7 days and this EVO LTE is going back!

abhijit1289

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Just root it and install a custom ROM at xda! That should solve all your issues. Trust me...except for those issues the evo beats the gs3 so badly.....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what games have you completely lost state in when trying to multitask? I just did a quick test with Temple Run and although it does display a splash screen again when you go back into the app it also saved where I was an allowed me to resume. I haven't had any issues with downloads cutting out as far as I know. To be very clear, I don't doubt that these things are happening, I'd just like to be scientific about it and attempt to replicate what's happening to your device.

It's inconsistent in my case. Sometimes I'll be playing Angry Birds Space, get a text, respond to text, and when I come back the game reloads completely from the splash screen. If I'm in the middle of a level, current progress is lost. Other times when I come back, it's right where I left it. I think it's highly dependent on what else you have running in the background.
I don't know if I've subconsciously adjusted how I use the phone, but I'm having a lot less issues with the multitasking than what I had the first week I had the phone. Yesterday on a run, I had music playing, Endomondo running, checked a couple of texts/emails, and didn't have a single issue. I've never had an issue downloading anything (I haven't tried Dropbox though, and that seems to be the program most cite as having the problem).

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Y are u complaining about having to root? Y did u even buy an android phone in the first place? It's based on linux which is what... Open Source software? Which means that developers will often make the best implementations and that will require u to root.

I've rooted every phone that can be rooted and never had an issue with Sprint, best buy, returns, trade-ins, nothing.

I guarantee the GS3 will have at least as many issues as the LTEVO. And guess what? If u don't root the GS3 you're gonna have to wait until Samsung updates it because u won't root. That means the LTEVO will have a fix before Samsung.

So, just go buy an iPhone already. Crying about silly Facebook pics. Facebook is a dieing trend as well as the iPhone. Android will always have a following because it allows u to decide what u want. Rooting is just a part of it all.

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That's just it though...The problem (Sense reloading) isn't fixed. You just put a band aid (Nova) on it.

Tappin' from my SGP 5.0

Well, if it solves the problem its not just a bandaid for me, it's a fix. But that won't help a lot of people who don't know about this forum.

Sense just takes up too much room which is the source of both the reload and the multitasking problem. If you can't live with that and don't want to root, then you should get a different phone.

And the reloading issue has been going on for about a year with Sense depending on the phone and the upgrade where it started. A Google search will pull up many threads, although the ones on HTC's community forums have been deleted it seems. One thread on Sprint forum been complaining about it for a year.

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure they are there on some of the phones, but mine is fine and I refuse to believe that most of them have these issues, especially the reloading sense one, until I see many more threads and some headlines about how the new Evo is super unstable. There's a difference between glitches and issues with every single phone out there.

As for your assumption about this being my first Evo, I upgraded from the original on which I ran Sense 1 (stock), Sense 3.5, and eventually stock ICS. I also happen to have reviewed the Evo 3D last year. I understand the changes that HTC made quite well.
Yeah either your not a power user who is constantly on there phone that would recognise these issues or your just turning your head in disbelief. If there wasn't a issue we wouldn't be having this conversation. These are the facts, multitasking is a joke, HTC reloads are happening so much that I am on nova indefinitely so I can't enjoy sense, web sites blow as they're constantly blinking and downloadinwork keeps dropping which is ok that can be a sprint problem but my gf photon isn't having ts issue etc. I mean I love this phone but in a way it has definitely taken steps back that any software upgrade can't fix. For this reason I'm returning it and yes biting my tongue gonna give the s3 a shot. This is why. For one if im not using sense cuz of the constant reloads I might as well get a phone with stronger internals. Another reason is obvious as there isn't a problem with multitasking on the s3. At this point the only leg up I see with the EVO is the screen is superior to Samsung's pentile matrix which is well ok but under what HTC has to offer. Other than that there's not much in stopping me in giving Sammy a try. Who knows I might come back to the EVO but will give the s3 29 days to turn me over.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw, sense reloads were happening to me multiple times a day when I first bought the phone. Once I cleared the cache, it dropped to once a week our less. I'm not saying that's a fix, only that I did "a" and resulted in "b".

And can sometime explain the contact picture issue because it's simply NOT and issue for me or a friend with an LTEVO. I feel like thus thread should just be another "multitasking is broken" thread. Out certainly is less than ideal and I hope HTC fixes it but it is not adeal killer for me.

Reactions: Technosticrati

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Fwiw, sense reloads were happening to me multiple times a day when I first bought the phone. Once I cleared the cache, it dropped to once a week our less. I'm not saying that's a fix, only that I did "a" and resulted in "b".

And can sometime explain the contact picture issue because it's simply NOT and issue for me or a friend with an LTEVO. I feel like thus thread should just be another "multitasking is broken" thread. Out certainly is less than ideal and I hope HTC fixes it but it is not ideal killer for me.

Mobileschoney

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what the deal is but twice now I have installed GOOGLE Chrome and then my 4g LTE starts with the loading. Once I uninstall chrome, no more loading. I saw this on a forum, maybe here, it does seem to cause the problem.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what the deal is but twice now I have installed GOOGLE Chrome and then my 4g LTE starts with the loading. Once I uninstall chrome, no more loading. I saw this on a forum, maybe here, it does seem to cause the problem.

So wait, are you saying that Chrome may be the problem? Downloading Chrome was one of the first things I did when I got this phone and it is now set as my default browser. Are you saying that unistalling Chrome and going back to the stock browser would fix the reload issue?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Chrome is just one of the worst offenders since it uses a lot memory/resources, but happens with even simplest apps when have enough things open or when memory and caches start to fill up.

Mobileschoney

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I would hate to say it WILL fix it as I am not an Android guru but it seems to fix my issue. I went back to Dolphin Mini as my browser, I like mini better anyway.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
And can sometime explain the contact picture issue because it's simply NOT and issue for me or a friend with an LTEVO.

Ok, with both the Evo 4G and the Evo 3D, I did not use the stock texting app. On the OG EVO, I used the Handcent app and on the Evo 3D, I used GoSMS pro. Both of these apps are superior to the stock texting app and have more features. On those phones, When I open either of those apps, a list of my text conversations appear, along with the photo of each person as long as they had a linked photo in the people app. Whether it was my own photo or a linked Facebook photo, whatever photo that was linked in the people app showed up in any text app I used... As it should be.

On this phone, the pictures only show up on the stock texting app. On 3rd party texting apps like GoSMS pro, the only contacts whose pictures show up are the ones have have pictures that I have linked with my own photo, rather than their Facebook pictures. All of my contacts who have linked Facebook photos will not have their photos show up in 3rd party text apps.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah either your not a power user who is constantly on there phone that would recognise these issues or your just turning your head in disbelief. If there wasn't a issue we wouldn't be having this conversation. These are the facts, multitasking is a joke, HTC reloads are happening so much that I am on nova indefinitely so I can't enjoy sense, web sites blow as they're constantly blinking and downloadinwork keeps dropping which is ok that can be a sprint problem but my gf photon isn't having ts issue etc. I mean I love this phone but in a way it has definitely taken steps back that any software upgrade can't fix. For this reason I'm returning it and yes biting my tongue gonna give the s3 a shot. This is why. For one if im not using sense cuz of the constant reloads I might as well get a phone with stronger internals. Another reason is obvious as there isn't a problem with multitasking on the s3. At this point the only leg up I see with the EVO is the screen is superior to Samsung's pentile matrix which is well ok but under what HTC has to offer. Other than that there's not much in stopping me in giving Sammy a try. Who knows I might come back to the EVO but will give the s3 29 days to turn me over.

I am most certainly a power user, now for the last time... I BELIEVE that these issues are out there, what I don't believe is that they're as bad as described here on ALL devices.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I won't comment much more on the contact pictures since I'm using the stock app and frankly don't have much experience with 3rd party ones, but apparently katmandoo122 got it to work on theirs, might want to look into that to see if you can use whatever method they used.

To answer some of the root related questions that you have though, first off, I think a big reason why the Evo 3D didn't get all that much support was because of the 3D, it apparently made camera drivers a bit hard to work with, especially when trying to port ICS to it. While the ImageSense technology might cause a similar problem I think it will a much faster fix for a few reasons.
1. The Evo 4G LTE has created a much bigger buzz because it's more of a successor to the original, not just an incremental upgrade with 3D thrown in. That means more developer support.
2. There are already at least 6 distinct ROMs on XDA, quite a few mods, a one click root method, and a custom bootloader unlocker. In well under 3 weeks. Many of them are progressing pretty quickly too.
3. It's already running ICS which make drivers less of a problem.
4. Drivers won't matter for Sense ROMs anyway, it would only create a problem (maybe) with stock ICS ROMs.

Now, I think there's a distinction between what the phone was meant to do and what the software it comes with was meant to do. For instance, the phone was meant to create a wi-fi hotspot, it's Sprint that imposes the cost on that if you stay away from rooting. As you've said, the phone was also meant to have true multitasking, it has more than enough system resources to do it, but apparently Sense locks that down a bit. Rooting, in my mind, unlocks the true potential of what the phone was designed to do, not necessarily makes it do things that it isn't supposed to.

From glancing over the XDA threads it looks like on the current build, un-rooting is no harder than rooting at the moment. If there's ever an official OTA you can still get that while rooted, and the update will probably unroot you itself. The apps that use root access don't generally require root access to install, but they will require it (and possibly superuser as well) to actually work as intended. Unrooting won't break the app itself, but you'll no longer be able to use the capabilities you had with it when you were rooted. Again, I think the developer support for this phone will be such so that even if you install an OTA that breaks your root, there will be another root method for the new version quite soon after it rolls out.

Also, I'd bet that fixing the multitasking wouldn't require you to flash a whole new ROM on there, I think it's something more likely to occur as a mod sometime soon.

Oh and somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that Sense stops running in the background (at least after a restart) if you switch to a different launcher).

Thank you for the information! I think I may eventually go the way of rooting but I need to do it with a device that I'm confident I will be sticking with.

Reactions: Judynnnn

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Immediately upon installing it? That's interesting, I've only encountered the bug where the chrome shortcut disappears from the lock screen after being updated. Have you checked to see resource usage when chrome is running with your other apps?

Mobileschoney

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
On the contact photos I have the same issue. If I unsync my facebook contacts then my photos show, if I have a photo on my phone linked to the contact. As soon as I sync facebook contacts my Handcent photos are gone. This behavior does not occur in the stock messaging app.

Last edited:

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the information! I think I may eventually go the way of rooting but I need to do it with a device that I'm confident I will be sticking with.

Glad to supply it! I'd definitely recommend taking a spin by the android development section at xda just to see whether they've cooked up any fixes for your problems before you make a final decision about returning or keeping.

Mobileschoney

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Immediately upon installing it? That's interesting, I've only encountered the bug where the chrome shortcut disappears from the lock screen after being updated. Have you checked to see resource usage when chrome is running with your other apps?

Yes, I as soon as I unistalled. Sorry, I did not check resources and I no longer have it installed.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
U honestly think it's mainly because of chrome sense is reloading? I have chrome and my phone hasn't gone to loading once, nor has it restarted.

It's restarting bc sense is so bloated it hogs system memory. Your answer is rooting and installing a custom Rom that isn't so huge it takes up 90% of usable memory. Then running chrome won't be an issue.

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

jfstx1

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
also not to mention the gs3 will only support 5x5 channels of lte and the evo will support 10x10 when sprint starts the upgrades to nv