After 10 years I switched

bls819522

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
I was also with Apple since the first iPhone came out, I think I left once to a Galaxy at some point but went right back. I did just make the switch from my X to the Note 9. I love the Note 9 so far and I don’t regret making the witch at this point. I think the Note 9 is far above the iPhone X. I haven’t tested the new ones so I cannot comment on them.

Nick Online

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I have been with apple since I got rid of my note 2. The apple features and integration between devices are cool but there's just nothing new. I'm board with iOS even 12 on my iPhone X same icons same layout. iMessage don't use anymore as all other iPhone users I know use whatsApp due to the cross platform messaging.

2nd of November 2018 I will be exchanging my iPhone X and Series 3 watch for a Note 9 512gb and Samsung watch.

Cant wait to Custom home screen again and try Dex and the new s pen.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
10 years with the last 4 being trapped and bored I made the leap after seeing another disappointing delivery from Apple and while I'm admittently in the honeymoon stage of my new 512GB Note 9 I'm just gitty.

What I miss: imessage with everyone I know, no iTunes movie support, and fear of info loss on transfer to a new phone; what I gained so far ABOVE AND BEYOND what I could do on the iPhone X:

1 Terabyte of storage
Removable SD card
Headphone Jack
S-pen Bluetooth stylus
Real central file system
App integration into OS
Notifications ... Insane notifications
Picture in Picture
Real time multitasking - run multiple apps
Custom homescreens
Live wallpaper
Themes, fonts
DEX...DEX...DEX...DEX!!!
Multiple app stores
Manual processor speed changes
Water cooled
Always on display
Splitscreen (Run 2 apps at same time on same screen)
Dude, using a mouse, killer

So far I'm having a blast but will be bombarding the group with questions I can't get from Google...View attachment 291326

ONLY thing I miss is the Imessage! I think Apple hit it out of the park with Imessage. I really wish they'd release it as an app for Android. I would definitely pay for it.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I believe, and I could be wrong, that Verizon message+ can be used across different devices as well. I am unsure if you have to be a Verizon customer to use it or not. Worth looking into

SkydiverTilt

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
I believe, and I could be wrong, that Verizon message+ can be used across different devices as well. I am unsure if you have to be a Verizon customer to use it or not. Worth looking into
It's not so much the issue with finding a replacement. Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, and snapchat are all crossplatform and are common enough to be in everyones phones easily. but getting them off imessage is the hard part. imessage is just integrated into everyones lives it is hard to move people to a different platform.

but again, small price to pay for all the bonues i get (responding on DEX currently...yay!!!)

CapScarlet

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Welcome aboard! I started a year ago with the Note8 after being an iPhone user for 9 years. Even after upgrading to the Note9...I still haven't looked back! I have a good feeling you won't be looking back either! You'll love the flexibility and customizing this universe has to offer! And if you have a large iTunes library you'd like to listen to on your Note you can use "iSyncr" to import your music. IMO this is the best community for Android users, AC has been very helpful when I came aboard a year ago! Hope you continue to enjoy this phenomenal tech from Samsung! Peace!

Last edited:

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
What is so special about iMessages? What does it do that an Android text messaging app doesn't? I've seen this for years...people not wanting to leave Apple because of iMessages.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What is so special about iMessages? What does it do that an Android text messaging app doesn't? I've seen this for years...people not wanting to leave Apple because of iMessages.

Mainly high-res videos and such. If I send a video via iMessage to another iPhone it shows up in HD as is very useable versus texts that go through carriers it looks like crap due to compression.

Also for some security conscious people -- iMessage is end-to-end encrypted so only those two have access to it.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

It shares larger photo and video files without compression to other Iphone users. It has built in games. It's just an overall more seamless messaging application.

danicrit

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
I created an account just to respond to this - I never post on forums! I think your selfies made you seem more personal/approachable :) And your positive attitude... I really want to support you, so many iPhone switchers give up too quickly/easily and miss out on all that Android phones can offer.

I spontaneously switched from the X to the Note 9 on release day. Whenever I switch back to Android, I use Textra for messaging. You can download and install the iOS emojis within Textra settings (which I think works across apps, not just in Textra, but I'm also using SwiftKey keyboard so I don't know how much of a factor that is) and also set it to send all messages over 160 characters as MMS instead of SMS so they're not broken up into smaller texts (so my long texts are all one long text, just like in iMessage). This way my texts look and feel more like iMessage (on both sides), except your texts are green instead of blue on their end.

FaceTime (even though no one ever uses it with me) and iMessage were always the main reason I went back to an iPhone, since all my friends and family have iPhones. But I'm really getting so much more from/out of the Note 9 (I returned the Note 8 for the X). The only area where Textra won't help is with pics/videos, those will still be somewhat compressed when sent between your Note 9 and iPhones. If your friends/family have Facebook Messenger (or WhatsApp, but I think more people have Messenger and I like it better--also has more of an iMessage feel), you can just use that when sending media. But honestly, the pictures between my Note and my husband's iPhone 7 have been fine.

I haven't tried DEX yet but your excitement inspires me to try it soon!

Jaskaran Bhatia7

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Don't worry there was time when BB messenger was integrated into everyone's life and nobody knows about it now. Although Imessage is really good I believe Google will make android message better and more competitive soon .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mainly high-res videos and such. If I send a video via iMessage to another iPhone it shows up in HD as is very useable versus texts that go through carriers it looks like crap due to compression.

Also for some security conscious people -- iMessage is end-to-end encrypted so only those two have access to it.

You can do that with WhatsApp?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much everyone I know is using that app , just look at your contact list in WhatsApp and you'll see everyone who's on it

Yeah not happening. I literally know everyone I talk to doesn't even know what "WhatsApp" is. The reason iMessage is successful is due to it being built in by default -- even novices are using it and not having to do anything extra then text a friend like they are used to.

For everything on iPhone there are other apps that have been able to do it -- the key thing is Apple does it by default and therefore makes it super easy for the user to engage without thinking on doing it or requiring all their friends go download something to do it. That is why I have always said Google should make their own iMessage and dump their other 40 messaging apps. Make it a default in Android and it will catch on like iMessage since it will look like normal texting to most users.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah not happening. I literally know everyone I talk to doesn't even know what "WhatsApp" is. The reason iMessage is successful is due to it being built in by default -- even novices are using it and not having to do anything extra then text a friend like they are used to.

For everything on iPhone there are other apps that have been able to do it -- the key thing is Apple does it by default and therefore makes it super easy for the user to engage without thinking on doing it or requiring all their friends go download something to do it. That is why I have always said Google should make their own iMessage and dump their other 40 messaging apps. Make it a default in Android and it will catch on like iMessage since it will look like normal texting to most users.

I agree on Google doing that , dont know why its a problem for them . Maybe it's something to do with carriers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree on Google doing that , dont know why its a problem for them . Maybe it's something to do with carriers.

TBH it shouldn't if they made it default within Android. Sure modifications can be made by others like other parts of Android but if they really wanted to get it required they could. Apple didn't go to carriers for approval to do iMessage just like WhatsApp didn't.