All these new Verizon updates are bricking my Note 8!

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I got the first October security update a couple days ago my phone has been randomly shutting off & not turning on especially when I wake up after charging it all night. It sits there on the blank screen and none of the buttons work or are responsive. I try all the methods I can to get it on until safe mode or wipe cache partition comes up. I've never seen this on any Android phone and I've been with them for 10 plus years. The lame thing is my phone was working perfectly & flawlessly before any of these security updates... 😕

Big Red just got another update today for the November security patch and I thought it would fix it hopefully the bugs with it but my phone just did the random death again right now so I'm making this thread. Is anyone else experiencing problems like this or anything else?

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Dang. Sorry to here that. Maybe call Verizon? Both mine and my fiance note8 work as good as they did before both updates. Hope you get it worked out.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Ever since I got the first October security update a couple days ago my phone has been randomly shutting off & not turning on especially when I wake up after charging it all night. It sits there on the blank screen and none of the buttons work or are responsive. I try all the methods I can to get it on until safe mode or wipe cache partition comes up. I've never seen this on any Android phone and I've been with them for 10 plus years. The lame thing is my phone was working perfectly & flawlessly before any of these security updates...

Big Red just got another update today for the November security patch and I thought it would fix it hopefully the bugs with it but my phone just did the random death again right now so I'm making this thread. Is anyone else experiencing problems like this or anything else?
I would definitely go to Verizon and get this taken care of. Updates shouldn't make your phone unusableike that.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Did you forget to re-enable any disabled stock apps BEFORE installing the update(s)? If so, that's probably the culprit. The only way to fix that would be a factory reset.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you forget to re-enable any disabled stock apps BEFORE installing the update(s)? If so, that's probably the culprit. The only way to fix that would be a factory reset.

when it does the install aren't all the apps then inactive and in the normal states? I would think Android/Sammy would have full control and then install OVER anything that exists while it's in the install state, thereby eliminating the need to do that.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...up-aod-screen-while-charging.html#post6092383

Started happening recently and only thing I can think of was the October update too. Maybe same thing?Before that it’s been flawless for about two months. I was hoping to see if November update might fix but guess not. I’ll see if it happens more before doing a reset but I think it’s more software issue than hardware.

Ever since I got the first October security update a couple days ago my phone has been randomly shutting off & not turning on especially when I wake up after charging it all night. It sits there on the blank screen and none of the buttons work or are responsive. I try all the methods I can to get it on until safe mode or wipe cache partition comes up. I've never seen this on any Android phone and I've been with them for 10 plus years. The lame thing is my phone was working perfectly & flawlessly before any of these security updates... ??????

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
@mxrider821... do you by chance have quick charging disabled??

Was just thinking about it and like I said my phone had been flawless for 2 months til the update but just realized something that might differentiate me from others is that I’ve disabled fast charging on my phone a while back. I imagine most haven’t and may be a reach but my only issue is charging related so thinking what could conflict it.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
@mxrider821... do you by chance have quick charging disabled??

Was just thinking about it and like I said my phone had been flawless for 2 months til the update but just realized something that might differentiate me from others is that I’ve disabled fast charging on my phone a while back. I imagine most haven’t and may be a reach but my only issue is charging related so thinking what could conflict it.

I have fast wireless charging enabled and never was touched it since day one.. and it's still turned on right now

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
No issues here, and I've taken the updates. It took a couple of days for the first one to settle down, as far as battery life. But the one I took yesterday did not seem to impact the phone in any way I've noticed. Battery life was still excellent yesterday after the update.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Probably a good time for a full Smart Switch backup, and ensure stuff that you care about on the phone is also synced to cloud (if you use that). In either case, always backup anything you care about before a factory reset or taking in for service.

sp44

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem this morning. Just dead til I did a reset. Never had an Android phone do this. I didn't touch any settings either. At least anything that might make it go wonky. I might take it back it and go Pixel XL. Stupid Verizon!

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
when it does the install aren't all the apps then inactive and in the normal states? I would think Android/Sammy would have full control and then install OVER anything that exists while it's in the install state, thereby eliminating the need to do that.
Not that I know of. I had read several times over the last 8-10 years that if you have any disabled apps, to re-enable them first before any updates, so that is what I do without fail, because as a result of some people not re-enabling the stock apps, they've had issues like the OP.

My update process is to backup my phone with My backup Pro, re-enable every single app I've disabled, either with BK Disabler or otherwise, perform a cache partition wipe, download and install the update, wipe the cache partition again, then disable everything I want disabled. Never had one single issue with updates over the last 8-10 years using stock Android (knock on wood), doing them the way I've just outlined.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I had read several times over the last 8-10 years that if you have any disabled apps, to re-enable them first before any updates, so that is what I do without fail, because as a result of some people not re-enabling the stock apps, they've had issues like the O

I had heard that too and was always rooted and not doing updates. if you didn't enable them for the update, how is a FR going to help? is there a way to reinstall the update?

I forgot because I never take updates, and things are fine overall except for a reduced signal. no way I want to do a FR when all else is fine.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem this morning. Just dead til I did a reset. Never had an Android phone do this. I didn't touch any settings either. At least anything that might make it go wonky. I might take it back it and go Pixel XL. Stupid Verizon!

Well I guess I'm not the only one that it's happening too because it just happened to me again this morning as well.. This sux