Android 13 - Battery drain

guitardoc64

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It seems this happens after every Android update for a lot of users... but then the complaints seem to go away after a while. I think multiple restarts are a big factor in how quickly a new Android update settles in. I restart my phone every night, and do multiple restarts after an Android version update (as well as security updates), and I've been fortunate enough to never experience any battery drain.

Also, if you can, do a cache partition wipe... I do those after every update as well if the phone will let me ;) And in the worst case scenario, I've seen a factory reset fix the problem :eek: ;) But then the nuclear option tends to fix most problems lol.
I did a few restarts and it seems much better. Before I did that I could see the battery going down a point every few seconds.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed worse battery life since the update. But it's hard for me to know if it's update related or weak cell signal when I'm at work that leads too the drain. Hoping whichever cause, or both, improve.

Pixel69

Dec 21, 2021
Visit site
update: getting better. Many restarts and turned off: adaptive conductivity and "mobile data always active" in developer options. Which if turning off any of these things are causing the battery drain to improve? Not sure. Maybe the OS is doing actions in the background for a couple days after the update?

Last edited:

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Battery life suffers for a time after the install of a new version of Android. Been that way for years. No, not for everyone, but for most. Eventually it settles down and recovers.

That said, however, it's never been this dramatic. Right now I'm using 4.1% of battery per hour, with no change to my usage habits. With a stable install of 12 I was averaging 1.7%, 1.8%. Rarely more than 2%.

Looking forward to the dust settling!

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I think after a major update the battery re-learns usage patterns. For a few days you may see different patterns than you're used to. It will go back to normal. I've not really noticed much difference.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if other users do this, but for most non Google apps, I've always restricted battery usage while in the background. Since I've gotten A13, on two occasions the operating system has decided it doesn't like me doing that and has reverted this setting to "optimized" for all apps on its own. Has this happened to anyone else?

settings>apps>pick any app>battery>restricted

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm here, another user representing greater battery drain since updating to Android 13. I don't have 5G so I just changed "preferred network type" to LTE to see if that makes a difference.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Mine started out well. The first couple of days I noticed less battery drain for both active use and while idle overnight.

Suddenly, my phone seems to be overheating a lot more often and both active and idle battery drain has increased. Trying to figure it out, whether it is a rogue app or something system wide.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I haven't kept a close eye, but at least I'm not seeing any significant drain on my pixel 6 pro that made me take notice.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This would be perfect video for everyone to watch:

https://youtu.be/R8ca_MfWs0E
I get what you're saying but I don't think this is the case at all. When I first got this phone last year the battery didn't drain like this. The "phone idle" drain over the last 24 hours is the 2nd highest at 13%. I've barely used the phone this morning since waking up at 7:30am and currently at 12:40pm I'm at 78%

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
My "phone idle" drain for the trailing 24 hrs has been between 24-28% of battery usage for days. Doesn't seem to be settling down any. The "mobile network" and "ambient display" categories are next in the 10-15% range each. App usage has not been a problem.
:(

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
And now at 44% and it's not even 6pm. I used to end the day at around 9:30-10 with 45%
I've noticed a lot of drain too with 13. I just turned off 5G. I'm going to see if that helps the battery. I'll give it a couple days and see if it makes a difference.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Give it a week. Keep in mind too that it can only take 1 or 2 apps that lack optimization to do terrible things to battery life. Keep an eye on the processes using the most battery and work backwards from there to determine which apps are tapping into those processes.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Give it a week. Keep in mind too that it can only take 1 or 2 apps that lack optimization to do terrible things to battery life. Keep an eye on the processes using the most battery and work backwards from there to determine which apps are tapping into those processes.
The biggest drains are my mobile network and phone idle. 30 minutes of mobile network has drained 24% and phone idle has drained 19%. All the apps seem to be fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timeless1