Airplane mode

brand_x

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
This is really one of the most ridiculous threads I have read. The OP wants to know if there is a way to turn off the prompts. As a new S3 user, I have the same issue - I don't need the phone to confirm that I actually want to do everything I am trying to do. The responses saying "what you are trying to do is not the best way to do it, you should do this instead" are not helpful and don't address the question being asked. I want an answer to the disabling confirmation prompts. I don't care if using airplane mode at night, or while at the gym, doesn't make sense to you.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
This is really one of the most ridiculous threads I have read. The OP wants to know if there is a way to turn off the prompts. As a new S3 user, I have the same issue - I don't need the phone to confirm that I actually want to do everything I am trying to do. The responses saying "what you are trying to do is not the best way to do it, you should do this instead" are not helpful and don't address the question being asked. I want an answer to the disabling confirmation prompts. I don't care if using airplane mode at night, or while at the gym, doesn't make sense to you.
So you'd rather the answer be, "You can't, it sucks to be you," rather than, "You can't, but try this method instead"?

brand_x

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
If the responses were "you can't turn off confirmation prompts, but you can do this instead" it would be one thing, but almost all the prompts were along the lines of "I don't know why you would use airplane mode for what you are trying to do." Those responses are not helpful.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think you are using the wrong approach for those kind of activities ..........movies and school, put your phone in vibration or silent.........saving battery.....use the setting that comes with the phone (power saving mode).....or just turn the radio off............... airplane mode was meant for flying ............ maybe you are trying to use it as one time deal in order to shut everything off...... I would turn my phone off and not worry about............I don't think there is a way to by pass ok.....and ok ....and ok...........

Airplane mode is recommended for flying because it turns off all redio signals coming to and from the phone. These radio signals, when they are trying to find coverage in low coverage areas, zap a LOT of battery from the device. This is similar to when you are in a subway, or in a tunnel, or below ground in any way. Why not use airplane mode to turn off radio? I think it is you who is using the wrong approach to this feature. It's great in a LOT of situations.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree not all of the responses are worded the most tactfully, but they are helpful. Why spend a bunch of time looking for a solution to a problem you don't even need to have?

megahurtz78

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
lynn02...this time I really really really found the solution. But only for rooted phones, mind you. (I know that U prefer not to root ur phone but all my Android devices are rooted...no harm in doing so...just saying). I installed "[root] JB 4.2 Airplane Mode" by Dāvis Mosenkovs. It works and my "Crew Roster Minder" application automatically switch to Flight Mode before each flight. You can get list of supported apps in the "Information" section. Official App forum : [APP][4.2] Jelly Bean 4.2 Airplane Mode Helper (v1.1.8) - Page 6 - xda-developers

garublador...it's exactly the solution to a problem I have. I'm a flight steward/cabin crew and I use Flight Mode almost every day.

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
There is an app called Airplane Mode TIMED FREE by GioBarba that I use. I Check it out. You can set it to turn airplane mode off at a certain time.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Since rooting is out of the question for the OP, the prompt cannot be disabled and you should probably send the recommendation to Samsung for an update.

lynn02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Since rooting is out of the question for the OP, the prompt cannot be disabled and you should probably send the recommendation to Samsung for an update.
I've never rooted either of my phones. I really don't need an expensive brick sitting on my desk. If I felt more comfortable, I'd root it.

TheOnlyRick

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It was really only Fantom305 that went down the route of:
Don't use flight mode. Instead you can simply switch the phone off, or pull the battery out or wrap it in tin foil, or email and text all your friends telling them you'll be incommunicado for a bit.

The only bit that demonstrated he had read what Lynn asked was at the end of his second post, when he said that he didn't think it could be done.

Anyway, this flight mode confirmation thing also bugs me. I don't wanna lose my warranty, but for this and a couple of other reasons, I might end up rooting my phone.

Fun Salad

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been checking this topic a few times over the past 6 months or so, & I'm quite surprised that no one has yet offered a fix/hack/mod/solution to this problem (even for a rooted phone).

So without even touching on the pointless debate of whether airplane mode should be used or not, I just want to nicely ask the original question again: if anyone out there has a genuine solution to disable the popup dialog box when toggling airplane mode it would be extremely helpful for those many of us that use it daily (accessed from the notification toggle buttons).

Ps: my S3 phone is rooted (I'm using Omega ROM JB 4.3) & I'm very open to a hack/mod solution.

Pps: please don't waste everyone's time with telling us how we should our phones. I'm sure it feels good to get on a high-horse and criticize how wrong we are and how right your method is... but do try to resist the urge. The fact is everyone has different needs and uses their devices differently to suit their own needs.

TutorPros1

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Joe,
You know at least 100 times more than I do about these gadgets.
This will be a slightly long message, but I just wanted to give you a little background, so that you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Please help me with a pressing issue...For the past 18 months, when people called me, a few of them complained that it was easily 10 rings before they got voice mail.
I didn't give it a second thought because my business was new, and I didn't get a lot of calls.
Now, I'm seeing many more calls, yet no voice mail messages. And they are local calls, which are the people I cater to.
I have a Samsung Galaxy (I want to say Torch), but I'm not exactly sure. It is 3G, though.
So I read a bunch of forums about the subject, and I got the impression that the only way to adjust the feature was to call the carrier (in my case Boost Mobile.)
I called 1 week ago, and the first person who answered the phone said that the default time before going to voice mail was 20 seconds. He asked me what I'd like to adjust it to (10 secs, 5 secs, etc.)
I said let's try 10 secs, and I can always decrease it more if 10 secs is too long. He said fine and told me that it will start to work after 2 or 3 hours.
I waited 6 hours, checked the line, and it was substantially quicker before going to voice mail.
Today, I decided that that 10 secs is still too long (probably because I forward my business line to my Galaxy, so I'm guessing that the forwarding process adds a ring or 2).
I called the same Boost support number, and the guy who answered said that there was no way to adjust the time.
I asked to speak with the supervisor, and he said that there was no way to adjust the time.
I told him that I had adjusted it a week ago, the supervisor found the record of my call and the person who I talked to, but said that he had no way of reaching him.
He said that he would call me back in a couple of hours with (hopefully) a solution.
I figured I'd check out the forums again, in the meantime.
Then, by luck, I ran across a thread pertaining to "airplane mode". I have no idea what "airplane mode" is, nor do I care what it is.
But, someone mentioned that if "airplane mode" is activated, it sends calls directly to voice mail.
Is that true, and if so, how do I activate it properly? Does WiFi (whatever that is) have to be on or off? If I keep my phone is on "airplane mode", will it drain the battery excessively?
I would rather the calls go directly to voice mail, than to have people hang up before they reach my voice mail. That makes sense, right?

Thank You,
Daniel.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Joe,
You know at least 100 times more than I do about these gadgets.
This will be a slightly long message, but I just wanted to give you a little background, so that you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Please help me with a pressing issue...For the past 18 months, when people called me, a few of them complained that it was easily 10 rings before they got voice mail.
I didn't give it a second thought because my business was new, and I didn't get a lot of calls.
Now, I'm seeing many more calls, yet no voice mail messages. And they are local calls, which are the people I cater to.
I have a Samsung Galaxy (I want to say Torch), but I'm not exactly sure. It is 3G, though.
So I read a bunch of forums about the subject, and I got the impression that the only way to adjust the feature was to call the carrier (in my case Boost Mobile.)
I called 1 week ago, and the first person who answered the phone said that the default time before going to voice mail was 20 seconds. He asked me what I'd like to adjust it to (10 secs, 5 secs, etc.)
I said let's try 10 secs, and I can always decrease it more if 10 secs is too long. He said fine and told me that it will start to work after 2 or 3 hours.
I waited 6 hours, checked the line, and it was substantially quicker before going to voice mail.
Today, I decided that that 10 secs is still too long (probably because I forward my business line to my Galaxy, so I'm guessing that the forwarding process adds a ring or 2).
I called the same Boost support number, and the guy who answered said that there was no way to adjust the time.
I asked to speak with the supervisor, and he said that there was no way to adjust the time.
I told him that I had adjusted it a week ago, the supervisor found the record of my call and the person who I talked to, but said that he had no way of reaching him.
He said that he would call me back in a couple of hours with (hopefully) a solution.
I figured I'd check out the forums again, in the meantime.
Then, by luck, I ran across a thread pertaining to "airplane mode". I have no idea what "airplane mode" is, nor do I care what it is.
But, someone mentioned that if "airplane mode" is activated, it sends calls directly to voice mail.
Is that true, and if so, how do I activate it properly? Does WiFi (whatever that is) have to be on or off? If I keep my phone is on "airplane mode", will it drain the battery excessively?
I would rather the calls go directly to voice mail, than to have people hang up before they reach my voice mail. That makes sense, right?

Thank You,
Daniel.

Hey Daniel,

I understand what you're saying. You want the calls to go directly to voicemail without having the opportunities to answer the calls? If this is what you want, then you can definitely turn your phone to Flight Mode. This is easily done through the settings menu. It would help me if I knew your phone model so I could be of more assistance to you.

Flight Mode does not drain your battery excessively, as a matter of fact it will preserve your battery length and allow it to last longer because it is not sending and receiving a signal. The downside is, if you have Flight Mode activated, you cannot make calls or use the internet in any way, because it prevents all incoming or outgoing connections.

This is all assuming you don't want to answer any calls and want them to go directly to your voicemail. If this is what you want, then I would suggest this is the way to go.

Hopefully I have been helpful! Let me know if you need some more clarification.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Daniel,

Unconditional call forward (forward all calls) would achieve the same thing and still be able to receive text messages which you won't get if you use airplane mode.

The GSM code would be
*21*phonenumber#
Other types might be different--here's a list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_forwarding

I don't see what carrier you're on but for GSM the user can change the ring time used for conditional forwarding--you don't have to go thru CS. The GSM code would be

*61*phonenumber**15#
That would forward to phonenumber after 15 seconds. You can specify from 5 to 30 in increments of 5.

All described in the above link. The call forwarding can also be done via phone settings but not the delay. Also several apps in play store.

Ki T

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
MAybe this is a little late. But I think CynogenMod on my S3 doesnt have the notification.
Because I just switched to LG G3 & it now bugs me quite a bit. Still looking for a G3 solution.

trevorpetrie

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I for one would definitely prefer the response "You can't, it sucks to be you". I would have moved on to my next google search term, instead of wasting 20 minutes reading pointless OPINIONS rather than ANSWERS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware