Am I alone thinking that the LG G6 doesn't get enough coverage?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Right, 32 GB Base is only a problem when that's the only option available. And not offering an SD slot, IMO, is a good thing so long as you are offering sufficient storage options, such as 64, 128 or 256 GB.

Sorry, Im not seeing it as a problem at all and if thats what keeps the phone substantially cheaper then Im all for it.

Im not sure how people are filling 32gb of storage considering my 63 apps are taking up exactly 4.76gb. I could put on another 200 apps before I ever had an issue. Would 64gb be nice? Sure. Would I use it, nope. Does it justify paying substantially more? Nope.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, Im not seeing it as a problem at all and if thats what keeps the phone substantially cheaper then Im all for it.

Im not sure how people are filling 32gb of storage considering my 63 apps are taking up exactly 4.76gb. I could put on another 200 apps before I ever had an issue. Would 64gb be nice? Sure. Would I use it, nope. Does it justify paying substantially more? Nope.

Photos and videos can quickly take up a ton of space, some people download music, books, even movies for when they'll be in a place without a signal or if they're still on a metered data plan. I'm only using 17.88 GB on my Pixel XL right now and another 7.32 GB on my Nexus 6P, but I also have free unlimited full res photo backup, etc. and so don't have to store things on my phone long term.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Photos and videos can quickly take up a ton of space, some people download music, books, even movies for when they'll be in a place without a signal or if they're still on a metered data plan. I'm only using 17.88 GB on my Pixel XL right now and another 7.32 GB on my Nexus 6P, but I also have free unlimited full res photo backup, etc. and so don't have to store things on my phone long term.

And right there shows the value of an sd card and why the G6 is perfectly fine at 32gb. Ive got 83gb of music and god knows how many photos at my fingertips with 40gb left for movies etc. And total cost to have all that storage with the phone was $545. Still substantially cheaper than even an S8. Even on your 2 phones you arent having an issue with 32gb.

With sd cards, cloud storage etc its not necessary to have 64gb.

Im in no way limited by 32gb and still carry around more data than the average person.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad OEMs are offering more storage options, and LG needs to do the same. Not everyone uses their phones the same way, and to have a larger storage option for videos and photos (and my GOD, 4K) is just convenient for customers. SD cards are great, but not an excuse not to offer other options.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Most don't just store apps. They store files.. media specifically.. to their phone.

An example below of my SD card :).
1312e522d19cb702a74e025098b14b1a.jpg

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That example is precisely my point. 64 is unnecessary for the majority of people, with the addition of an SD card.

Even when you have 64gb you're still only using 20gb and the remainder is in your SD card. Therefore, 32gb is all you need.

I disagree on that is all I need. Just because I am not using it all this very second that justifies having only 32 as needed? Ehh .. no.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That example is precisely my point. 64 is unnecessary for the majority of people, with the addition of an SD card.

Even when you have 64gb you're still only using 20gb and the remainder is in your SD card. Therefore, 32gb is all you need.

But the choices aren't 32 + SD or 64 or more without an SD slot. False choice. You can have 64 or more with or without an SD slot. For a lot of users, the SD slot is totally irrelevant, for some it's a needed feature and for some it's a fault. For me personally, the internal number is the only number that could possibly matter, because the SD slot represents a security, performance and stability compromise that is just completely unacceptable when internal storage is still an option that's just being neglected by some OEM's. Offering multiple versions is one way to go about it, Apple, Google, Moto, etc go that way. Samsung just gives one option, but it's more than the bare minimum, so that's ok too.

There's no scenario where it would be ok with me to offer less internal storage than normal just because an SD slot exists. The SD slot is not an acceptable replacement for internal storage by any stretch of the imagination. So, with that in mind, in order to compare apples to apples, the SD slot needs to be ignored. Then it comes to Apple, Moto, Google, Samsung, ZTE, HTC, OnePlus, etc, etc. all offering either more than 32 base or 32 base with higher storage options for consumers who need it. LG did it too for the V20, but then suddenly cheaped out on the LG G6. That's why there's a complaint - the SD card does not add value in this equation when you're comparing internal only to internal only.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I disagree on that is all I need. Just because I am not using it all this very second that justifies having only 32 as needed? Ehh .. no.
Based on everything you've shown it appears blatantly obvious that 32gb is more than enough for not only most people but also you.

If someone wants to pay an extra $250 for storage they are likely to never use with the addition of an SD card then by all means do so. To keep knocking the G6 for having 32gb, which as you have shown is plenty due to the ability to add a SD card, seems pointless. Especially considering the substantial cost savings.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Based on everything you've shown it appears blatantly obvious that 32gb is more than enough for not only most people but also you.

Again just because I am not using it now doesn't mean 32 GB is enough lol. That is like telling someone they only use 50 GB of hard drive space so don't buy a 250 GB .. As if they won't ever download or install anything else. Makes no sense :p.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I love that LG did a promo a few years back for a 120gb sd card. I still use. I personally don't care about on-board storage because I NEVER save anything on there, besides the app cache. That makes it extremely easy for me to swap out devices, never lose any pics (which are also backed up on cloud) also, LGs Smart Cleaning notification helps me keep it clean.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Again just because I am not using it now doesn't mean 32 GB is enough lol. That is like telling someone they only use 50 GB of hard drive space so don't buy a 250 GB .. As if they won't ever download or install anything else. Makes no sense :p.
So do you buy a car because it can go 250mph even though it's substantially more and you will never go that speed?

Same logic applies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Seems like some just don't get that people can have differing use cases and differing requirements from their devices. 32 GB is fine as a base option, as long as a larger option exists. 3 years ago, 16 GB was more or less fine as a base option, etc. That amount is continuing to grow as the technology to implement it becomes cheaper. LG I'm sure has reasons they went with 32 in our market and it probably does have to do with analyzing how people used the G5, G4, etc. But how people have previously used devices with similar limitations is not necessarily indicative of how they would use future devices that didn't have those limitations. You as an example, you were fine with a 128 GB internal only without an SD card and now that you don't have that, you're basically getting 128 GB total out of two separate storage options. Given the choice between 128 split in half with two different locations, write/read speeds, etc. and 128 internal, 128 internal is the obvious winner.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So do you buy a car because it can go 250mph even though it's substantially more and you will never go that speed?

Same logic applies.

We can definitely just agree to disagree.. but I am telling you for my needs 32 GB isn't enough. The phone is only 2 weeks old and I have used 20 so that would be 20 / 32 .. in 2 weeks .. yeah I will leave it at that :).

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Seems like some just don't get that people can have differing use cases and differing requirements from their devices. 32 GB is fine as a base option, as long as a larger option exists. 3 years ago, 16 GB was more or less fine as a base option, etc. That amount is continuing to grow as the technology to implement it becomes cheaper. LG I'm sure has reasons they went with 32 in our market and it probably does have to do with analyzing how people used the G5, G4, etc. But how people have previously used devices with similar limitations is not necessarily indicative of how they would use future devices that didn't have those limitations. You as an example, you were fine with a 128 GB internal only without an SD card and now that you don't have that, you're basically getting 128 GB total out of two separate storage options. Given the choice between 128 split in half with two different locations, write/read speeds, etc. and 128 internal, 128 internal is the obvious winner.
That wasn't the issue at all. I made it pretty clear that comparing a $750 64gb phone to a $500 32gb phone was pointless. 32gb is fine for the majority of users and why the 32gb iPhone is the highest sold.

Sure some people want 64gb. No problem, go buy it. But don't knock the G6 for 32gb when it is more than enough for the majority at a fraction of the cost.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Same logic applies.

Absolutely not the same logic. The top speed is not the only metric by which an engine, etc. is measured. A vehicle that can reliably perform at 250 mph, is also probably pretty adept at performing amazingly in day to day speeds, with a lot more power, etc.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
We can definitely just agree to disagree.. but I am telling you for my needs 32 GB isn't enough. The phone is only 2 weeks old and I have used 20 so that would be 20 / 32 .. in 2 weeks .. yeah I will leave it at that :).
And you probably put on every app you had on your previous phone. It's not like you loaded it with 20gb of new apps you never had.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Absolutely not the same logic. The top speed is not the only metric by which an engine, etc. is measured. A vehicle that can reliably perform at 250 mph, is also probably pretty adept at performing amazingly in day to day speeds, with a lot more power, etc.
And a hard drive that is only 50gb will perform the same as a 250gb drive that you only use 30gb of space for.

Same logic.

We aren't talking about performance at all here. We're talking about need vs want.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
And you probably put on every app you had on your previous phone. It's not like you loaded it with 20gb of new apps you never had.

Media my friend.

But as I said we can just agree to disagree but please don't sit and dictate to me on what I need as if you know more then what I know about .. well myself and my uses :).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That wasn't the issue at all. I made it pretty clear that comparing a $750 64gb phone to a $500 32gb phone was pointless. 32gb is fine for the majority of users and why the 32gb iPhone is the highest sold.

Sure some people want 64gb. No problem, go buy it. But don't knock the G6 for 32gb when it is more than enough for the majority at a fraction of the cost.

Just looking at Verizon's prices. A $672 32 GB vs a $756 64 GB device? 32 GB more storage for $75? + a better processor, better camera, better display, etc included in the same $75? Yes. Every day of the week, yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danilechadwick