5X is NOT Quick Charge 2.0 compatible, but has 'Fast Charge' technology - implications?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can you elaborate?
FYI I found this article pretty useful in understanding this topic:
Quick, Rapid, Turbo, And Fast Charging Explained: What You Need To Know About Charging Your Smartphone

There's a difference between Quick Charge (Qualcomm) (aka Adaptive Fast Charging (Samsung) or TurboPower (Motorola)) and regular charging. If it's just labeled 1A, or 2A, or 2.4A, it'll just max out at whatever the charger can output or the phone can input normally. You could see a phone charge faster between a 1A and 2A charger but it's still not "Fast Charge".

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
There's a difference between Quick Charge (Qualcomm) (aka Adaptive Fast Charging (Samsung) or TurboPower (Motorola)) and regular charging. If it's just labeled 1A, or 2A, or 2.4A, it'll just max out at whatever the charger can output or the phone can input normally. You could see a phone charge faster between a 1A and 2A charger but it's still not "Fast Charge".

Ah, yes I'm with you.

In speaking with some folks at Anker, they outlined that Qualcomm Quick Charge (aka Samsung Adaptive Charge/Turbo Charge/Fast Charge) allows both the charging voltage and amperage to be varied...this is how it achieves the faster charging. At low charge levels, a higher voltage is used, and this is phased down as the battery charges. The article I referenced above alludes to the same thing.

Some Non-QC chargers have some clever technology that allows the amperage to be maxed out depending on what device its plugged into, but the voltage is always 5v. E.g. Anker's Power IQ or Aukey's AI Power.

They also offer units that have both technologies in the same charging port - so it'll charge QC devices at QC speeds, and non-QC devices @ 5V but at the max amperage the device allows.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm so confused. Will the included charger charge this as fast as possible? If not, can someone link me to what I need from Amazon to charge my 5x as fast as possible?

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

SuperDave479

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
This might be helpful. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tion/accessories_wall?hl=en-US&token=QWHoWd3L

It doesn't say a lot of info about the charger, but according to the page, it's 15w, doesn't say anything about QuickCharge and says it "delivers maximum charge speed to Nexus 5X and 6P".

From the page: "Wattage is optimized for smaller devices, like phones and tablets. Larger devices, like laptops, will take longer to charge. Delivers maximum charge speed to Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. Charge time depends on USB Type-C device. Larger devices, such as the Chromebook Pixel, will typically need more charge time with this adapter (Pixel estimated charge time is 5.6 hours at 15W with system off)."

Last edited:

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know why the 6P charges faster than 5x? I read this somewhere when comparing the 2. The 6p had some insane amount after 15 min charge and the 5x was a small fraction of that.

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
says only 2A for the quick charge port? Isnt the 5X 3A compatible though?

Yeah, good points, and good catch with the Aukey.

The Anker alternative is this (has both QC and Power IQ, but only 1 port):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4722276
It says it has the following output options: 5V - 2.4A/9V - 2A/12V - 1.5A.

This is nothing more than conjecture, but I imagine the 5x page (which says just 5v/3A) isn't telling the whole story, because we know that QC/FastCharge provides varying voltages (that's how the technology works). It would also be a first for me to see a charger/device handle 3A at 5v. Both Anker and Aukey can only provide a max of 2.4A @ 5V (knowledgeable support rep @ Anker confirmed this for me today).

This stuff is confusing!

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know why the 6P charges faster than 5x? I read this somewhere when comparing the 2. The 6p had some insane amount after 15 min charge and the 5x was a small fraction of that.

They charge a percentage of the battery. 50% on the 6P lasts longer than 50% on the 5X. They will quickly charge to 60%.

greenpajamas

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I think I can help with the confusion here (from the way I understand it) - apologies if this is the same information already shared on this thread, but I didn't read it this way:

QuickCharge 2.0 (and all things under this umbrella) is basically a proprietary layer on top of non-USB C connectors to allow the negotiation of higher power throughput (read: more amps!) above the spec the cables/connectors originally allowed for.

Since the 5X and 6P come with USB C connectors, there is no need for this proprietary layer to negotiate higher power throughput as the Type C spec already allows it.

Now don't be confused with USB 2.0 VS 3.X controllers behind the connector, both specs will allow enough current for charging purposes.

So it appears that the 5X/6P will take as much power as they can from the charger they're connected to, with 15W (3A/5V) being the max (or at least recommended by inference of the adapters available from Google). This means that only adapters with USB C connectors will be able to negotiate full power throughput, the phone will not be able to negotiate higher power throughput from QuickCharge compatible ports - at least I don't think should be expected without confirmation that the device is QuickCharge 2.0 compatible (which it could be even with a USB-C connector)

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think I can help with the confusion here (from the way I understand it) - apologies if this is the same information already shared on this thread, but I didn't read it this way:

QuickCharge 2.0 (and all things under this umbrella) is basically a proprietary layer on top of non-USB C connectors to allow the negotiation of higher power throughput (read: more amps!) above the spec the cables/connectors originally allowed for.

Since the 5X and 6P come with USB C connectors, there is no need for this proprietary layer to negotiate higher power throughput as the Type C spec already allows it.

Now don't be confused with USB 2.0 VS 3.X controllers behind the connector, both specs will allow enough current for charging purposes.

So it appears that the 5X/6P will take as much power as they can from the charger they're connected to, with 15W (3A/5V) being the max (or at least recommended by inference of the adapters available from Google).

USB Type-C is only a connector spec though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Type-C

Full-featured USB Type-C cables are active, electronically marked cables that contain a chip with an ID function based on the configuration data channel and vendor-defined messages (VDMs) from the USB Power Delivery 2.0 specification. USB Type-C devices also support power currents of 1.5 A and 3.0 A over the 5 V power bus in addition to baseline 900 mA; devices can either negotiate increased USB current through the configuration line, or they can support the full Power Delivery specification using both BMC-coded configuration line and legacy BFSK-coded VBUS line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#PD

USB Power Delivery[edit]
USB Power Delivery profiles
Profile +5 V +12 V +20 V
1 2.0 A, 10 W [g] N/A N/A
2 1.5 A, 18 W N/A
3 3.0 A, 36 W N/A
4 3.0 A, 60 W
5 5.0 A, 60 W 5.0 A, 100 W
In July 2012, the USB Promoters Group announced the finalization of the USB Power Delivery ("PD") specification, an extension that specifies using certified "PD aware" USB cables with standard USB type A and B connectors to deliver increased power (more than 7.5 W) to devices with larger power demand. Devices can request higher currents and supply voltages from compliant hosts – up to 2 A at 5 V (for a power consumption of up to 10 W), and optionally up to 3 A or 5 A at either 12 V (36 W or 60 W) or 20 V (60 W or 100 W).[97] In all cases, both host-to-device and device-to-host configurations are supported.[98]

The intent is to permit uniformly charging laptops, tablets, USB-powered disks and similarly higher power consumer electronics, as a natural extension of existing European and Chinese mobile telephone charging standards. This may also affect the way electric power used for small devices is transmitted and used in both residential and public buildings.[57][99]

The Power Delivery specification defines six fixed power profiles for the power sources. PD-aware devices implement a flexible power management scheme by interfacing with the power source through a bidirectional data channel and requesting a certain level of electrical power, variable up to 5 A and 20 V depending on supported profile. The power configuration protocol uses a 24 MHz BFSK-coded transmission channel on the VBUS line.

The USB Power Delivery revision 2.0 specification has been released as part of the USB 3.1 suite.[100] It covers the Type-C cable and connector with four power/ground pairs and a separate configuration channel, which now hosts a DC coupled low-frequency BMC-coded data channel that reduces the possibilities for RF interference.[101] Power Delivery protocols have been updated to facilitate Type-C features such as cable ID function, Alternate Mode negotiation, increased VBUS currents, and VCONN-powered accessories.

But the 5X and 6P are USB 2.0 devices.

So.. yeah. I'm still confused.

Is Fast Charge on the 5X and 6P Quick Charge 2.0 compatible?

The 5X ships with this charger: USB Type-C 15W (5V/3A) charger.

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Whilst the explanation 2 posts above is feasible, it doesn't answer the question definitively.

As mentioned previously, Quick Charge 2.0 varies both voltage and current.
Does the 6P/5X also allow this, or does it just allow greater current @ a constant 5V?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie