4G in Virginia

CrotchBat

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd pass along a little I'd heard. I was at a sandlot practice and one of the dads happened to be a higher up for VZW. He said they're going to activate much of Virginia on the same day or close to it. Originally the plan was for November 1 but he said everything is well ahead of schedule. Did not give me a date but he seemed really excited about it.

They'll be lighting up from Wythe county east to Richmond and then from VA Beach up to Fairfax County, apparently.

He said the company knows VA people are frustrated at the total lack of LTE in the state(except for Blacksburg, which they just turned on) but they're about to go from one of the most uncovered to one of the most covered states in the country.

I'll always remind you of the grain of salt but this guy seemed like he knew his stuff. I tend to believe it should be soon as well as they've been doing a lot of testing in areas all over VA lately.

mpciii

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I live in Fauquier County and recently had trouble picking up a data signal when using the Rev A modem on my Thunderboly. I switched it back to the ephrd modem which never worked at my house and got solid 3G back immediately. It's obvious they've been upgrading the networks even out in the stticks.

mcrichmond

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Richmond and have been getting 4G on Broad Street in the City consistently for the last week and intermittently in the Museum District. Never downtown. Photo from yesterday at Republic.

wxruss

Jun 7, 2011
www.weatherlink.com
I live 15 miles south of Richmond. But I was in the city last weekend and was surprised to see the 4G symbol on my phone. From the press releases, I didn't think anywhere in VA would have 4G this year.

Awesome news!

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Awesome!! I live in the Mechanisville area and work in Innsbrook wonder if we will get some LTE goodness in those areas?:D

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
This is great news if true. It means that I will almost assuredly make my next phone purchase be for an LTE phone. Too bad I don't know what that is yet. But, I've just been looking for over a year.

It just ticked me off why no part of VA other than the DC suburbs was planned to get LTE at all this year. Didn't make much sense considering population and demographics.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
This is great news if true. It means that I will almost assuredly make my next phone purchase be for an LTE phone. Too bad I don't know what that is yet. But, I've just been looking for over a year.

It just ticked me off why no part of VA other than the DC suburbs was planned to get LTE at all this year. Didn't make much sense considering population and demographics.

I was thinking the same thing! Richmond is the bloody state capital and the VA Beach/Norfolk/Chesapeake area is VERY large and densely populated. It never made sense for those areas to not get it before others got it.

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I was in Blacksburg 3 weeks ago and I was surprised to find that there was 4G coverage there. I know VT is probably one reason they got 4G this early, but there was no where else in Virginia that was a higher priority? I thought for sure Richmond, Roanoke or VA beach area would have got it first.

prevost4

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
A corporate Verizon Store on West Broad is advertising 4G coming in october on their sign (near Glenside), so I guess that makes it pretty official. If you don't see it lit up already, it will be in the next couple of weeks, just in time for the bionic launch.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I had LTE service all last night once I got home. Got to work in Innsbrook and nothing now. Hopefully its still on in Mechanicsville.

kc4ojm

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been in three Verizon stores in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake in the last week (checking out the Bionic) and when asked when we are getting 4G they all say October. So is that just wishing thinking or sales hype, or the real deal? A new 4G coverage announcement was in my email today and still no mention of this area. Seems strange if we are supposed to get it next month but Verizon hasn't announced it yet.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been in three Verizon stores in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake in the last week (checking out the Bionic) and when asked when we are getting 4G they all say October. So is that just wishing thinking or sales hype, or the real deal? A new 4G coverage announcement was in my email today and still no mention of this area. Seems strange if we are supposed to get it next month but Verizon hasn't announced it yet.

Well if you think about it Android central posted the article about more 4G markets being turned on on the 15th yesterday the 14th and we didn't get the email till today the day they turned them on so I would guess the same will happen here in va. If its supposed to go live October 1st we may not hear anything till September 30th or the day of

* the part where I typed 15th yesterday the 14th is kinda confusing (atleast for me when I read it back) I mean they posted the article on the 14th and it was about 4G markets going live on the 15th

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
If you visit the vzw.com/4glte page, there are four markets in Virginia listed to be released before the end of the year (under "coming soon"). I don't remember them being listed before.