Am I missing something about the Huawei P20 Pro?

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
This is NOT meant as a bash the Huawei P20 Pro thread. I have a Huawei Media Pad 3 as a tablet, so it’s not like I don’t like their products/company.

I’m curious as to what I might be missing when I researched the phone.

So… why on this planet are folks considering trading in their Note 9 for the Huawei P20 Pro?

It is just a bit over half the price of the Note 9, so I TOTALLY get that as a valid reason to buy one… but this question/thread is more geared towards those whom I’ve seen in these forums who HAVE a Note 9 already and are considering trading it in for the P20.

The P20 has a smaller screen, (this might be a “like” for many, so I get that)

Lower PPI despite being a smaller screen because it has a …

Lower resolution

Lower IP rating, (67 vs 68)

No SD Card slot

No headphone jack

Smaller top end storage capacity, (256 vs 512)

The camera hardware may be better, triple camera, etc… but pic quality may not be… or it may be. Oftentimes this is subjective to some degree 😊

It has that ugly notch, (to me this is a con, I can see where others might like it, but most Note 9 folks seem to NOT like it based on what I’ve read in these forums). I know you can “hide” it, but then you have a big ugly top bezel.

I guess if the camera is truly better, and taking better pics, and the camera is your number one, who cares about anything else, criteria… I get that too.

Again, not trying to bash or insult anyone… I’m genuinely curious.

Personally, I love my Note 9 and it’s probably the only phone I’ve ever owned that I’ll keep for a couple of years. The Note 10 would have to come out with something AMAZING, (to me in display FPS is NOT a big deal and would not get me to “jump ship”), to get me to jump to it next year… I like the Note 9 that much.

Visc

May 23, 2015
Visit site
The p20 pro is a great phone. Its pictures can be amazing. I find the camera to be very inconsistent. I would probably trade my p20 in for a note, not the other way around.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have both because I'm addicted. Please help me. LOL The Pro is my sixth upgrade this year alone.

I don't really pay attention to specs. I'm more about the Design and Features like when I'm shopping for my next vehicle.

I got the Pro because of the IR Blaster and Twilight. It helps my carrier gave me a decent deal.

Specs, including the Camera which I do not get why people are so obsessed with it IMO is over rated, seems to be more about bragging rights. I say this because I'm setting up my Mother's Samsung A8 that I got for her birthday and for the life of me I cannot tell the difference with my two flagship.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If there were every a recall on Notes again ( Don't see why there would be) I'd probably go with a Huawei and a Porsche edition and go all out. They make some really good phones over in Asia. No way I would go to cRapple or LG again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If there were every a recall on Notes again ( Don't see why there would be) I'd probably go with a Huawei and a Porsche edition and go all out. They make some really good phones over in Asia. No way I would go to cRapple or LG again.

They do make some beautiful phones

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I owned the Mate 9 for close to two years. simply loved it, hands down best phone and longest phone ive ever owned. it was big/fast and that camera took what seemed like great shots, everytime !!
not to mention the phone never slowed down, amazing. that said. times change, it got old.

looked/searched and looked some more. passed on everything from note 8 to s9+ to v30 the pixel and the mate 10 pro. i mean i passed on them all.

then, along came the p20 pro:).... wow bye bye mate 9 hello P20 PRO.....:):):)

Oh that camera. that totaly over-rated camera. i hated it. sure 1 out of 20 pics maybe outstanding but it seemed to mess up the mose basic picture. man i was so disapointed in that camera. not to mention the lack of 3.5 jack. and that notch. sure you can hide it but then with that front FPS at time you'll hold the phone upside down. one of the most disapointing phones ive ever owned.

the Note 9 has been a blessing.. love the camera and not because its better then the p20 pro but becuase i can count on it to get the shot. 17 out of 20 times.

the note 9 hands down is now my top phone ive ever owned !

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
The p20 pro is a great phone. Its pictures can be amazing. I find the camera to be very inconsistent. I would probably trade my p20 in for a note, not the other way around.

My experience with to n9 and a p20 pro is that the note 9 camera is way less consistent than the p20.

rajeshr68

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a PD Huawei Mate RS for a few months and it was one of the best designs I've owned so far. The camera would give you excellent results if you were willing to work for it (manual mode, B&W). What really screwed it was the horrible software (EMUI) - inconsistent notifications, overzealous power management!

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
camera wise note 9 is amazing...be it day or night...p20 pro looks amazing and all but basic things missing like 3.5mm Jack to sd card slot and I guess they don't have wireless charging as well..I think as of now note 9 is the most complete phone in the market.....

Seanetta

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
I had a PD Huawei Mate RS for a few months and it was one of the best designs I've owned so far. The camera would give you excellent results if you were willing to work for it (manual mode, B&W). What really screwed it was the horrible software (EMUI) - inconsistent notifications, overzealous power management!

But it isn't like that anymore like it used to be. And it's easily turned off

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch