the best channel, I set up my router to reflect that channel(both wifi routers have different channels, the DLink is set to 6 while the Netgear is set to 11). Still nothing.

So I got out one of my old Netgear 3300 Extreme routers and extended my D-Link Wifi Gamer router to the bedroom, which sits 2 stories above the garage. I thought MAYBE that might solve the lack of signal. When I went back downstairs, I discovered, that was NOT the case at all. The signal barely grew on the Analyzer. I was ticked! Still my iPhone hummms away on the wifi without issue.

Has anyone else had poor wifi performance with their InFuse 4G? And are there any possible tips or tricks that anyone might have to help increase the wifi ability of the InFuse?

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Garen21

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Yea I seem to have the same problem. My cousin's Iphone's get really good signal in my bedroom, so does my Xbox, but my phone won't even connect to it.

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
You're right, the wifi signal on the Infuse tends to be on the weak side. I saw this first hand in my cousin's apartment. 1 story, 2 bedroom apt, approx 1000 sq ft. The in-wall leviton box that kept the ethernet wiring & verizon wireless router was basically in the middle of the apartment but in a closet. So it was basically double shielded. Only around a 5 ft vicinity from that location could you get a signal of -50db or better. Anywhere else that you could be comfortable in the apt would always jump between high -70's to -90's, sometimes cutting out. So my solution to that was adding a bridged wireless router (cisco-linksys e3000) to another location(entertainment center) and is now better than the the router in the closet. Turned the wifi off in the closet and now have avg of -60 to low -70s around the whole apt. There are some thick walls there.

In my house though, 2 stories. Older home so walls are fairly thin. I have wifi router (dlink dir-655) sitting in first floor, basically in middle of home as well but in an open space. And I've never lost wifi signal anywhere on my property. It is fairly low when i'm in my room, 2nd floor but even that is low -80's or better but never once dropped on me.

Depending on if you have those newer homes, take your wifi router out of the in-wall boxes and find a spot with open space. Or do as I did at my cousin's apt but try to have the wireless router closest to center of the house. Most cases being center of the first floor. I have my wireless router sitting on a table, hiding behind picture frames and you can't even see it. Having them in a closet or in-wall box chokes the signal and will also promote the router to overheat which could make the signal even worse. Hope this helps you out.

Geddylee

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You're right, the wifi signal on the Infuse tends to be on the weak side. I saw this first hand in my cousin's apartment. 1 story, 2 bedroom apt, approx 1000 sq ft. The in-wall leviton box that kept the ethernet wiring & verizon wireless router was basically in the middle of the apartment but in a closet. So it was basically double shielded. Only around a 5 ft vicinity from that location could you get a signal of -50db or better. Anywhere else that you could be comfortable in the apt would always jump between high -70's to -90's, sometimes cutting out. So my solution to that was adding a bridged wireless router (cisco-linksys e3000) to another location(entertainment center) and is now better than the the router in the closet. Turned the wifi off in the closet and now have avg of -60 to low -70s around the whole apt. There are some thick walls there.

In my house though, 2 stories. Older home so walls are fairly thin. I have wifi router (dlink dir-655) sitting in first floor, basically in middle of home as well but in an open space. And I've never lost wifi signal anywhere on my property. It is fairly low when i'm in my room, 2nd floor but even that is low -80's or better but never once dropped on me.

Depending on if you have those newer homes, take your wifi router out of the in-wall boxes and find a spot with open space. Or do as I did at my cousin's apt but try to have the wireless router closest to center of the house. Most cases being center of the first floor. I have my wireless router sitting on a table, hiding behind picture frames and you can't even see it. Having them in a closet or in-wall box chokes the signal and will also promote the router to overheat which could make the signal even worse. Hope this helps you out.

Hey 63',

Thanks for the tips!!! I had done exactly that, well except I live in an apartment building, a 4 family flat type unit, so I can't snake a Cat5 wire down to the Apt beneath me to achieve maximum results. I have my D-Link Gamer Wifi router in the family room, and I put my old Netgear 3300 Extreme in the bedroom closest to the window over looking the garage area, hoping that might lend me some signal down in the basement. I have the D-Link set to Channel 6, the best channel according to the Wifi Analyzer, and the Netgear is set to channel 11 with DHCP turned off and the network plug is pluged into network port 1 instead of the WAN so it works as one continuous WiFi chain.

I wish there was SOMETHING that could be done hardwarewise to the InFuse to up its WiFi sensitivity. Watching the WiFi Analyzer it is obvious how much fluxuation there is with the InFuse. When I run the same tests with my old iPhone 3GS, its steady all the time with the WiFi signals, even with the new setup.

Its just really sad that a 2 year old phone, has better WiFi capabilities than something just made this year :(

Thanks again for your great tip :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87