Gingerbread: plus or minus?

davidbellevue

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
On the plus side:

• I am getting a LOT less freezeups and random reboots. Still happens once every few days, but it was more than once a day on Froyo.
  • Bluetooth connectivity is more reliable.
On the minus side:

• The phone works a little more slowly
  • The touch screen is a bit less sensitive
  • When the phone rings, I have to swipe the screen to see the caller ID. [Is this just my phone?]
  • During calls, sometimes music apps are activated. I had to uninstall Google Music because it PLAYED during calls!

Is this consistent with what others are seeing?

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with most of what you say, but do not have the problem with caller id or music. I have also noticed that my wifi connections are working better.

Cranky

Professional
May 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any reboots.

•During calls, sometimes music apps are activated. I had to uninstall Google Music because it PLAYED during calls!

Not a Gingerbread problem. It's an app problem.

The touch screen does seem to be laggy for a lot of users. Download the free app called SGS Touchscreen Booster.

Everything that I read seems to me to be a bad install. How did you install Gingerbread?

c00l0ne

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
after upgrade to Gingerbread here`s my issues
1.) drop calls
2.) more constant reboot
3.) freezes up
4.) less sensitivity on screen
5.) more delay when stating apps.

I`m going to do a factory reset on this crap today . That don`t fix it,, I`ll use my old 3g iphone till my contract is over. I just want my phone to make calls now.:mad:

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Like c00lone, I'm getting more of both spontaneous reboots, and phone freezes (which necessitate a hard reboot). Like two per day, on average, using my phone on (what I consider to be) a heavy basis. I'd rather go back to FroYo, but I don't want to have the hassle of backing everything up, etc. I'm over this phone already, though.

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I am seeing an occasional reboot but not as many as I had in Froyo. In particular, AKMD would often lock up and burn my battery on froyo, problem is gone on GB. Also, problems with GPS have gone away. My biggest new problem with GB is that the battery handler is apparently not reporting incoming current. In particular the "Current Widget" used to report incoming miliamps. Now it says "no data". I'm an opportunistic charger, when I come across a charger with a microusb jack and my charge is low, I plug in. Now I have no way to know if I am drawing enough power to make any difference. (1000ma is enough to charge the battery. 700ma is enough to hold the charge level as long as I'm not running too many radios; the battery will drain at 500ma)

davidbellevue

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any reboots.

Not a Gingerbread problem. It's an app problem.

The touch screen does seem to be laggy for a lot of users. Download the free app called SGS Touchscreen Booster.

Everything that I read seems to me to be a bad install. How did you install Gingerbread?

I installed via mini Kies.

I decided to do a factory reset and re-enter my settings and apps. That worked great - for about 5 days. Now it's the same problem, lock screen comes up instead of caller ID, and incoming calls activate the android music app. :(

mikbenn1

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
After updating via kies I was having issues with my touch screen and the keyboard. Once I turned off haptic feedback and switched to the android keyboard my issues seem to have been resolved.

c00l0ne

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I was having problems after the GB update,, finally got fed up and did a factory reset and now it runs smooth, and GB still there didnt have to reload with Mini Kies. Just make sure you save your files etc and you will have to reset your email etc,,you guys know what Im talking about. ;)