[ACS][ROM] Phoenix ROM 0.2 & EXT Data

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] PhoeniX ROM 0.2

firehak,

Just so I'm clear...coming from stock, installing PhoenixROM using Odin automatically installs CWM as well, correct? It seemed implied in the OP, but I just wanted to make sure before I moved forward with Phoenix.

Based on Shabby's posts, I've been waiting to install CWM, figuring it would be "bundled" with your ROM goodness.

i posted cwm, thats all :p drmlook was the one telling everyone to hold off ;P

anyways 0.2 is cwm flashable youll need to install cwm and then go ahead and flash the zip :)

anon(335536)

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Actually, I believe firehaks zip file (which contains a tar file that neds to be odined first) contains both boot and recovery. firehak had to change shabby's CWM slightly to support ext4. So you can just odin what firehak supplied and get both the new boot,img and the new CWM recovery image (based on shabby's original one). And then install the zip from the SD card. Just follow firehaks directions and you will be good to go.

Shabby - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your CWM image does not have the modules for ext4, or did you change that?

Reactions: firehak

GPOT

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site

No, the file system was ReiserFS Robust File System. By suggestion, I made the switch to ext4 and couldn't be happier with the performance. It's not a huge boost, no, but it does keep my phone running smoothly. I don't have any lag when switching screens and what not, even with low storage space. Things should load a bit faster and stay smooth (so long as your phone supports the app).

Edit: Shabby has corrected me, I simply assumed ReiserFS by the abbreviation. It was "Robust File System" by Samsung, which is no longer even supported. A quick reference can bee seen here: RFS. Note the reference link to Samsung's page no longer exists since it is no longer supported

Edit 2: Hey all, another fun feature for you guys coming soon. I got sd-ext working, meaning MORE SPACE FOR APPS. I'm not quite ready to write you guys a tutorial yet, so sit tight as I work out some kinks. I found some problems (non-major, I promise!) with boot.img which is causing a few tweaks not to run. I also don't know if my phone failing to boot every other boot, then working and mounting my sd-ext is because my SD isn't fast enough, or if this is my error. However, it is working for me nonetheless, and my phone couldn't be more responsive for the budget phone that it is. Now that you've sat through another boring update, here's what you've been waiting for, proof of extra storage

You can add me to the list, I got a good install as well.

And when you get the tutorial up can you PM me so I can try it out. That would be very much appriciated.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Actually, I believe firehaks zip file (which contains a tar file that neds to be odined first) contains both boot and recovery. firehak had to change shabby's CWM slightly to support ext4. So you can just odin what firehak supplied and get both the new boot,img and the new CWM recovery image (based on shabby's original one). And then install the zip from the SD card. Just follow firehaks directions and you will be good to go.

Shabby - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your CWM image does not have the modules for ext4, or did you change that?

Yeah, my download (PhoeniX-ROM.zip) is a zip file containing odin, a tar file with boot.img and cwm5, and and the PhoeniX.zip needed to install the rom from CWM.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

ah ok, and no at this moment it has no ext4 support. it was more of holy crap we got SOMETHING working :D

ext4 support is a breeze iwth kernel source tho. you edit a few lines in the defconfig and tada! ext4 :) no more modules etc

kickassfoo11

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

Hey Firehak,

I tried installing this, and I am still getting stuck at the SPH-M580 screen after wiping data and cache...any suggestions? Thanks!

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I have none other than trying to install again, and if it still doesn't boot, do the data and cache wipes a second time. I'm not sure what would cause issues unless you flashed Shabby's CWM5 and not my included one with an ext4 fix. On top of that, I also had to re-pack boot.img to allow ext4, so if you didn't flash at all or used something else, that's it.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

ok...im aggravated now.

I was gonna flash the rom tonight but for some reason adb will not see my device. My computer has not changed since I flashed the pre rooted version last week or so.

what the hell. Any troubleshooting I can do??

Yes I have all my drivers. Yes my phone is in usb debug mode with USB storage turned off and yes, I've done this before..lol

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes adb gives me trouble too, I just keep toggling it, unplugging and plugging it back in, and rebooting. It eventually works after doing those. Haven't had the issue since switching from stock though

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

Sometimes adb gives me trouble too, I just keep toggling it, unplugging and plugging it back in, and rebooting. It eventually works after doing those. Haven't had the issue since switching from stock though

I'm in. I put the phone in recovery mode, then adb saw it, used adb reboot download and BAM!!!!

I'm sitting in CWM now..Fixing to flash. BBS

Edit: sitting in the browser now and I do like this rom. Very very speedy. With the stock google experience, sorta, I like it a lot. I'm not ..big on custimization. Just like it stock android and I'm good..lol..I'm stoned right now too..lol.

Anyway...nice rom man.

Last edited:

anon(538593)

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

firehak-
I still haven't been successful in getting the custom boot anims to run, despite messing around with various permissions settings (chmod 755,777 and 644) and installing them between /system/media and /data/local. Any suggestions on how to get them working?

It's not really a pressing matter, it's just kind of pleasant to have them.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
firehak-
I still haven't been successful in getting the custom boot anims to run, despite messing around with various permissions settings (chmod 755,777 and 644) and installing them between /system/media and /data/local. Any suggestions on how to get them working?

I like the lack of. Lol is there a way to take the samsung logos out?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

firehak-

I'm sorry, I found out last night that the way I disabled them with Shabby's tweaks actually ignores /system/media/bootanimation.zip. I'll be packing a new flashable boot.img soon to allow them again. I'm having a weird issue where I get my boot animation, but it never leaves the animation even after the phone has loaded. I've watched the logs show every process load up and I never get shown the home screen. I had animations working once back in 0.1 and now I can't get it for the life of me.. :/ With any luck, it's just the way I created the PhoeniX boot screen, I've only tested one. I know I have a working one that I made way back for LeafRom 0.2. I got lazy for Phoenix and only made one frame instead of an animation.

I promise I'm still working for it, no point in releasing a ROM to the community without listening to feedback. I was just more worried over gaining performance and stability that I never really tested it out after disabling them for faster boot times. Didn't want a repeat of the 0.1 release :p Seeing as how I myself own and use a Replenish, I'm not done by far with playing around modding this phone. We've still got more things in store for you guys that we'll get around to showing you once they're ready :)

I like the lack of. Lol is there a way to take the samsung logos out?

There should only be an SPH-M580/samsung screen; The animation and glowing Samsung logo should be gone. I can't remove them any further (that I'm aware of) until compiling Android from source. I'm not sure if I can even do it then, it may be a built-in thing.

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site

Quick question. Can we install a different version of busybox?? I've got busybox installer and its trying to update me to 19.3...that cool??

Also....very fast and love it man. Awesome.

azmedic

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey Firehak,

I tried installing this, and I am still getting stuck at the SPH-M580 screen after wiping data and cache...any suggestions? Thanks!

Are you starting with a rom other than stock? I don't know if it makes a difference but for me I couldn't get it to work coming from a custom rom. I decided to start from "stock" so I flashed the rooted gingerbread odin from firehak's site using the instructions he gives there. From that, I followed the phoenix instructions only adding a data wipe and cache wipe after installing zip from sd. It worked like a charm without any issues. I did the same thing on my wife's phone and it worked on the first try. Maybe I got lucky but that's what worked for me.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Are you starting with a rom other than stock? I don't know if it makes a difference but for me I couldn't get it to work coming from a custom rom. I decided to start from "stock" so I flashed the rooted gingerbread odin from firehak's site using the instructions he gives there. From that, I followed the phoenix instructions only adding a data wipe and cache wipe after installing zip from sd. It worked like a charm without any issues. I did the same thing on my wife's phone and it worked on the first try. Maybe I got lucky but that's what worked for me.

I don't know why starting from stock or a custom rom should matter, but if little tricks like that work then it's worth a shot. I'll admit my installation script needs work, I honestly learned how to make it right before I released it. It'll get cleaned up before the next release.

Reactions: djjavejav

nerdyperdy

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I went from the pre rooted GB odin to phoenix rom with a full whipe in between. Runs speedy as hell. Lol
Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

djjavejav

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to report another successful PhoneixRom install. And so far, battery life seems MUCH improved from stock GB. Thanks firehak!!

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Runs stable here as well. My wife's stock replenish has freezing reboots whereas my replenish with PhoeniX ROM has never had a glitch!

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Rebooted my device today (trying to resolve another issue).

Upon starting up, I got a system update notification.

Is this a legit new system update, or is something screwy happening after the flash to PhoeniX ROM?