AT&T brings back unlimited data plans (DirectTV or Uverse Required)

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I hope my parents get this. They're on unlimited now, but if they switched to this, their bill would go down and I could get a second line with unlimited everything for only $40.

mike568

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I hope my parents get this. They're on unlimited now, but if they switched to this, their bill would go down and I could get a second line with unlimited everything for only $40.

If they do get this and they cancel Uverse TV or Directv they will go a mobile share plan and can't get the orginal unlimited data backs since it is no longer available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I wondered if they would make them cancel the unlimited if they cancel uverse or DTV.

Is there a link about this or did you talk to a rep?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wondered if they would make them cancel the unlimited if they cancel uverse or DTV.

Is there a link about this or did you talk to a rep?

On the actual press release (AT&T Introduces New Unlimited Plan For AT&T Wireless and DIRECTV Subscribers | AT&T) they have a picture that shows the data plan. Within the fine print it says if you do not have the required services you will be moved to a 10 GB plan. I took a snippet of it below (may be a little small).

Attachments

• plan.png
    plan.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 72

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
If they do get this and they cancel Uverse TV or Directv they will go a mobile share plan and can't get the orginal unlimited data backs since it is no longer available.

Yes, but this would save them $130/month and give them access to more lines on unlimited. Their current DirecTV bill is about $150/month, so even if they wanted to switch to another cable provider, they could continue paying for DirecTV to keep unlimited data and it would only cost them $20/month more than they pay now.

But with the money they'd save, if they kept DirecTV for two more years and then kept paying it after switching to another cable provider, it would take 13 years before this actually cost them more. Plus, like I said, the added benefit of adding more than 5 lines.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
according to the fine print, there's no mobile hotspot allowed with this plan. that's cause for rejection right there. also, the throttling...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
according to the fine print, there's no mobile hotspot allowed with this plan. that's cause for rejection right there. also, the throttling...

The throttling is in congested areas only. Once the congestion isn't there you return to normal speed. My buddy uses around 30-50 GB on his AT&T unlimited plan (he has the old one before this one was offered).

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Who all jumped on the unlimited data train???

I am contemplating putting my verizon udp on vacation and try att for a month.

willypguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the old AT&T Unlimited data plan. I cannot get decent data speeds in my area. I also have a Verizon UDP, and thats the one I primarily use.

Anyone contemplating this should check AT&T's data speeds in their area. I really want to keep AT&T, but the speeds are terrible. I could imagine what they would be like when I hit 22GB.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
according to the fine print, there's no mobile hotspot allowed with this plan. that's cause for rejection right there. ......
And there may come a day when one decides he/she doesn't really need live TV anymore, between Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Amazon Prime, etc., and if they go back to the MSVP, that 15 GB for the price of 10 GB may no longer be available. (Take a look at the fine print on the MSVP, One now needs at least 15 GB to get the $15 line charge. Otherwise it's $25 per line.)
This reminds me of how Verizon FiOS prices their Triple Play (TV, Internet and Phone) relative to their Double Play (TV & Internet). They include the "landline" for a small amount more than just Internet and TV, (but still loaded with taxes and fees). but who really needs a landline anymore anyway? Then there's those fees for the Set Top Boxes. Are there extra fees for boxes with DirecTV?
Hope by the time customers realize that DirecTV is an outdated, unnecessary expense, AT&T has a better deal for those wanting unlimited data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hope by the time customers realize that DirecTV is an outdated, unnecessary expense, AT&T has a better deal for those wanting unlimited data.

AT&T is doing this to get people to get subscribe and keep cable -- I highly doubt unlimited data will be offered for them without any strings.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Really excited about this. I'm sorry to those who don't even have one unlimited data line - not trying to rub it in your face - but my parents just switched to this, so I'll be getting my own unlimited line with them for $40/month that I'll swap between an iPad and old phones and keeping my other unlimited data plan with Verizon. This will also let me take advantage of AT&T Next and upgrade every ~2 years for about $25/month.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

So, I just realized my parents pay for a bunch of premium channels and have the most expensive package. The cheapest is $30/month (not including the discount for new customers), so if they did want to get another cable provider, they could switch to the cheapest plan and pay it every month without using it and still save $100/month over what they were paying before they switched to the new unlimited plan.

And even if all of them bought a new phone every two years, it's even cheaper than the old plan with discounted upgrades. I didn't realize how great this deal was at first.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So, I just realized my parents pay for a bunch of premium channels and have the most expensive package. The cheapest is $30/month (not including the discount for new customers), so if they did want to get another cable provider, they could switch to the cheapest plan and pay it every month without using it and still save $100/month over what they were paying before they switched to the new unlimited plan.

And even if all of them bought a new phone every two years, it's even cheaper than the old plan with discounted upgrades. I didn't realize how great this deal was at first.

Why must Time Warner Cable be so great for me

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what's up, but since my dad added a line to get my sister on, AT&T said we could get an iPad Air 2 for $99 with a two year agreement. I took it, since I was already going to pay for unlimited data for two years and I really wanted a cellular iPad (I had a Wi-Fi iPad Air 2). But for some reason, the hotspot is enabled. ??????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38