2.2 Froyo Update - Report & Find Solutions to Issues Here (post #1 & 2 updated 8/8)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Froyo 2.2 has made my evo CRAZZZZZZY LAGGGGY... everything is slow and dragging. i got handcent, launcherpro, beautiful widget... wtf? i need some advice... is it just me...

Did you hard reset? Are you using a task killer. If you answered no to hard reset, and yes to task killer, your solution is likely in post #1.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Post #1 & 2 have been updated. Everyone still having issues with performance and battery life, please read it.

If I didn't list your specific issue, it's because I am waiting to hear from 2 or more people to confirm the issue you have reported.

Thanks,

Cory

Last edited:

dashib

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Browser

I updated to Froyo last night and I can't open the internet browser. It gives me a force close message. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix for it? :(

redriverd

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Searched, have not seen this issue.. in the stock music player, all of my music is shown as artist unknown, all under one album with just one album cover art for all songs.

AutumnLove

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm still getting Android.process.media errors. I've hard reset 3 times and it has not helped. The only thing that does help is pulling the SD card but then I still can't use the camera or the camcorder.

Do I get a new SD card or should I call for a replacement?

pined-apple

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Controlling "Apps Gone Wild" in the background on 2.2

Here's what I found...

After upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2, initially it seemed that various apps just seemingly were trying to run in the background. After some investigation, I realized its possible to prevent this battery sucking madness from occurring.

Its not exactly perfect, but at least I don't have a boatload of apps constantly running and it seems closer to how my EVO was running with 2.1. I was getting approximately 13-16 hrs of usage time on a single charge...I don't have enough experience after performing these changes to provide any salient comparison data. But I can say that without a doubt, there are less apps constantly running.

Here are some things to look at and consider.

[1] Turning off >>settings>>account & sync>>"Background data" does not act as a "GLOBAL setting". Keep in mind it seems that the data update and sync process are what cause the apps to run in the background. And it seems each app is governed independently and there is no way uniformly control that behavior by one global setting. Once I realized this I was able to look at each offender.

[2] In the same setting section, under "Manage accounts" even though you may not have New, Stocks or Weather enabled, it seems that you might need to manually set the update frequency to never or the longest interval possible. It maybe possible that while you don't have these accounts enabled it just seems to follow the settings.

[3] Likewise, you need to check in the task manager to see which app seem to constantly run wild in the background. These apps also seem to have individual update frequency settings when you open the app (some in obvious settings some not). Some allow you to set update only upon start of the app.

[4] In some cases some apps keep you logged in when you close the app like Qik...it's a pain in the butt to login each time, but if you logout, at least the app doesn't try to periodically update its data all the time.

[5] If you reset the EVO to factory defaults and re-installed the apps in bulk and didn't run the app after the install, this can cause some apps to try to continuously "call home" or look up there GPS location in the case of some geo-location app to initially setup the app. So go and access each app that you see randomly, constantly running in your task manager. As an example, I opened Aloqa and let it initially set my GPS location. After that I think the app uses the last known location, so it lessens its need to constantly initialize itself.

[6] Android is a Linux system, so I guess some processes managing apps are probably governed by init and inittab, so it keeps starting up not matter how many times you might kill it from a task manager. Again check for the offenders in your task manager and see if these are processes that are started up by default in settings>>applications>>Running Services. Obviously it can be a pain in the butt to have to stop the process if you reboot each time, since Android doesn't allow you to control which app process starts by default. As an example here, I prefer using K9 as a mail client, so I killed the default mail client and set the email downloads according to K9 frequency rates.

Again, this is not a perfect strategy, and you still will see some apps still turn on even though you might have followed some of the steps outlined here. I'm only speculating, but since many of the apps just use "reusable components". One app designed for one function might call on an a core Android API to perform some other function. Hence some apps might cause a whole boat load of seemingly unassociated apps to run periodically.

Gook Luck!

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm now having problems with messaging. I send but it does not send and does not appear in history so it looks like it didn't go but the person received it. Someone sends me messages and I don't get them. It does appear random.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I still have no luck with my secondary (and most important) Gmail account updating. I have done everything (deleting and re-adding accounts, clearing data and cache, etc) except a factory reset but don't really want to do that since it hasn't been reported to be a certain fix for the problem. Did anyone post a solution that I may have missed?

ok this happened to me when i recently flashed a different ROM. i have a primary gmail, and then i add my secondary. and the secondary would just NOT bring in email in real time.

the final resolution was in accounts and sync in the main phone settings, when you expand to look at all your accounts, there was missing a checkmark for that account. at least look into it unless you already tried it.

kigero

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm the choppy video playback - no task killer, after hard reset. Starting any video that I have in the gallery is really choppy. If I hit back to stop it, then play the video again, it's better (I didn't have to let the whole video play as someone else had mentioned).

mewn77

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
No its the one for text message. it has been replaced by language choice button at least on me phone only after the Froyo updates

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I did a factory reset last night and have started fresh. It seems everything is much better, but did get one force close on HTC sense this morning. My battery life drains fast when in use to tell ya the truth. I have done all the battery tips, even with this fresh reset, and have calibrated it. Still left with sub-par battery life during use.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Those of you PM'ing me for help... I'm sorry but I have a full time job, and cannot respond. Please post your questions in the forums, so you can draw from everyone's expertise :)

I will answer a few of the questions though:

* If you sync with Gmail, all of your contacts, calendar appts & mail will sync right up after your hard reset. So will your WiFi settings, and I believe a few others.
* If you're worried about loosing app data try using a program like MyBackUp Pro. That's not an endorsement - nor have I used it - it's just an example. I've read a few people say they've used it successfully. Having said that, you don't want to inadvertently backup something that might be causing your current problem, so my advice would be to just reconfigure the few apps that require it. Also, many apps with extensive settings (like TouchDown) provide the ability to backup configuration settings.
* A hard reset will not blow away anything on your SD card (like pictures & music), so don't worry about that.
* Look at previous posts myself and others posted about backup's in this thread. There's a tool at the top of this page that allows you to search this thread only. It works well.

Back to work :)

TomRubin

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
SD Card mounted ReadOnly error

I foolishly updated to 2.2 on Friday. Everything has been great until today. I turned my phone off and then back on and now every time the phone starts up I get a "SD Card Mounted ReadOnly" error.

I can't take pictures nor can I see my photos in the gallery. I don't have a task killer installed and I've already done a hard reset. Aslo, I don't have the light app that was causing the camera issues for other people.

Plugging the phone into my work PC and selecting the disk usage option does nothing - the phone does not show up in Windows 7.

Any ideas?

P.S. The disk is a 16GB Class 2 ScanDisk
P.S.S I did a forum search and I didn't see anything - I'm not using this in my car.

He123321

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Froyo 2.2 has turned my Evo into Sour Milk 2.2. My battery life is awful, drops my BT connection, brower is SLOWWW, and non-stop 3G/4G jumping at my house. I have never experienced these bugs on 2.1.

I did all the adjustments posted in this thread, but still Sour Milk 2.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d