100% newb to root question (s)

Farabomb

May 23, 2011
www.azpinstalls.com
Well it screwed it enough that I had to go back to a stock image but it's back up and running now. I will look into Ti backup now and hope I can make a valid backup.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
wow just found that out the hard way myself, phone got all wonky on my last night and couldnt get anything to work, tried recovery to get back to before i tried to mess with overclocking and softbricked myself. That took a while to correct. Sorry Farabomb

Farabomb

May 23, 2011
www.azpinstalls.com
All good man, I'm not new to tweaking stuff. It was a learning experience. Now I'm running mybackup root, didn't like Ti because I couldn't seem to find a select all option. Ran AB/voodoo for most of the day then went home and loaded Gummy/PPJ to give that a shot. I do miss some things from GO launcher like landscape rotation and being able to place multiple shortcuts at once but I can deal. I'm certainly not regretting switching to andriod from 6 years of Blackberry use.

After hosing the phone and having to go back to ED2 how hard do you have to try to truly brick the phone? Seems as long as odin sees the phone on the com port and allows you to flash you should be able to recover. I remember years ago splitting the cost of a BIOS flasher with a friend just because we got tired of RMAing motherboards. Anyone on here that is using anything the devs created with their valuable time and knowledge really should donate at least a little something. Big thanks to the whole Android community.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
Seems to be pretty damn hard unlike my old Incredible, Im back on AB but holding my breath for GummyCharged GB Edition, Kejar31 has screenshots up on his twitter accounts! Yea its nice to be on a new phone just to see all the cool things that the developers are coming out with, not to mention being on android from the jump point to see all the crazy aftermarket support thats come out.

jonnymo509

May 19, 2011
Visit site
help, i tryed to flash my rooted thunderbolt to gingerbreak and when it came to the adb shell and the radio being flashed, i rebooted the phone instead of going through adb shell. now my phone is bricked, any help would be appreciated

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
help, i tryed to flash my rooted thunderbolt to gingerbreak and when it came to the adb shell and the radio being flashed, i rebooted the phone instead of going through adb shell. now my phone is bricked, any help would be appreciated

Hey dude looks like you might want to head over here to the Thunderbolt forums for the answer to that, dont have the phone and not comfortable answering safely, http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/. Good luck!!

alicklee

Jun 25, 2011
www.okok.ca
wow after reading all this I think I a bit scared to try and root my nexus S :( there was a few apps i wanted but need to root inorder to work. owell maybe i will wait until i feel more comfortable first

Farabomb

May 23, 2011
www.azpinstalls.com
Don't worry about rooting as long as you have backups and you can get to stock. last night I was having issue with gummy and it not notifying me of work emails so I just went into CWM and flashed to Altered Beast. One thing I did worry about is in the instructions for Gummy it says if coming from another ROM you must wipe. What exactly does that mean?

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
Most important thing to do is read, read, and when you are ready read some more! The Nexus phone is already unlocked so the steps to root are not too bad and there is so much potential for the phone. Head on over to the nexus section there are some great instructions on there

testt

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite confused. Where do I get started? Do I have to root to get Voodoo? As I only want Voodoo to clear up the lag at this point.

Also, I was looking at the auto root and it said it was "semi-root", so what does that mean and can I use it on EE4?

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
I'm quite confused. Where do I get started? Do I have to root to get Voodoo? As I only want Voodoo to clear up the lag at this point.

Also, I was looking at the auto root and it said it was "semi-root", so what does that mean and can I use it on EE4?

http://www.androidcentral.com/root
Check out this link, its got alot of helpful info compiled from the forums here for people just getting started with rooting your phone, your post doesnt say what kind of phone you are rocking but if you are posting in this one and have a Charge look at the top of the Roots, ROMs and hacks and there are a bunch of stickys from all of the ROM authors. They have taken the time to explain what the ROM entails and most have great instructions on how to go about rooting, I used DroidX's Altered Beast and he even has a picture guide of what to do( now thats what I call easy!!!) but be sure to Read Read and Read to make sure you know what you are getting into!
Edit- meant to say GunnerMike has a great sticky up there about how to use Clockworkmod and what Voodoo is.

Last edited:

alicklee

Jun 25, 2011
www.okok.ca
I can now say rooting is one of the best things that has happen to my nexus s. Been like this for months and wow so many options ;)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk