7 days and this EVO LTE is going back!

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had this phone for a full week now. There is a lot to like about it. But while this is a nice phone, it's shortcomings are growing to be unacceptable!

I bought this phone knowing that there was no ETA on LTE in Chicago, so essentially, I'd be downgrading to a 3G device. I also, bought it knowing about the multitasking shortcomings and the user irreplaceable battery. I figured I'd try it out and see how I liked it.

The multitasking things sucked worse than I thought it would. I don't care what HTC says or what Jerry from AC says. Multitasking is broken on this phone, plain and simple. Then, Google Wallet is not working. I can't even get it activated to see how I liked it. No ETA on a fix, no official acknowledgement of a problem, and not even a story on Android Central about the issue.

Then, there is the fact the my contact Facebook photos are locked and cannot be used by other apps like GoSMS pro, or Handcent. So when I send or receive texts using those apps, their Facebook pics do not show like they do on all other devices. This cannot be fixed without rooting and I'm not doing that.

Finally, there the constant Sense reloads. I have gone from having a phone that reloads Sense twice a month to a having a phone that does it 3 to 5 times daily. This is unacceptable!

I can't keep going through and putting up with the constant disappointments with this phone. They have taken away many of the joys of having an Android phone like the Evo. The best decision Samsung made was to release GS3 phone so close after the release of the Evo LTE. And since Sprint only gives us 14 days to decide if we like a phone, that is HTC's deadline. If I don't see an update that addresses these problems at least partially, I'm taking this back for a refund. I'll just have to go 5 days without a phone until the GS3 comes. At least my phone would be future proofed with 2 gigs of Ram, which seems to be the main issue that the Evo LTE is having.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I like the way this phone looks as well as its UI much better than the GS3. But if I valued looks over functionality, I would have bought an iPhone long ago.

Sorry HTC its been a fun 2 years, but as I'm sure your financial reports are telling you, you guys gotta get your s& #t together.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm feeling similar and agree with some of what your saying specially the sense reloads and the multitasking. For example I'm on a web page hit home and go back to it it reloads all over again. I can't stand that and its something I won't get use to. So what am I going to do?? Gonna take advantage of BB 30 day return policy and check out the s3 plain and simple. I've had all EVO's from launch including this one but like I stated above its problems are making me look elsewhere

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the multi-tasking is a joke ... There is NO WAY anyone would consider this multitasking ... You could have 4 "CARDS" open on WebOS and actually see them all in process of working ... Now THATS multitasking ... I also am not that keen on the way it picks and chooses whether my "recent" apps disappear or not ... The google wallet fiasco is pretty lame also ... Give us a reason why this is happening and what your plan to fix it is ... I WAS excited to utilize this function ... The one thing that keeps me from the Galaxy line is the build quality ... This EVO LTE is the most solid/thinnest phone I have had so far.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I havent had any issue with google wallet. The only problem I heard of is if you rooted and didn't wipe cache in google wallet before hand. In fact I used it the other day at 7-11 with no hiccups. What frustrates me is HTC has not made a statement with the following issues as we all have been stating. I really do like this phone specially the screen which is far above anything Ive personally seen on a smartphone. The s3 is nice too but there colors wash out a bit and can over saturate dark colors. But I guess that's what OLED typically does. Well in about 11 days I will find out how good the s3 really is

JBeansT

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I was able to set up Google Wallet. It wasn't easy and took several tries, but I had to go to "settings" within the app and reset it. A Google csr walked me through it and I was able to use it the next day.:-$

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I was able to set up Google Wallet. It wasn't easy and took several tries, but I had to go to "settings" within the app and reset it. A Google csr walked me through it and I was able to use it the next day.:-$

I have performed the reset in settings several times. It still doesn't work. Can't even get it to add the prepaid card.

JBeansT

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I have performed the reset in settings several times. It still doesn't work. Can't even get it to add the prepaid card.

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried using a WIFI connection while setting it up? Unfortunately, it won't work by relying on the network only. It seems to need speed.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I've only had the phone for a day and I do notice some of the things you're saying. I love so much about the phone, but there are little things that just don't make sense, and the multitasking is definitely one of them.

I was playing a game today and it asked for a referral code several minutes in. I remembered I had seen someone post one in Play, so I pulled up multitasking to go over there and check the code, immediately came back to the game, and the entire app had reloaded and I had to start back from the beginning to get through the tutorial back to the point where it asked for the code. Surely this couldn't be how they intended multitasking to work? I mean that's kind of a joke..

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had this phone for a full week now. There is a lot to like about it. But while this is a nice phone, it's shortcomings are growing to be unacceptable!

I bought this phone knowing that there was no ETA on LTE in Chicago, so essentially, I'd be downgrading to a 3G device. I also, bought it knowing about the multitasking shortcomings and the user irreplaceable battery. I figured I'd try it out and see how I liked it.

The multitasking things sucked worse than I thought it would. I don't care what HTC says or what Jerry from AC says. Multitasking is broken on this phone, plain and simple. Then, Google Wallet is not working. I can't even get it activated to see how I liked it. No ETA on a fix, no official acknowledgement of a problem, and not even a story on Android Central about the issue.

Then, there is the fact the my contact Facebook photos are locked and cannot be used by other apps like GoSMS pro, or Handcent. So when I send or receive texts using those apps, their Facebook pics do not show like they do on all other devices. This cannot be fixed without rooting and I'm not doing that.

Finally, there the constant Sense reloads. I have gone from having a phone that reloads Sense twice a month to a having a phone that does it 3 to 5 times daily. This is unacceptable!

I can't keep going through and putting up with the constant disappointments with this phone. They have taken away many of the joys of having an Android phone like the Evo. The best decision Samsung made was to release GS3 phone so close after the release of the Evo LTE. And since Sprint only gives us 14 days to decide if we like a phone, that is HTC's deadline. If I don't see an update that addresses these problems at least partially, I'm taking this back for a refund. I'll just have to go 5 days without a phone until the GS3 comes. At least my phone would be future proofed with 2 gigs of Ram, which seems to be the main issue that the Evo LTE is having.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I like the way this phone looks as well as its UI much better than the GS3. But if I valued looks over functionality, I would have bought an iPhone long ago.

Sorry HTC its been a fun 2 years, but as I'm sure your financial reports are telling you, you guys gotta get your s& #t together.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

Could you clarify what you specifically mean with the comments about the multitasking. As for the facebook pictures, I don't really see why you'd expect a 3rd party application to sync with a feature that sense has, which itself syncs with Facebook. As far as I know you'd need to either be pointing to locations on local storage for the pictures or to google contact pictures for go sms to be able to grab them. As for the rest of the issues you listed, I haven't experienced any of them. I'm not saying you're wrong about them, just that you may want to consider an exchange rather than a return.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: chesalaam

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Could you clarify what you specifically mean with the comments about the multitasking. As for the facebook pictures, I don't really see why you'd expect a 3rd party application to sync with a feature that sense has, which itself syncs with Facebook. As far as I know you'd need to either be pointing to locations on local storage for the pictures or to google contact pictures for go sms to be able to grab them. As for the rest of the issues you listed, I haven't experienced any of them. I'm not saying you're wrong about them, just that you may want to consider an exchange rather than a return.

Believe me those issues are there and he's not wrong as its built in sense. This must be your first EVO than cause you would understand the changes HTC took.

Reactions: jaescott

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I was about fed up with the Sense reloading until i started using Nova Launcher and that has taken care of the problem. There is no multitasking on this device. Sorry, thats just the way it is. I intend to root and get ride of Sense soon so that should take care of the other issues, but its going to be a problem for a lot of people.,

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

With the multitasking, its an issue that is showing up on all Sense 4.0 phones, including the One X. It seems that instead of the phone actually keeping apps open and doing work in the background or instead of simply holding the app open in a suspended (paused) state, the app reloads and you likely lose what you were working on.

As far as facebook pictures, this functionality worked flawlessly on all previous generations of Evos and Galaxy S phones. The phone syncs your contacts with their facebook picturs unless you manually specify your own picture to use with a specific contact. If I Decided not to use the built in texting app, 3rd party apps could show the synced facebook photo. In this version of Sense, the photos seem to be locked and not accessible by third party apps.

Reactions: dalex7777

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Um, I have none of these problems. Facebook and LinkedIn pictures sure up fine in handcent and other apps. You may not have linked your contacts if you can't see them. Wallet works fine for me. Multitasking isn't great but it's better then my photon. As for the battery, I get 15 to 18 hours a charge. Sorry to see your experience is worse.

Reactions: chesalaam

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I feel like I am in the same boat as you.. I have had it for 7 days and I absolutely love this phone, but the quirks it has is bugging the hell out of me.

The multi-tasking issues are very annoying. The calendar app will not stop syncing with Facebook birthdays, no matter how many times I shut it off, sign out of Facebook, reset all app setting, delete apps, I still get pop up notification of birthdays in my calendar from Facebook. I have tried everything.

The web browser is a major step behind the original eve and is super sluggish and likes to freeze and blink a lot.

I really thing the evo had everything right in gb2.3, but 4.0 has way too many bugs.

The maps, places, and navigation apps all have issues due to poor satalite reception. I actually gave up trying to make them work.

Htc, why would you ever get rid of a hardware menu button that was more than functional and fast at the finger, for a software button at the top where it requires you to actually scroll up a bit to make it visible, and tap it. It actually takes longer. I know it wasn’t to take away space on the bottom of the phone, because you still have buttons down there along with the useless multi task button. MAKE THE MULTITASK BUTTON A MENU BUTTON IN AN UPDATE. Please!!!! I miss your old hardware/ software on the original Evo.

Samsung did it right and kept a hardware button on the bottom of the phone.

You made a gorgeous phone with a gorgeous screen display with whacked out software that has a mind of its own. Please fix these things soon, before you mess up a great thing. You have the great potential to succeed.

Reactions: jaescott

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I was about fed up with the Sense reloading until i started using Nova Launcher and that has taken care of the problem. There is no multitasking on this device. Sorry, thats just the way it is. I intend to root and get ride of Sense soon so that should take care of the other issues, but its going to be a problem for a lot of people.,

If I use a third party launcher, doesn't Sense still run in the background, thereby using more Ram? How exactly does that work?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought this phone knowing that there was no ETA on LTE in Chicago, so essentially, I'd be downgrading to a 3G device.

Let me get this straight - you're complaining about no LTE service for your EVO 4G LTE, and you're going to show how upset you are by returning it and getting a GS3, for which there will also be no LTE service?

If so, I predict another phone return in your near future...

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Let me get this straight - you're complaining about no LTE service for your EVO 4G LTE, and you're going to show how upset you are by returning it and getting a GS3, for which there will also be no LTE service?

If so, I predict another phone return in your near future...

You obviously did not read the post, nor did u understand the reason for that sentence. If you have time, go back, read the post and if you have any questions, we'll talk.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Believe me those issues are there and he's not wrong as its built in sense. This must be your first EVO than cause you would understand the changes HTC took.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali