Android 13 Dark Mode on Google Assistant

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm happy so far with the new update to Android 13 on my Pixel 6. However, the one thing I don't like is the Google Assistant automatically going into Dark Mode after a voice command. Any idea how to reset this to a lighter screen?

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm happy so far with the new update to Android 13 on my Pixel 6. However, the one thing I don't like is the Google Assistant automatically going into Dark Mode after a voice command. Any idea how to reset this to a lighter screen?
If you have Dark Mode turned on in Display Settings then Assistant will be in dark mode. I don't think there is any way to make Assistant an exception.

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks but I don't have Dark Mode turned on and don't use DM. If I try to change it in Theme it doesn't make any difference.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks but I don't have Dark Mode turned on and don't use DM. If I try to change it in Theme it doesn't make any difference.
I turned my Dark Mode off and activated Assistant. It is dark, so that just may be how Android works with Assistant.
Maybe someone will suggest an app that will let you have more granular control or such things, or just do a search to find one.

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. It's never done this previously so I would hope Google will give us the choice of whether to use Dark Mode or not with the Assistant.

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps I'm one of the few people who doesn't like and use Dark Mode then! Bit surprised after all the months of Beta testing etc that this wasn't picked up?

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps I'm one of the few people who doesn't like and use Dark Mode then! Bit surprised after all the months of Beta testing etc that this wasn't picked up?
I asked my wife what color was her Assistant response on her P4A and her P6a before A13 and she thinks it's always been black. We use the Assistant many times a day to control lights and wall plugs. I don't recall the visual response to be any other color than black as well. Certainly makes it easier to read.
So I think that this is a case of one person's preferred feature is another's bug. I haven't read anyone else complaining about this in this forum or reddit. So I chalk it up to personal preference.

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Before the update to A13 on my Pixel 6 it was always lighter not Dark Mode. It might be a generational thing (ie I'm old!). It would be good to have the choice. There are some other comments on it online if not in these forums.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Before the update to A13 on my Pixel 6 it was always lighter not Dark Mode. It might be a generational thing (ie I'm old!). It would be good to have the choice. There are some other comments on it online if not in these forums.
Then this really boils down to being a personal preference rather than a bug or issue. Of course it is always good to have choices.

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't really matter but if the change was unintended then it is presumably a bug. If it is a deterioration for me (and some others) then it is an issue for me/us. Not really important and I would get over it! Out of interest, do most people now use Dark Mode then? None of my friends in the UK use it.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't really matter but if the change was unintended then it is presumably a bug. If it is a deterioration for me (and some others) then it is an issue for me/us. Not really important and I would get over it! Out of interest, do most people now use Dark Mode then? None of my friends in the UK use it.

For my eyes, dark mode is much worse. Causes strain very quickly. I also have to keep the brightness pretty low (30%ish) to be able to use things comfortably.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
For my eyes, dark mode is much worse. Causes strain very quickly. I also have to keep the brightness pretty low (30%ish) to be able to use things comfortably.
And I'm just the opposite. I find "white" mode to be very uncomfortable and causes strain to my eyes. Dark Mode doesn't bother my eyes at all and makes the type easier to read without any strain at all. Turning on Dark Mode is one of the first adjustments I make on my phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress