Accubattery and wear out cycles,how to properly charge used battery on my Note 10+?

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey friends.

So I got Note 10+ used with pretty bad battery I suppose,I'm geting only 5h 30min SOT which I suppose is bad.
So I want to preserve anyway I can this battery to last me as much as it can.
So I swtiched on power saving,switched on dark theme mode,turned off unnecessary services,and I even turned off fast charging option.
Don't understand this thing with Accubattery and "wear cycles".
App suggested me to charge to 80 % battery.
Judging by the pics does it mean that for health of my battery the best way is to charge it to only 80 %.
I will discharge it no more then 15 % cuz it's Li-Ion.
So please explain me and give proper advices.
Phone info under usage history is reporting me health og only 40.4 % (don't think it's true).

There is no charge count option in same app for some reason.
Screenshot_20210521-085623_AccuBattery.jpg
Screenshot_20210521-085631_AccuBattery.jpg
Screenshot_20210521-085659_AccuBattery.jpg

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I looked at some of the negative reviews on the app store for this and they were long, exhaustive, and thorough. I wouldn't rely on this app...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't understand this thing with Accubattery and "wear cycles".
App suggested me to charge to 80 % battery.
Judging by the pics does it mean that for health of my battery the best way is to charge it to only 80 %.
I will discharge it no more then 15 % cuz it's Li-Ion.
So please explain me and give proper advices.

Li-ion batteries prefer a happy medium in terms of longevity. Charging above 80% and draining below ~30% will accelerate wear and decrease capacity quicker than doing partial charge and discharge cycles. People that routinely exchange their devices often times don't care about overall longevity and just charge to 100% and drain well below 30%. They don't keep the phones long enough to notice the added wear and tear, and sucks to be the next user of said phone. This is a article from one of the companies that actually test this sort of thing.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

That said, it is a balancing act for consumers between overall longevity and time between charges. That compromise is where the 30-80% and similar guidelines comes from.

As for your current battery, your SOT sounds about normal to me, but I can only speak in generalities because I don't have that phone. If that is a low SOT, then there isn't much more you can do short of replacing it. From my experience, once a battery starts going bad, not much will slow down the aging process. Internal resistance builds up, generating more heat, which means more heat related wear and less usable capacity, which means more charge cycles that wear it out more, and it's just a downward spiral.

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Li-ion batteries prefer a happy medium in terms of longevity. Charging above 80% and draining below ~30% will accelerate wear and decrease capacity quicker than doing partial charge and discharge cycles. People that routinely exchange their devices often times don't care about overall longevity and just charge to 100% and drain well below 30%. They don't keep the phones long enough to notice the added wear and tear, and sucks to be the next user of said phone. This is a article from one of the companies that actually test this sort of thing.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

That said, it is a balancing act for consumers between overall longevity and time between charges. That compromise is where the 30-80% and similar guidelines comes from.

As for your current battery, your SOT sounds about normal to me, but I can only speak in generalities because I don't have that phone. If that is a low SOT, then there isn't much more you can do short of replacing it. From my experience, once a battery starts going bad, not much will slow down the aging process. Internal resistance builds up, generating more heat, which means more heat related wear and less usable capacity, which means more charge cycles that wear it out more, and it's just a downward spiral.

How will I know that battery is for replacement since I don't know number of discharge cycles and phone is purchased used?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How will I know that battery is for replacement since I don't know number of discharge cycles and phone is purchased used?
You really can't know for certain and it depends on your usage. Some people only charge once per day. I'm a heavy user, so I charge multiple times per day. For someone only charging once per day, suddenly having to charge 3-4 times per day without changing usage habits would indicate a failing battery. For me, that's normal. So I would just monitor for increased charging needs, and check the health tab of AccuBattery to see what it estimates, and decide from there.

On the other hand, it may be worth considering replacing it sooner, rather than later. Batteries will age while sitting on a shelf. If you wait until the battery is at the end of its life, any "new" battery will likely be old stock and already losing capacity before being installed. Such is the problem of non-standardized battery sizes in phones.

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the phone and wifi that much so I charge every like 2-3 days.
I'm not sure if this 97 % health with AccuBattery is accurate.
Hope it is.