5 vs 4a 5G vs 4a First impressions long read

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
We have all three of these phones in our family. My university aged daughter replaced her BlackBerry Keyone with the 4a. My wife's BlackBerry Keyone was in desperate need of replacing and my Pixel 2XL has neared the end of updates.

If you've seen my posts I've been very wary of the Pixel 5 due to the reported top speaker issues, but I ordered one at Black Friday pricing. It arrived today. The 4a 5G arrived last week.

First, the speakers:

My wife has hearing loss so the speakers are important. We tried the 4a 5G and the 5 and although the 4a 5G has a *slightly* fuller sound, the 5 is just fine. In fact, my 2XL sounds slightly muddy compared to both phones. Volume is great on both phones. The ear speaker is totally fine, clear and loud enough on the 5. Yes, it is maybe a little tinny, but it is clear. When my wife looked at both phones she chose the 5 for the smaller size.

Size:

The 4a and the 5 are pretty well the same size, with the 5 having the larger screen. Coming from my 2XL, I prefer the size of the 4a 5G. In fact, if my wife had chosen the 4a 5G, I might have returned the 5 because I find it too small, especially for typing. It just isn't wide enough.

Screen:
All three are fine. I don't notice the difference between 60hz and 90 Hz.

Conclusion:
Different needs and wants. But for us, the Pixel 5 speakers are fine. I'll try to post a video in the next couple of weeks perhaps comparing all three.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
We have all three of these phones in our family. My university aged daughter replaced her BlackBerry Keyone with the 4a. My wife's BlackBerry Keyone was in desperate need of replacing and my Pixel 2XL has neared the end of updates.

If you've seen my posts I've been very wary of the Pixel 5 due to the reported top speaker issues, but I ordered one at Black Friday pricing. It arrived today. The 4a 5G arrived last week.

First, the speakers:

My wife has hearing loss so the speakers are important. We tried the 4a 5G and the 5 and although the 4a 5G has a *slightly* fuller sound, the 5 is just fine. In fact, my 2XL sounds slightly muddy compared to both phones. Volume is great on both phones. The ear speaker is totally fine, clear and loud enough on the 5. Yes, it is maybe a little tinny, but it is clear. When my wife looked at both phones she chose the 5 for the smaller size.

Size:

The 4a and the 5 are pretty well the same size, with the 5 having the larger screen. Coming from my 2XL, I prefer the size of the 4a 5G. In fact, if my wife had chosen the 4a 5G, I might have returned the 5 because I find it too small, especially for typing. It just isn't wide enough.

Screen:
All three are fine. I don't notice the difference between 60hz and 90 Hz.

Conclusion:
Different needs and wants. But for us, the Pixel 5 speakers are fine. I'll try to post a video in the next couple of weeks perhaps comparing all three.
I know the pixel 5 speakers are fine , I was to worried about until it arrived and was like what's all the hype about them being bad , was not my case was surprised.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Pixel 5 sound call quaity is OK. Several people said I sounded fine. Calls on my end were loud,but a bit tinny compared to my s20 Plus.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
When I compare to my 2XL, both the 4a 5G and the 5 sound clear, whereas the 2XL sounds a bit muffled. It could be characterized as tinny, but I actually prefer it initially.

Pixel 5 sound call quaity is OK. Several people said I sounded fine. Calls on my end were loud,but a bit tinny compared to my s20 Plus.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds clear for me as well sure like you said not as full as my old pixel 4 xl & 3 xl, but clear and loud enough. I'm extremely happy with the pixel 5 and love the smaller form factor and bezeless display.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
@gebco, thanks for your thoughts on your new phones. And to the other posters It's good to hear so many are finding the speakers to be ok. Not sure how much longer my P2's battery will hold out, will put the pixel 5 back on my list of possibilities.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I know the pixel 5 speakers are fine , I was to worried about until it arrived and was like what's all the hype about them being bad , was not my case was surprised.
Well, you know something, I agree with both of you! I was a little worried too about the Pixel 5's speakers both for phone calls, and music. Even though I use my pixel buds for all my music for the most part. However, I literally have no issues with the audio quality of the speaker. It sounds good to me.. unfortunately, a lot of the news regarding the Pixel 5 is a lot of hype, and you have to take it with a grain of salt when you watch/read the reviews of the phones online. I mean, that being said, there's literally nothing I even slightly dislike about the phone so far.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, you know something, I agree with both of you! I was a little worried too about the Pixel 5's speakers both for phone calls, and music. Even though I use my pixel buds for all my music for the most part. However, I literally have no issues with the audio quality of the speaker. It sounds good to me.. unfortunately, a lot of the news regarding the Pixel 5 is a lot of hype, and you have to take it with a grain of salt when you watch/read the reviews of the phones online. I mean, that being said, there's literally nothing I even slightly dislike about the phone so far.
I agree , there are other phones that are better but it's not bad to me at all .

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
Pixel 5 speaker/sound fine for me - Pixel 4a even better. 4a rapidly becoming my BPF - what's not to like about a barley blue phone in a clear case.
Black P4 traded in on 4a - Pixel 5 will be back up phone. I need a 4a 5G to complete the family - :D

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
We are a Pixel family!

Pixel 5 speaker/sound fine for me - Pixel 4a even better. 4a rapidly becoming my BPF - what's not to like about a barley blue phone in a clear case.
Black P4 traded in on 4a - Pixel 5 will be back up phone. I need a 4a 5G to complete the family - :D

Attachments

• 160857.jpg
    160857.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 23

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I still have my 2XL as well. We were an all BlackBerry family before this, now all in on Pixel, except our son the renegade. 😁

I still have 3 Pixels - 4, 4a, and 5 - seems USPS has lost the trade in kit - :)

I have black - blue - and green - I win for colorfulness

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I still have my 2XL as well. We were an all BlackBerry family before this, now all in on Pixel, except our son the renegade.
oh trust me, you're going to love the pixels! Phenomenal camera software, beautiful software experience overall, and a very reliable phone!

Daveya

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
News alerts and the like only use the top under screen speaker and they sound awful to be fair but I like that, they are too loud anyway when notifications are on a I prefer their rather muffled sound

Watching the odd news clip etc the speakers are fine and I can only imagine those complaining about ear in call phone calls are holding the phone away from their ear , which is odd. Its fine

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000