4G Bar Algorithm Flawed

eygraber

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't help but feel that there is some issue with Motorola's algorithm to determine how many bars of 4G to display. Since Thursday, I have had full bars only once (in the heart of NYC where I usually get full bars all the time), and this morning I ran a speedtest with one bar and got 27 down and 5.5 up. Anyone else experiencing this?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong about this.. but I believe the bars are possibly only showing your cell radio (i.e. voice calls) signal strength, which as I understand it is a different radio anyway. I think this because the few times I've been in areas with no data, I'll still have full or almost full bars and be able to make voice calls just fine. I think the 4G/3G logo might be your only indication that your using that while the bars don't have to do with data.

Feel free to correct me if I'm totally wrong, obviously :)

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I was in the city this weekend and noticed the same thing. Couldn't really determine whether the signal in fact was dropping or if there was something wrong with the phone. I will say though I had no cell service at one point for an extended period of time ( and I know it wasn't only me ) so its possible Verizon is having issues.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I know there used to be an app called Antennas that let you know which tower you were connected to. I think it might have given you the signal strength not sure though.

eygraber

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong about this.. but I believe the bars are possibly only showing your cell radio (i.e. voice calls) signal strength, which as I understand it is a different radio anyway. I think this because the few times I've been in areas with no data, I'll still have full or almost full bars and be able to make voice calls just fine. I think the 4G/3G logo might be your only indication that your using that while the bars don't have to do with data.

Feel free to correct me if I'm totally wrong, obviously :)

Then there would be an issue either with Verizon temporarily or the cell radio on the Bionic (really hope not)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this right away. The bionic only shows me at one bar in places where I had two or more with the charge. The reason: the bionic only has four bars, where most other phone have five. So in reality, that one bar would be somewhere closer to 2 on other phones. Speeds don't suffer, but the bionic has a tougher job displaying the true signal thanks to the lack of that one bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this right away. The bionic only shows me at one bar in places where I had two or more with the charge. The reason: the bionic only has four bars, where most other phone have five. So in reality, that one bar would be somewhere closer to 2 on other phones. Speeds don't suffer, but the bionic has a tougher job displaying the true signal thanks to the lack of that one bar.

Sent from my iPad? How could you? lol jk.
I didn't notice the missing bar, but I kind of was thinking it. Guess that would make a lot of sense. But does it matter as long as we're getting super amazing speed?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Sent from my iPad? How could you? lol jk.
I didn't notice the missing bar, but I kind of was thinking it. Guess that would make a lot of sense. But does it matter as long as we're getting super amazing speed?

Ha. Well, I consume a lot of media so the iPad is the best fit.

I think people are more confused than anything. Only having a bar and still getting face-melting speeds will do that to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys91