Was lied to about plan rates, what do I do now?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I was planning to switch to Verizon at the end of my ATT contract and was going to choose their 2gb for $65/month plan. I called ATT just to see if they had any interest in matching it and the girl I spoke to not only matched it, but gave me the same plan for $60/month. Or, so I thought. From what I've since been told, she had no such ability to do such and didn't leave any notation on my account as to the promises she made. I've spoken to two managers. One issued a $50 credit that was supposed to even it out. Which it didn't (I was paying $80month). The next switched it to $65/month but now I'm at 1gb which isn't enough data. I want them to either give me what they promised or let me out of my contract so I could do what I originally planned and go with Verizon. What recourse do I have?
Thanks.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
What do you have in writing?
It was all on the phone. I haven't physically signed a phone contract in person in 10 years. It's always been on the phone. The girl noted the wrong email address (misspelled it) so I didn't even get the initial sign-up emails.
I was so impressed with the deal she promised me for "customer loyalty" that I waited on hold 20 min to speak to her manager and commend her great work.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you just do this? Contracts from my experience require a signature... Either online or in store. If they did it over the phone it should be like it normally is with returning the phones and canceling your contract within a certain time period (usually 14 days).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It was all on the phone. I haven't physically signed a phone contract in person in 10 years. It's always been on the phone. The girl noted the wrong email address (misspelled it) so I didn't even get the initial sign-up emails.
I was so impressed with the deal she promised me for "customer loyalty" that I waited on hold 20 min to speak to her manager and commend her great work.

Do you have a record of who you talked to and when and what was said? Even if it is just hand notes?

You can file a complaint with the better business Bureau and state attorney general. What you are describing is considered bait and switch

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! After a series of frustrating calls, speaking to managers who claimed there was no notation about the promised pricing, who acted like I was fabricating the issue and who showed no concern about me getting the shaft, I talked to a gentleman in the "save" department. He was the first one who actually understood what I was talking about and found the notation of the promised $60/mo, unlimited/unlimited/2gig. He explained that the deal I was promised was completely unauthorized and while he couldn't cancel my contract, he said that he would make it right. He opened a case and there's a couple of managers working on crediting me for future bills so that I won't have to call in every month. Now, they haven't given me the 2 gig plan yet and I'm out of data (which is impacting my business when I'm away from my wifi).

So, I'll have to wait to see how this goes down. Hugely disappointed that I had to go to this extent w/ ATT. I used to work for them when long distance was their main business and we never would have let a customer get ran around the way I did. Just glad that I finally spoke to a rep who was able to figure out what was going on. The others seemed like they were running on artificial intelligence. Verizon, I miss you!

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Wow, this just got horrible. They never followed up so I called and a manager told me that the other manager screwed up and I was SOL. When I told her that you have documentation that I was promised a certain rate you can't lock me into a contract for a different rate, she said, "We can, and in fact have". Extremely brazen. I guess I'll start at the BBB. I can't imagine how ATT thinks it's legal to lock you into something you didn't agree to.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow, this just got horrible. They never followed up so I called and a manager told me that the other manager screwed up and I was SOL. When I told her that you have documentation that I was promised a certain rate you can't lock me into a contract for a different rate, she said, "We can, and in fact have". Extremely brazen. I guess I'll start at the BBB. I can't imagine how ATT thinks it's legal to lock you into something you didn't agree to.

Can you move to tmobile? Also try filing a complaint with the FCC. They handle all telecommunications companies. Then... social media. I'm sure they have a twt/fb account.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Can you move to tmobile? Also try filing a complaint with the FCC. They handle all telecommunications companies. Then... social media. I'm sure they have a twt/fb account.
I filed a BBB report just now, will look into FCC. Not sure what I should say via social media. Any suggestions?

Baffles me as to how they can think it's ok to lie about the rate, then do nothing to make good for it.

Edit;
Just filed an FCC complaint. Looked for an ATT facebook page but none seems to exist (?).

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah if she said that I'd make sure to go out of my way to go after them... That's just horrible customer service.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Preface: I am assuming paying the ETF is not an option, and to say ask for everything already said in writing and in a contract. One option could be to cut down the line on AT&T to a dumbphone. Get the minimum plan that you can get while still honoring the contract. Ride it out, and then say goodbye. They whine and complain about you leaving....throw all this back in their face.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
File a notice of dispute with att

" A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send to the other, by certified mail, a written Notice of Dispute ("Notice"). The Notice to AT&T should be addressed to: Office for Dispute Resolution, AT&T, 1025 Lenox Park Blvd., Atlanta, GA 30319 ("Notice Address"). The Notice must (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought ("Demand"). If AT&T and you do not reach an agreement to resolve the claim within 30 days after the Notice is received, you or AT&T may commence an arbitration proceeding. During the arbitration, the amount of any settlement offer made by AT&T or you shall not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator determines the amount, if any, to which you or AT&T is entitled. You may download or copy a form Notice and a form to initiate arbitration at att.com/arbitration-forms."

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what state you are in, but file with the state attorney general as well

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I don't understand, if you never signed a contract you are NOT under contract with them.

Is there something to the story you are not telling?

Posted via Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
And, It gets crazier! But, in a good way.
As I predicted, the rude manager never actually arranged a call back. So, I was on the phone w/ ATT for an hour and a half today. A manager in the "Retention" center had a long look at my case and felt that I was getting screwed around so much that he let me out of contract!! I was told by every other rep that they NEVER do this but apparently, they're going to let me switch to another carrier and will credit me the early termination fee because they can't fulfill the promise they made. And, I get to keep the phone w/ no obligation!!
They sent me a text of the promise so I have proof. I'm updating here because I want to help anyone who goes through this in the future.

I now have to figure out where I want service and get a new plan. I may go w/ Verizon (though they no longer have the plan I originally wanted). Or, take this phone to T-mobile, if that's possible. Suggestions/ideas are welcome.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
And, It gets crazier! But, in a good way.
As I predicted, the rude manager never actually arranged a call back. So, I was on the phone w/ ATT for an hour and a half today. A manager in the "Retention" center had a long look at my case and felt that I was getting screwed around so much that he let me out of contract!! I was told by every other rep that they NEVER do this but apparently, they're going to let me switch to another carrier and will credit me the early termination fee because they can't fulfill the promise they made. And, I get to keep the phone w/ no obligation!!
They sent me a text of the promise so I have proof. I'm updating here because I want to help anyone who goes through this in the future.

I now have to figure out where I want service and get a new plan. I may go w/ Verizon (though they no longer have the plan I originally wanted). Or, take this phone to T-mobile, if that's possible. Suggestions/ideas are welcome.

That's wonderful! Tmobile has updated their towers to include many of att's bands so it may work on their network as well. I would take it to your nearest tmo store to try it out. Also tmo has no early termination fees and unlimited music streaming now. I don't think it will work on Verizons network.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
That's wonderful! Tmobile has updated their towers to include many of att's bands so it may work on their network as well. I would take it to your nearest tmo store to try it out. Also tmo has no early termination fees and unlimited music streaming now. I don't think it will work on Verizons network.
That sounds great. When I got this phone, T-Mobile hadn't completed their upgrade in my area so it wasn't even an option. But, I see they now have great coverage and confirmed that w/ a friend. This will be awesome because their $50/month plan suits me well, has no contract, and the streaming music you mentioned is a huge bonus for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles