mbhammerbro

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is probably a weird question, but.. Is there any way that I can default my phone to 1x? I want to be able to have my email still update but not be using a lot of battery from using 4g or 3g. If I can't default it to 1x is there any way to just default to 2g?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No way to default to 1x, nor do I see a point as not much savings between 1x and 3g, but, if so desired, pull the battery cover, your phone will remain in 1x. Or put tape to block the antenna terminals

mbhammerbro

May 31, 2011
Visit site
No way to default to 1x, nor do I see a point as not much savings between 1x and 3g, but, if so desired, pull the battery cover, your phone will remain in 1x. Or put tape to block the antenna terminals
Thanks. I'm just trying to save a little more battery with it. I've noticed at times that if my phone gets stuck on 1x that I save about an hour which at times can be the difference between my phone dying and not dying.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is probably a weird question, but.. Is there any way that I can default my phone to 1x? I want to be able to have my email still update but not be using a lot of battery from using 4g or 3g. If I can't default it to 1x is there any way to just default to 2g?

Dial *#*#4636#*#*, Phone Info, scroll down to Preferred Network type, select "CDMA only", backout using the Return button.

Return to default by setting back to "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto"

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Honesty the difference between 1x and 3g battery wise is neglible. Save your self the agony and use 3g lol. Also the whole cover off thing does nothing. My phone maintains full bars with 4g with no cover so I am not sure why people say that?

straightsixm3

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Dial *#*#4636#*#*, Phone Info, scroll down to Preferred Network type, select "CDMA only", backout using the Return button.

Return to default by setting back to "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto"

-Frank

I don't think so... That's how I get my phone in and out of 4G. When I put it in CDMA only, my phone goes into 3G, not 2G.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think so... That's how I get my phone in and out of 4G. When I put it in CDMA only, my phone goes into 3G, not 2G.

Works for me on a 1x/3G network Extender.

Edit: Just checked and it also works on a native signal. You must be thinking of "CDMA auto (PRL)". That's a different animal.

Hint! You must dial the number above. You cannot use the new MR2 Menu to do this. That uses different syntax.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: NotJustAPhone

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

An easy way to change network settings is by using Phone Info, a free app available in the Market.

Under Phone Information, there's a drop down menu that allows you to change your network settings. Most are pretty self-explanatory, but selecting CDMA auto (PRL) sets the phone to use 3G and 1xRTT (referred to as 2G). Selecting the CDMA only option keeps the phone on 1xRTT.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankXS

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
An easy way to change network settings is by using Phone Info, a free app available in the Market.

Under Phone Information, there's a drop down menu that allows you to change your network settings. Most are pretty self-explanatory, but selecting CDMA (prl) sets the phone to use 3G and 1xRTT (referred to as 2G). Selecting the plain CDMA option keeps the phone on 1xRTT.

Sent using Tapatalk
Exactly! The app "Phone Info" simply dials that number for you. The confusing thing is this... with MR2 they included what they call a 3/4G Toggle. Well, yes, that's all it does is to toggle between 3G and 4G. You cannot get to 1x using that toggle. However, they used an unfortunate choice of words for the 3G setting - they chose to use "CDMA only". The reason that is unfortunate is because in the Phone Info screen, the "CDMA only" choice refers to 1x and NOT 3G. Sigh...

-Frank

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! The app "Phone Info" simply dials that number for you. The confusing thing is this... with MR2 they included what they call a 3/4G Toggle. Well, yes, that's all it does is to toggle between 3G and 4G. You cannot get to 1x using that toggle. However, they used an unfortunate choice of words for the 3G setting - they chose to use "CDMA only". The reason that is unfortunate is because in the Phone Info screen, the "CDMA only" choice refers to 1x and NOT 3G. Sigh...

-Frank

HTC's choice of terminology for the MR2 data settings is rather confusing.

Compare that to a setting that CyanogenMod7 (my current ROM) has that plainly states: Use only 2G networks. Much clearer.

Sent using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senkajo