4.2.2 Update

James Changstein

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am also waiting for my Google store-bought N7 to update to 4.2.2....

Is there a trick to initiate the OTA update instead of side loading?

Cheers

James

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
This worked for me today. It seemed like I was never going to get the update.

Settings >> Apps >> All
and scrolling to find Google Services Framework. Tap the ?Clear Data? button and confirm by tapping ?OK?. From there, use the back button to get to the main Settings screen. Scroll all the way down and tap About Phone (or About Tablet on the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10), then tap System Updates. You?ll see the ?Check Now? button to have the device check for updates, and you should notice that the last time the device will be reporting it checked was back in 1969 (which I like to pretend is an artifact of time travel). Tapping ?Check Now? should result in beginning the download of Android 4.2.2 and update process for many. It will ask you to confirm that you want to install the update.

raycer1

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
This worked for me today. It seemed like I was never going to get the update.

Settings >> Apps >> All
and scrolling to find Google Services Framework. Tap the ?Clear Data? button and confirm by tapping ?OK?. From there, use the back button to get to the main Settings screen. Scroll all the way down and tap About Phone (or About Tablet on the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10), then tap System Updates. You?ll see the ?Check Now? button to have the device check for updates, and you should notice that the last time the device will be reporting it checked was back in 1969 (which I like to pretend is an artifact of time travel). Tapping ?Check Now? should result in beginning the download of Android 4.2.2 and update process for many. It will ask you to confirm that you want to install the update.

This worked for me. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm so happy to get away from 4.2.1. It has been an annoying version for me. It would become unresponsive, and using Bluetooth headphones became an absolute stuttering disaster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

roysha

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Just tried updating my N7 again, still got a error, here's what its looking like for me. And yes, it still boots up and runs fine, just no freaking update

Did you ever figure out this issue? I have the exact same problem; I've tried doing the update 3 times and get this every time. I'm rooted, stock 4.2.1, and I've got everything backed up with Titanium backup, so I can just manually perform the update, but I was curious if you found anything on why this error happens when trying to update via OTA.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
LOVE THE UPDATE!!! It fixed the problem with audio cutting out when using a BT speaker. Now, pandora over BT works flawlessly, just like my Note 2. On the previous OS release, I gave up using Pandora on the N7, and even my own music files would have dropouts. Also, Pandora over the internal speaker had dropouts as well--just not as many as the worst case which was pandora over BT.

clashRAINN

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I just updated my 16GB Wifi Nexus 7 and I am SERIOUSLY disappointed to discover that Wifi functionality is totally messed up!! In fact I would even go so far as to say its BROKEN. I have 802.11g and 802.11n access points in my home and my Nexus 7 doesn't even see the 802.11n access point after the update! Is anyone else having this problem?? I know it's not my router because my Galaxy Nexus is connecting to the 802.11n access point just fine. This seems like a really major screw up on Google's part especially for a Wifi only device. Not only that but I am getting much slower download speeds after the update when connected to 802.11g... I went from 30MB/s before the update to 2-15MB/s after the update. I really hope Google fixes this FAST!!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
don't think it's a widespread issue. have you rebooted everything? your isolated issue hardly qualifies as "a major screw up on google's part".

clashRAINN

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
1. Yes, I have rebooted several times.
2. 802.11n is not as widely used as 802.11g
3. Most people that do use 802.11n probably also have 802.11g and may not have noticed that their Nexus 7 was connecting to the 802.11g access point as opposed to the 802.11n access point.
4. Android 4.2.2 has only just started to roll out for a majority of Nexus 7 owners in the U.S.
I think it's a little premature to say that my issue is isolated.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
ah, my N7 connects at 65Mbps. Speedtest shows 22Mb/s. good enough for me. Just what are you expecting/needing from faster N speeds, anyway??

My laptop, on N, gets, drumroll, the same 22Mb/s. sometimes 24Mb/s.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You might want to be careful what you wish for, as N has a shorter range. better to be connected at 65Mbs than not at all as you get past the limit of N coverage.

Willis

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
1. Yes, I have rebooted several times.
2. 802.11n is not as widely used as 802.11g
3. Most people that do use 802.11n probably also have 802.11g and may not have noticed that their Nexus 7 was connecting to the 802.11g access point as opposed to the 802.11n access point.
4. Android 4.2.2 has only just started to roll out for a majority of Nexus 7 owners in the U.S.
I think it's a little premature to say that my issue is isolated.

Certainly not an isolated issue. Had no issues at all before the update, now i get kicked off wifi about every 10 minutes or so. It will re-connect after turing wifi off and then back on. But really causes a problem when trying to stream video.